Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Member Account Integrity Restricting Accounts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Member Account Integrity Restricting Accounts

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2018, 11:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by M.dA.R.
For example, during the recent BRG debacle I booked and cancelled 50+ stays until I finally got my claims approved.
Wait, are you saying you booked 50+ stays for the sole reason that you cancel them to give you leverage in a BRG dispute? Forgive me sir, but thats a real 'richard' move right there. Not just to spg, but to other members who might have not booked a room, or booked a room at a higher rate because of your shenanigans. Ive been in a tiff with spg before, so much so I threatened to walk my business. They eventually took care of me. But acting in bad faith aint cool.
bosman likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

......For example, during the recent BRG debacle I booked and cancelled 50+ stays until I finally got my claims approved.....
You have too much time on your hands.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:51 am

Programs: HH Dia;SPG Plat;Marriott Plat;GHA Black
they were bookings that are made with the hope that the opening date will be delayed and they can claim compensation (according to the poster)
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:06 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
These sort of actions by Marriott let us understand how they think and operate from the inside.

The way I see it, if the rate plan is cancellable, the property should suck it up. Don't like members asking for compensation? Don't accept reservations until you have a certain opening date. Still concerned? When a date is announced, have a written term on the rate plan, if the hotel opening is delayed, the max compensation is re-accommodating at the same rate + 1k pts. Simple.

It's obviously attractive to book new hotels, and certain group of people do that; bloggers/reviewers, people that enjoy maiden voyage of flights and cruises. There are other ways of guaranteeing opening-day occupancy and holding members liable is definitely not one of them.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by donotblink
..........there have been reports of invalid guarantee methods being used for rooms reserved at hotels that have announced their grand opening date......some of these reservations are either canceled late or not at all leaving the hotels with no recourse for recovering the lost revenue .............
This is the key issue. There are posts where some have used credit cards with incorrect expiration dates or gift cards with $1 left etc.

I don't think you have anything to worry about unless you happened to have a typo when inputting credit card info.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Originally Posted by TerryK
There are posts where some have used credit cards with incorrect expiration dates
IMO, if the system accepts the card, the reservation is valid. You don't penalize the customer for website flaws. The member may have - between the time of booking and staying - updated his/her card number, maxed out his/her card, reported lost of the card due to theft.

Things happen when you travel, the last thing you need is for the hotel group you're loyal to, suspect you of scam.

Even if the guy cancelled 100% of his cancellable stays, he's within the rules. I'll be less sympathetic if the hotel walks him due of his frequent cancellations but you can't take his account away.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
cancellations are common, hotels need to change their policies if they ever have issues, kind of like airlines, for example airlines stopping refunds of full fare F at the gate

doesnt pre authorizing just check rather than putting a hold?
A typical pre-authorization is a temporary charge that reduces your available credit. If it's not finalized within a short time (from a couple of days to maybe a week), it cycles off your account. Some restaurants may run your card a second time to post the final charge and not close out the pre-auth and you're stuck with the pending charge until it cycles.[/quote]

when credit card guarantee is required, and not given, could end up being fraud at some point

is some of this related to award stays? seem to recall some could still require credit card and charge[/QUOTE]
With SPG if you no-show an award stay the property can charge your card rack rate. YOU must make the request to replace that with forfeiting points instead and wait for the refund.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by stant
Wait, are you saying you booked 50+ stays for the sole reason that you cancel them to give you leverage in a BRG dispute? Forgive me sir, but thats a real 'richard' move right there. Not just to spg, but to other members who might have not booked a room, or booked a room at a higher rate because of your shenanigans. Ive been in a tiff with spg before, so much so I threatened to walk my business. They eventually took care of me. But acting in bad faith aint cool.
There were changes made to the BRG program in the last few weeks that make getting a claim approved much harder. And they can only review reservations made and claims submitted within 24 hours of doing so, but they often take longer to reply.

Point being - one needs to make a new reservation for each new BRG submission. That can add up. I'm assuming that's what this poster was doing - not pulling any "moves."

Originally Posted by RogerD408
when credit card guarantee is required, and not given, could end up being fraud at some point

With SPG if you no-show an award stay the property can charge your card rack rate. YOU must make the request to replace that with forfeiting points instead and wait for the refund.
The hotel is supposed to take care of the pre-auth and cancel the reservation if it doesn't work out. A person making a hotel reservation is guilty of fraud? Really? Ugh.

One the second point - you are absolutely correct. I have had to no show once for an award stay due to a medical issue. The property never charged me and kept the points. Months later SPG informed me they were supposed to do the reverse - and given they didn't, SPG refunded my points (which they should have anyways given the medical issue was caused in another SPG hotel...but European hotels are difficult to deal with on matters like this, I found out).
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
The hotel is supposed to take care of the pre-auth and cancel the reservation if it doesn't work out. A person making a hotel reservation is guilty of fraud? Really? Ugh.
Remember, I said "card not given" then there's no way to do a pre-auth, and I doubt drastic action would be taken for a single or even a few events. If it's looking like a chronic occurrence then some research is appropriate. Some properties have systems in place to adjust rates and availability based upon current sales and having someone making many bookings "just in case" should raise a red flag for someone to take a look.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:22 am

Remember, I said "card not given" then there's no way to do a pre-auth, and I doubt drastic action would be taken for a single or even a few events. If it's looking like a chronic occurrence then some research is appropriate. Some properties have systems in place to adjust rates and availability based upon current sales and having someone making many bookings "just in case" should raise a red flag for someone to take a look.
If a card is not provided at booking but is required to guarantee the reservation, the booking cannot (or should not be able to) be completed. If it is, then the error is on Starriott.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
There were changes made to the BRG program in the last few weeks that make getting a claim approved much harder. And they can only review reservations made and claims submitted within 24 hours of doing so, but they often take longer to reply.

Point being - one needs to make a new reservation for each new BRG submission. That can add up. I'm assuming that's what this poster was doing - not pulling any "moves."
It is so evident what I was talking about, that I didn’t even bother to dignify the comment you cite with a reply. Meanspiritidness deserves no response.

Hotels are not supposed to make any preauthorizations on the guarantee credit card unless that is specifically provided for in the reservation’s t&c. Some properties do include provisions of the sort (v.g. JW Marriott Singapore), but most don’t. As I say upthread, if one books many stays several months ahead one would risk running out of credit on the cc if each property decided, at its discretion, to preauthorize the cancellation penalty. On the top of that, cc blocks are known for taking a long time to be returned to the account.

In fact my cc issuer would probably flag and decline a preauthorization if my cc is being physically used in one place and a hotel on the other side of the world tries to preauthorize it.

Hotels can charge the cancellation penalty only if, and when, a reservation is cancelled after the cancellation deadline. No-shows have their own rules and, depending on the t&c, may lead to a charge for the full amount of the booking.

One the second point - you are absolutely correct. I have had to no show once for an award stay due to a medical issue. The property never charged me and kept the points. Months later SPG informed me they were supposed to do the reverse - and given they didn't, SPG refunded my points (which they should have anyways given the medical issue was caused in another SPG hotel...but European hotels are difficult to deal with on matters like this, I found out).
True. However, cancelled award stays are charged for the applicable SPG50 rate, not RACK as was mentioned in the post you cited.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:07 am

It is so evident what I was talking about, that I didn’t even bother to dignify the comment you cite with a reply. Meanspiritidness deserves no response.

Hotels can charge the cancellation penalty only if, and when, a reservation is cancelled after the cancellation deadline. No-shows have their own rules and, depending on the t&c, may lead to a charge for the full amount of the booking.

True. However, cancelled award stays are charged for the applicable SPG50 rate, not RACK as was mentioned in the post you cited.
On the BRG note - I hadn't seen that poster in the BRG threads and just chalked it up to their unfamiliarity with either that program, its process, and/or its recent changes.

Absolutely agree on when they should charge the cancel penalty.

I always wondered how they calculated the forfeiture amount on award stays as it frequently didn't correspond with BAR I was seeing for the room type I booked. SPG50 makes perfect sense - but I assume this is "frozen" for the room type one books, and not increased based on an upgrade? (I certainly wouldn't want to pay SPG50 on a cancelled award complimentarily upgraded to a suite!)
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A typical pre-authorization is a temporary charge that reduces your available credit. If it's not finalized within a short time (from a couple of days to maybe a week), it cycles off your account.
emphasis on it cycles off your account, in terms of booking hotels in advance
and my comment was if people are getting around this to never pay requirement

if hotels have issues, they need to improve their policies

we have already seen cancellations being lengthened, hotels can and will do more whenever they feel need / ability
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miloworld
.....Even if the guy cancelled 100% of his cancellable stays, he's within the rules....
That's correct. The problem is:
Originally Posted by donotblink
................some of these reservations are either canceled late or not at all leaving the hotels with no recourse for recovering the lost revenue .............
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!

no... it really wasnt evident.
cawhite likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.