FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Points-Obsessed Travelers Are Terrified of Losing Perks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1922880-points-obsessed-travelers-terrified-losing-perks.html)

damon88 Aug 1, 18 2:52 pm

Points-Obsessed Travelers Are Terrified of Losing Perks
 
Interesting article in Bloomberg about the merger

A few excerpts:

Starwood fans fear Marriott mediocrity in the world's largest hospitality merger.

The success of the megamerger still depends on winning over a group of customers who’ve always viewed Marriott members as dupes. Edward Pizzarello, a venture capitalist who spends 100 nights a year in Starwood hotels, puts it this way: “They had Stockholm syndrome.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...am-to-the-test

controller1 Aug 1, 18 2:54 pm


Originally Posted by damon88 (Post 30036545)
Interesting article in Bloomberg about the merger

A few excerpts:

Starwood fans fear Marriott mediocrity in the world's largest hospitality merger.

The success of the megamerger still depends on winning over a group of customers who’ve always viewed Marriott members as dupes. Edward Pizzarello, a venture capitalist who spends 100 nights a year in Starwood hotels, puts it this way: “They had Stockholm syndrome.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...am-to-the-test

Posted an hour earlier in another thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30036314-post146.html

RafKa Aug 1, 18 3:39 pm

Paging Ed Pizzarello... are you on FT? :D

damon88 Aug 1, 18 3:45 pm


Originally Posted by controller1 (Post 30036556)
Posted an hour earlier in another thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30036314-post146.html

Did a quick search and didn't see it


Thanks !

margarita girl Aug 1, 18 4:26 pm


Originally Posted by RafKa (Post 30036713)
Paging Ed Pizzarello... are you on FT? :D

He used to be. Pizzaman. I believe he spends his time on the other website now.

3Cforme Aug 1, 18 5:12 pm

As for objective info, the Bloomberg article mentions a total of 21 million SPG accounts at time of acquisition.

rrgg Aug 1, 18 9:37 pm

Pizzarello also has a blog of his own.

Thanks for posting the article.

I’d like to know what percentage of revenue the Starwood Amex contributed to SPG and now MR, because it will quickly approach $0. In another article it was listed as amex’s second largest loyalty base and cardmembers are not stupid.

mahasamatman Aug 1, 18 10:34 pm


Originally Posted by rrgg (Post 30037684)
I’d like to know what percentage of revenue the Starwood Amex contributed to SPG and now MR, because it will quickly approach $0.

Uhhh, no.

rrgg Aug 2, 18 5:58 am

deleted

rrgg Aug 2, 18 6:03 am

No? Outside of using it at MR properties, can I ask why would someone spend anything on it? If you read through the last 2 months of posts in the other thread, lots of people are making it a "sock drawer" card, keeping it for hotel spending and the free night only.

GrayAnderson Aug 2, 18 7:22 am

I will be sock drawer-ing mine for the most part. It may still get some incidental use, but the emphasis is going to be on "incidental"... I'm honestly torn about even using it at Starriott properties. It's something of a toss-up between that or the CSR card I have, but at least there I'm effectively getting a solid two airline miles per dollar spent plus the bonus for large block transfers and getting a broader selection of airlines than Chase has. It is a tough call, but there is some value in the diversity.

This calculation is also why I will probably just pass on the new Hyatt card in the long run... I really don't see much value in that new card either, and spending an extra 20 bucks for the same hotel night is just silly... not to mention hardly worth it for 2000 points when I can just shoot the existing card and get a new one. There are almost no cases where I feel like I come out ahead on that card.

3Cforme Aug 2, 18 7:27 am


Originally Posted by rrgg (Post 30038598)
No? Outside of using it at MR properties, can I ask why would someone spend anything on it? If you read through the last 2 months of posts in the other thread, lots of people are making it a "sock drawer" card, keeping it for hotel spending and the free night only.

http://www.syracusecityschools.com/t...-m1-topicD.pdf

christianj Aug 2, 18 7:47 am

Actually one of the better and correctly written articles I have seen on our little obsession! Count me in the SPG camp of "I just don't trust Marriott" SPG loyalists.

rrgg Aug 2, 18 8:28 am


Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 30038766)

I didn't literally mean $0. No sure why it was necessary to insult me with that link.

If you're not switching to only putting MR/SPG/Ritz spending on this card, I'm asking why. There are lots of others who are going to $0 everyday spending on this card:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...uation-13.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...thread-87.html

scubadu Aug 2, 18 8:44 am


Originally Posted by christianj (Post 30038837)
<snip> Count me in the SPG camp of "I just don't trust Marriott" SPG loyalists.

Unfortunately, there isn't a bright future in being an SPG loyalist. That ship has sailed.

Regards


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 5:53 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.