Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RogerD408
If you see only Marriott account activity / points when logging into SPG.com: (as of August 19)

If you use the same email address and password on both SPG.com and Marriott.com, logging in appears to take you to your Marriott account by default. Try using your SPG account number and password to log in.

If you use the same email address and different passwords, each password should take you to each separate account. You need to log completely out to switch accounts.

It may be helpful to use different browsers or an incognito/private browsing window to be able to access both accounts without confusing your browser.

Also, regardless, be sure to uncheck the Remember Me before logging in to make account selection easier until you have combined your accounts and have a single login again.

Try https://www.marriott.com/default.mi?program=spg&reset=true to access your SPG account.
Print Wikipost

Systems Outage Update

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: UA*1K, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
I'm not seeing any activity dated after 7/Aug/18 in my new SPG account , nor is it showing SPG bookings I made in the days leading up to 18/Aug.

So , even though it's Monday, I hope they are still working on this !

I won't be merging my accounts until these problems are sorted - it could only make things more difficult.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Keyser
i'm not getting the option to combine accounts....logged in both using spg & marriott but no luck....
Same here - no option at all when logged in with my legacy-Marriott account, and the option is there when logged in with the legacy SPG-account, yet there is nothing to click/do to start the process.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: AY*PL, TK*ELPL, AF*PL, HH*Diam, MR*Plat
For me, all of my SPG activity after June 30 has disappeared. I‘ve noticed a few people saying they have parts of their history missing - but has anyone had all nights over six weeks just disappear?

I hope this is temporar and will be fixed soon!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Can log back into my new account but the problems yesterday are still there:

1. Incorrect night count for 2018 (missing 2 nights from July - also missing from the Account Activity)
2. Incorrect lifetime night count (they’ve added 2018 activity to the lifetime count that already includes 2018 activity)
3. Incorrect Lifetime Status (should be LT Gold because I was before)
4. No spend count for the year (don’t care but there’s a field for it)
5. Old address under Profile (I changed this last week so it’s an indication how old the database they used to migrate the account data was)

On the positive side, the Earn Preferences is now set to Points not Miles like yesterday, the total Points is correct and the Free Night Award is showing correctly.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:53 am

Cannot log into SPG - keeps saying unavailable. When I log into MAR it looks like my points have been calculated correctly X 3 and all adds up. All of my previous SPG reservations have transferred over to MAR but all my MAR reservations are gone?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
None of my issues were fixed overnight. I work on data conversions and systems migrations for a living, and I have to say this has been a mess.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:02 am

I'm unable to sign into SPG at all. Tried:

spg.com sites
marriott.com sites
email/member #

I can sign into Marriott - but that's had no change to it since this merger, so it's been fine.

Was there any staggering for members to be transitioned - because right now my SPG account is completely offline.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by khaosspawn
I'm unable to sign into SPG at all. Tried:

spg.com sites
marriott.com sites
email/member #

I can sign into Marriott - but that's had no change to it since this merger, so it's been fine.

Was there any staggering for members to be transitioned - because right now my SPG account is completely offline.
I'm not able to validate this, but I read in another post here that if you had both MR & SPG accounts, and you had the exact same email specified for both accounts, and the exact same password specified on both accounts, that you can't log into the SPG account for some reason at this time.

Can't validate whether or not that's true as my Marriott & SPG accounts used the same email address, but had different passwords, and I can log into either.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by phltraveler
I'm not able to validate this, but I read in another post here that if you had both MR & SPG accounts, and you had the exact same email specified for both accounts, and the exact same password specified on both accounts, that you can't log into the SPG account for some reason at this time.

Can't validate whether or not that's true as my Marriott & SPG accounts used the same email address, but had different passwords, and I can log into either.
My accounts are different user & pass. Marriott works fine. SPG is not working at all. I don't even know my new member number for my SPG account.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
My accounts are different user & pass. Marriott works fine. SPG is not working at all. I don't even know my new member number for my SPG account.
You have to use your old SPG member number first, then it'll tell you what your new member number for the SPG account under merged program is and to create a password for that account.

To reduce confusion and any browser cache/cookie issues, I've been dealing with my legacy MR account out of Chromium (un-branded build of Google Chrome) and my SPG account out of Mozilla Firefox.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: FB Platinum, AA Plat/2MM, SPG Plat/LT Gold
Can finally login to my SPG account, however cannot update my earning preference to points. Allows me to make the change, but does not stick, both on app and desktop. Cannot login to Marriott at all.

Lifetime status on SPG also incorrect.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by bgriff
It's just incredibly poor form design to have a site plastered with logos from one brand that, without any guidance to the user, lets you log in to two different accounts using the same user name (your email address). I can appreciate why it made sense to Marriott to have the SPG site updated in this way (and I've never been a Ritz rewards member but I imagine this is how the site long handled the split personality between Marriott and Ritz rewards), but they should have done it such that the SPG-branded site will only let you log into legacy SPG accounts, even if it is hosted on Marriott.com.

If someone has the same email and password on both their SPG and Marriott accounts and doesn't know their SPG account number off the top of their head, they currently have no way to access their SPG account.

Compare this to the airline mergers where, as I recall, there were numerous clear communications about "this is your username in each program, here is which one will survive, here is how you will need to log in as of X date". Marriott is apparently going to get there in the next few days as they start inviting people to combine accounts but the situation today is very sloppy.
It was a design decision and I think well implemented. The dual accounts is a temporary solution and not intended for long-term. From what I recall reading about the MR and RC memberships, you were one or the other, not both. And actually I believe you can see the targeted brand in the URL. When I select my old SPG link, I see https://www.marriott.com/default.mi?...spg&reset=true showing program=spg, I don't know all the underlying code, but it looks like that will head you to the right account. They had to pick something and they did. It might not be what you or I would have chosen, but it is what it is, not likely to change now.

I don't even want to address the foolishness of using the same email/password on multiple hackable sites. There are way too many solutions to that issue too.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:08 am

All starwood links now go to: https://www.marriott.com/default.mi?program=spg

Trying my old account number or email:
Please correct the following and try again. User ID and/or password is incorrect
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:13 am

It's good to hear that some people are able to log into their SPG accounts. I haven't been able to log into my SPG account (in incognito mode) using my old SPG credentials the entire weekend.

If I use my member number, I get a sign-in error. If I use my email address (and SPG password), I get this:

"This service is temporarily unavailable. But don't worry, we're on it. Please try again later."

Last edited by pl804; Aug 20, 2018 at 7:15 am Reason: Update
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
All starwood links now go to: https://www.marriott.com/default.mi?program=spg

Trying my old account number or email:
Same. I have not been able to login to my SPG account. Have tried the website and mobile app, tried using my member number, email, and username. Nothing has worked since the Saturday migration.

I contacted Marriott.com support via https://www.marriott.com/marriott/contact.mi and will post here if I hear anything back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.