Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Points-Obsessed Travelers Are Terrified of Losing Perks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points-Obsessed Travelers Are Terrified of Losing Perks

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I usually stay above 90 nights/year. However, some of the nights come from multi room night credit. Without that feature, the count will drop to around 60-70. Still can reach platinum at the new program.

Since I cant get SPG/Marriott co branded card, the earning reduction wont affect me at all.

The only possible concern I can think will be:
1. Since there will be another distinct tier above plt (plt premier at 75 and above) would it means for plts, they will be put into lower priority in terms of upgrade?

2. The loss of multi room nights credit. Without that feature, I might shift the excess stays to different chain. I feel its pointless to do matress run for more than 5 nights/ year.
At 95nights, I will be definitely tempted to gain extra 5 nights for plt premier with ambassador. But at 60 nights, doing extra 15 nights for plt premier is not that appealing to me. Might as well try other hotel for those 10 nights above 50.

Personally, I wont be worry too much about the merge. Most likely will continue staying at Starriotts hotels and keep looking for better programs with footprint that I require
unclepants likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kaizen7
I usually stay above 90 nights/year. However, some of the nights come from multi room night credit. Without that feature, the count will drop to around 60-70. Still can reach platinum at the new program.

Since I cant get SPG/Marriott co branded card, the earning reduction wont affect me at all.

The only possible concern I can think will be:
1. Since there will be another distinct tier above plt (plt premier at 75 and above) would it means for plts, they will be put into lower priority in terms of upgrade?

2. The loss of multi room nights credit. Without that feature, I might shift the excess stays to different chain. I feel its pointless to do matress run for more than 5 nights/ year.
At 95nights, I will be definitely tempted to gain extra 5 nights for plt premier with ambassador. But at 60 nights, doing extra 15 nights for plt premier is not that appealing to me. Might as well try other hotel for those 10 nights above 50.

Personally, I wont be worry too much about the merge. Most likely will continue staying at Starriotts hotels and keep looking for better programs with footprint that I require
Don't forget that going forward, PPwithAmbassador will require not only 100 nights but also $20,000 in eligible spend, however that's defined.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:45 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Personally, I hope so At legacy Marriott properties using Marsha, the hotel can see the guest is a Plat Premier. Not every hotel does, but many prioritize upgrades for Plat Premiers. Unfortunately, that number will be at least tripling At legacy Starwood properties using Lightspeed, however, its a bit unclear. As I understand, a Starwood property wouldn't know if you're a plat with 100 nights or one with 25 one night stays so the Starwood's best customers would be in the same priority as those with 25 one night stays. Of course, all hotels have the ability to recognize repeat guests, meeting organizers, etc., It's unclear if they are going to change the Lightspeed system to recognize Plat Premiers but I hope so.

And ... the title of the article is a bit inconsistent ... points obsessed seeems different than perks obsessed.

Of course, some of us like both
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Personally, I hope so At legacy Marriott properties using Marsha, the hotel can see the guest is a Plat Premier. Not every hotel does, but many prioritize upgrades for Plat Premiers. Unfortunately, that number will be at least tripling At legacy Starwood properties using Lightspeed, however, its a bit unclear. As I understand, a Starwood property wouldn't know if you're a plat with 100 nights or one with 25 one night stays so the Starwood's best customers would be in the same priority as those with 25 one night stays. Of course, all hotels have the ability to recognize repeat guests, meeting organizers, etc., It's unclear if they are going to change the Lightspeed system to recognize Plat Premiers but I hope so.

And ... the title of the article is a bit inconsistent ... points obsessed seeems different than perks obsessed.

Of course Plat Premier is at least tripling, because it’s really just the new name for Platinum. PP w/Ambassador is more along the lines of the old PP.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:49 am

deleted
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by C17PSGR

if i remember correctly, SPG system doesnt show any difference between plt lite (25 stays) plt (50 nights) plt heavy (75nights) and plt ambassador (unless the ambassador contact the hotel)

as Marriott did differentiate the tier name (plt vs plt p) I would guess there will be higher priority for plt p.

SPG plters wont be happy though but then again SPG will be history in 11 days (12 for usa members i believe)
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Andyman61
I don't know about 'obsession' but it's clear to me that Marriott will quickly dumb-down the once "special" program that was SPG. Just this morning I called to cancel my SPG AMEX (after 17 years). Why? Because I'm LT Plat (or was ) at SPG, I used to get 1 point for every dollar (going to 2 - a 33% reduction) and it just isn't worth it anymore. Nothing is sacred, nothing is special. Marriott wants to get over this speed-bump with the SPG members and in six months it won't matter anyway. They are lousy at posting points and they are diminishing the loyalty (which was well-deserved) of the SPG members in the process. They may not care- they are the winners in the purchase, but there are other hotel chains out there and for the first time in 20 years, I'm shopping around. I hated Marriott before they bought Starwood for a variety of reasons and those reasons still exist. They are cheap.
Consolidation in any industry is rarely if ever good for the consumer
Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:17 am
Original Poster
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist

if i remember correctly, SPG system doesnt show any difference between plt lite (25 stays) plt (50 nights) plt heavy (75nights) and plt ambassador (unless the ambassador contact the hotel)

as Marriott did differentiate the tier name (plt vs plt p) I would guess there will be higher priority for plt p.

SPG plters wont be happy though but then again SPG will be history in 11 days (12 for usa members i believe)
What people aren’t recognizing is that in SPG’s system a list is sent to the hotel each day with a “suggested order” for upgrades. This algorithm most surely considers Plat 25, Plat 50, Plat 75, Plat 100 plus many other factors (probably) including Lifetime Nights, Lifetime Spend, Lifetime Points, Years Elite etc. (the algorithm is proprietary). So while the FDC may not see your status on his/her screen it has been factored in to your suggested upgrade.

Now whether Marriott plans to adopt this system or not is anyone’s guess. (One potential reason they might is that an SPG guy is in charge of Loyalty)

We will see. Marriott has a heck of a challenge ahead of them. The logistics alone are staggering. And as this article highlights- they have a very engaged new base to deal with.

I don’t expect any dramatic differences at Legacy SPG properties in the near future but the next few years will tell the story.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by damon88

What people aren’t recognizing is that in SPG’s system a list is sent to the hotel each day with a “suggested order” for upgrades. This algorithm most surely considers Plat 25, Plat 50, Plat 75, Plat 100 plus many other factors (probably) including Lifetime Nights, Lifetime Spend, Lifetime Points, Years Elite etc. (the algorithm is proprietary). So while the FDC may not see your status on his/her screen it has been factored in to your suggested upgrade.
I think what matters more is how many suites are available and for what dates and if that matches up with how many days you are planning to be there. Also history with the hotel and who you know will have more impact than which tier of Plat you are.
kaizen7 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:54 pm

The party is over, it was fun while it lasted.

FWIW my SPG AMEX is lost somewhere...thats about how much I use that card. I think I've only put maybe 4 transactions on it in the past 2 years.

Switched over to Fine Hotels & Resorts program through amex platinum.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:57 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I gave up at this paragraph:

The nightmare scenario was that Marriott might follow suit and tie redemption values directly to the price of the room—potentially making mattress runs, hot sheets, and all other manner of bedding arbitrage worth substantially less. Of perhaps equal concern: the possibility that Starwood’s hip hotels would be overrun by the sorts of people who—given the choice—had preferred to stay with Marriott. SPGers, by this way of thinking, were culturally savvy; Marriott enthusiasts were captives of convenience.
I don't really have much skin in the game: I would say my Starwood vs. Marriott breakdown is about 40/60, but the use of overrun like this was Dawn of the Dead caused enough eye rolling for me to X out of the article.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:33 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Yeah these sorts of speculation-fueled handwringing stories are total clickbait.

Like, the idea that SPG members are some sort of high-class sophisticates is pretty dumb on its face. The idea that "marriott people" are going to "overrun" SPG properties and "SPG people" are not going to do the same with marriott properties is also pretty dumb.

I mean, if we're just going on bare speculation and don't have to provide any data... Usually that particular objection is specifically brought up when it comes to lounges. SPG grants lounge access with a much smaller level of effort from the guest (as few as 25 nights!) so I would think a higher percentage of SPG crossovers would be sampling lounges than the opposite.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by pvn
Yeah these sorts of speculation-fueled handwringing stories are total clickbait.

Like, the idea that SPG members are some sort of high-class sophisticates is pretty dumb on its face. The idea that "marriott people" are going to "overrun" SPG properties and "SPG people" are not going to do the same with marriott properties is also pretty dumb.

I mean, if we're just going on bare speculation and don't have to provide any data... Usually that particular objection is specifically brought up when it comes to lounges. SPG grants lounge access with a much smaller level of effort from the guest (as few as 25 nights!) so I would think a higher percentage of SPG crossovers would be sampling lounges than the opposite.
The funny thing is that the deal docs make clear that the main basis for the transaction was that SPGers were spending lots of nights at random lower tier properties ... it was an extremely high percentage relative to Marriott ... so by buying Starwood, Marriott could get the "SPGers" to stay in Courtyards and Fairfields that than HGI/Hampton Inn/Hyatt Place/etc.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
Originally Posted by pvn

Perceptions can be real and powerful, in terms of customer behavior. This may be a case where perception trumps data. SPG has/had a brand identity. Marriott has a brand identity. In the past, SPG loyalists would give business in part to association with SPG's brand identity. Should Marriott not be able to maintain SPG's brand identity and qualities, some SPG loyalists may choose to stay elsewhere.

Despite an absence of supporting data, a perception may persist that SPG's integration with Marriott will change SPG's identity, including the perceived guest profile.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:52 pm

I was lifetime plat in both SPG & MR. SPG always had such a distasteful element of status flaunting that it always left me feeling icky watching those around me checking in. It figures those kind of people would be 'terrified'. Marriott was always much more predictable, comfortable and dependable. I don't care for or even desire suites unless I am traveling with someone, which is almost assuredly the time I won't be getting one (longer stays, popular properties, etc.). Who needs that suite on a one night stay by yourself in Omaha? That's why most of my stays in the long run went to Marriott.

The AX SPG card however... that card was the bomb once MR-SPG merged. (SPG was never that great a redemption value at the top tiers, but SPGx3>MR opened up a lot of great redemption values.) My spend has dropped from ~$5k+/mo to $0 starting a couple weeks ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.