Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Vietnam General Discussion Thread (Where to go? Which hotel? etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vietnam General Discussion Thread (Where to go? Which hotel? etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2005, 11:43 am

Sorry to be repetitive -- but what about Golds?

Repeating my post of earlier . . . any info on what lowly golds can expect to recieve at the HCMC location? Executive Lounge floor rooms, or even access? Can't decide whether to stay here on my own dime or not. I'm going over a weekend in October and am told that is not likely to be a very busy time for tourism in HCMC.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 8:55 pm

We are going as a bunch of friends, on holiday. Want to explore, eat, shop and get a real awesome taste for both SGN and HAN. Definately going to to Halong Bay one day from HAN. Any other thoughts?
Old Aug 7, 2005, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rasputin
Repeating my post of earlier . . . any info on what lowly golds can expect to recieve at the HCMC location? Executive Lounge floor rooms, or even access? Can't decide whether to stay here on my own dime or not. I'm going over a weekend in October and am told that is not likely to be a very busy time for tourism in HCMC.

As a Gold on a reward stay in late January, was given a room on the SPG floor (18 I think), nothing else special. But the hotel is very very nice, service excellent, location good.

room service - the reason the elevators from the 23rd floor restaurant/bar/club don't stop at the rooms is simple -- security. Separating the hotel traffic from the club traffic. It's a pretty good idea if you ask me and eliminated the need for an entirely separate elevator bank for the club, and this gives them more flexibility to have more elevator service to the guest floors during the day when the club is closed.
If you're so interested in bringing lady friends up to your room, there are probably lots of other places that would welcome your business...
Old Aug 9, 2005, 2:22 pm

Programs: United 1k SPG Platinum Marriott lifetime Titanium
[QUOTE=Rasputin]Repeating my post of earlier . . . any info on what lowly golds can expect to recieve at the HCMC location? Executive Lounge floor rooms, or even access? Can't decide whether to stay here on my own dime or not. I'm going over a weekend in October and am told that is not likely to be a very busy time for tourism in HCMC.

The staff at the Sheraton in Ho Chi Minh City on the Executive floor/lounge which is on the 21st Floor are wonderful. I will call them later and find out how they treat Gold member and will report it to you then.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by airbust
We are going as a bunch of friends, on holiday. Want to explore, eat, shop and get a real awesome taste for both SGN and HAN. Definately going to to Halong Bay one day from HAN. Any other thoughts?
If you are planning to visit Hanoi then you should try the Sheraton there. In Hanoi you have Halong Bay. It cost my family $300 USD for 5 adults and 2 kids to rent a private van, driver, private boat and lunch cooked fresh on the boat to Halong Bay. Its an all day trip. I believe it was 3 hours each way driving. Also when you are in Hanoi you should try to see the Water Puppet show. The have that lake thats in the mid of the city that wraps around the hotel. You could either contact the hotel before you arrive to set up a pickup at the airport for $50 USD or use a taxi van there for about $ 20 to $30 USD.

Once you are in Saigon theres a Bar right underneath the Opera House called Q Bar. Great place to grab a drink and hang out with friends. Also you have Seventeen Bar. Not sure what you are interested in seeing and doing in Vietnam. If you need anymore info just feel free to ask .
Old Aug 10, 2005, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Rasputin

I just spoke to the people on the Executive Floor regarding what Gold members will usually receive as a Gold Member. If the hotel is not busy on the dates that you have or will book then they will give you an upgrade from your 35m room to a 43m or if they could to the 55m room. No Executive Lounge benefits at all without booking and paying for it. Also I was told that Gold Members will be able to receive late 4PM check out. Hope that helps in making your decision.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 4:48 am

Thumbs up Thanks for the valuable feedback

[QUOTE=ijgordon]As a Gold on a reward stay in late January, was given a room on the SPG floor (18 I think), nothing else special. But the hotel is very very nice, service excellent, location good.

Originally Posted by jocelynt
I just spoke to the people on the Executive Floor regarding what Gold members will usually receive as a Gold Member. If the hotel is not busy on the dates that you have or will book then they will give you an upgrade from your 35m room to a 43m or if they could to the 55m room. No Executive Lounge benefits at all without booking and paying for it. Also I was told that Gold Members will be able to receive late 4PM check out. Hope that helps in making your decision.
Thanks very much to both of you. I really appreciate the follow-up. Any other input from other FTers is still very much welcome and appreciated. I've got a while to go until my trip, and still enough time and enough points to try to decide whether to stay here, the Renaissance or just pay for a more modest local spot. Thanks again.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1k, UA MM, MB Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat (ha ha), Hertz Pres, etc.
Stayed at the Siagon Sheraton for our honeymoon last year. What a great hotel. We stayed a couple different time. Once in a 'Junior Suite' the other in a full suite. The Junior Suite was bigger than most suites I've stayed in stateside. The electric curtains, fruit bowl, two dozen roses and other touches were very, very much appreciated. The hotel is new and nice. The good size breakfast in the exec lounge is good. The buffet downstairs (which we got as Plats, not sure about Golds), was unbeleviable - and usually pretty expensive. I would not hesitate to stay there! If you have the points, use them. You can't get a hotel this nice stateside for under 12,000 points. And the service, better than anywhere here other than maybe the St. Regis....

Just my 2 cents...

jk
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by masonuc
Anyone have advice here? The Sheraton Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) seems way overpriced ($150+ a night). You can buy a house for that much in Vietnam. Hanoi Sheraton is about 1/2 the price. Are either of these hotels worth it compared to other options in the city? How are platinum upgrades? Platinum amenities?

If the hotel was $110.00 per night, wouldn't that still buy a house in Vietnam?
Old Aug 22, 2005, 5:52 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Sheraton Saigon Email?

Anyone had any luck getting a response to email sent to [email protected]? Or is there another email anyone is aware of? Can't seem to get anyone's attention at the Sheraton Saigon. Thanks.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
Anyone had any luck getting a response to email sent to [email protected]? Or is there another email anyone is aware of? Can't seem to get anyone's attention at the Sheraton Saigon. Thanks.
I received a very prompt and enthusiastic message to a question I posed regarding use of points. The signoff read as follows:

"Should we be of any further assistance please feel free to contact us any time.

Thanks, Di

Tran Thuy Ngan Di (Ms.)
Assistant Reservation Manager
Shertaton Saigon Hotel & Towers
88 Dong Khoi Street, District 1
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Tel: 848 - 827 2828
Fax: 848 - 827 4009
Email: [email protected]
Old Aug 22, 2005, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA1K, IC RA, *wood Plt, AA EXP, LH Sen, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, EK Gold
Just completed 4 night stay at Sheraton Saigon. Booked an executive deluxe. Contacted Thran before a few times (very considerate and pleasant Lady) and was told in her last e-mail that my upgrade to an Executive Studio would be confirmed upon check-in as a Gold member. Upon check-in, MY at the reception desk told me "no upgrades for Gold members, only for Plats". When I asked her for membership guide, she gave me "join SPG application form". When I mentioned Mrs. Thrang and the e-mails from her, they had all except the last one?! I had a hard copy of that e-mail and presented her with it and ... she still kept on telling me the same ... "no upgrades for Golds". Spoke to a manager on duty next, the same story. Both insisted that upgrades are only for Plats. Finally, after talking to the reservation manager and Mr. Andy Belamonte, the GM, they both agreed with me and I was upgraded. When getting keys to my room later on, both MY and the manager on duty kept on repeating that there are no upgrades for Golds. I had no comments. Just ignored them. If you get anything in writing, keep it! They will pretend not to have it if you do not have it. Mr. Belamonte is a very fine man. Talk to him if you have any problems.

You will not get a lounge access if you do not book it. You can use 1500 starpoints per person to obtain it. As a Gold, you will have a choice of having a breakfast at the lounge or at the Saigon Cafe (buffet style) if you book an executive room. Both breakast and evening snacks/cocktails are very good and tasty. Two great places to eat Vietnamese food in Saigon are :Vietnam House (very affordable) and NAM PHAN (pricey, but delicious in beautiful settings, just behind the Park Hyatt).

Stayed at Sheraton Hanoi for 4 nights as well and took a cruise on Halong Bay on Dragon's Pearl Junk (overnight), both very satisfying experiences, but my plane from HKG to ORD departs shortly -- have to go.

Enjoy your stay! It is a great and very scenic country.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 6:28 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Took three emails, but finally got a response out of [email protected] when I sent the third message from my work email. Seems sending from a well-known corporate address gets prompt attention. Odd as I had the same reservation info in each email.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 6:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Just as a followup as I stayed at both these hotels.

Sheraton Saigon was fantastic. Got a great upgrade to a beautiful suite (I am a Plat) and service was great.

Even at half the price, Sheraton Hanoi was a big disappointment, and not just because I didn't get an upgrade (over two stays).
Old Sep 6, 2005, 6:54 am

Programs: Member of Many but, sadly, a Post-Elite Life
Question

masonuc,

Could you please detail the "challenges" you faced at the Hanoi property?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by masonuc
Just as a followup as I stayed at both these hotels.

Sheraton Saigon was fantastic. Got a great upgrade to a beautiful suite (I am a Plat) and service was great.

Even at half the price, Sheraton Hanoi was a big disappointment, and not just because I didn't get an upgrade (over two stays).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.