FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SPG Member Account Integrity Restricting Accounts
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:07 am
btonkid12345

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by M.dA.R.
It is so evident what I was talking about, that I didn’t even bother to dignify the comment you cite with a reply. Meanspiritidness deserves no response.

Hotels can charge the cancellation penalty only if, and when, a reservation is cancelled after the cancellation deadline. No-shows have their own rules and, depending on the t&c, may lead to a charge for the full amount of the booking.

True. However, cancelled award stays are charged for the applicable SPG50 rate, not RACK as was mentioned in the post you cited.
On the BRG note - I hadn't seen that poster in the BRG threads and just chalked it up to their unfamiliarity with either that program, its process, and/or its recent changes.

Absolutely agree on when they should charge the cancel penalty.

I always wondered how they calculated the forfeiture amount on award stays as it frequently didn't correspond with BAR I was seeing for the room type I booked. SPG50 makes perfect sense - but I assume this is "frozen" for the room type one books, and not increased based on an upgrade? (I certainly wouldn't want to pay SPG50 on a cancelled award complimentarily upgraded to a suite!)