Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Invest 56 Nights To Make Lifetime Plat, worth it or not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Invest 56 Nights To Make Lifetime Plat, worth it or not?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2018, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by spgplat21
I agree that the language is somewhat ambiguous, but my thought is that there was no other reason to include that language if that's not what was intended. If they were just talking about earning the previously announced lifetime tiers using combined activity that was already a given based on the initial announcement so no need to clarify that again. Plus, the follow-up confirmation from some of the bloggers after discussions with Marriott added some additional comfort.

But hopefully we'll have 100% confirmation soon.
Yes I agree. If someone has 375 nights and 5 years Platinum with both SPG and MR before Jan 1 2019 it should be equivalent to 750 nights and 10 years Platinum at either SPG or MR.
Old May 15, 2018, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Yes I agree. If someone has 375 nights and 5 years Platinum with both SPG and MR before Jan 1 2019 it should be equivalent to 750 nights and 10 years Platinum at either SPG or MR.
Why? If all those nights had been in SPG alone, they would only have five years Plat and would not be anywhere close to LTP, although they would probably have enjoyed the services of an Ambassador for most of this five year period and other SPG elite benefits. OTOH, if the 750 nights had been all on the MR side, they might be LTP but it's more likely that they would be short of the 2,000,000 lifetime points.

Old May 15, 2018, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why? If all those nights had been in SPG alone, they would only have five years Plat and would not be anywhere close to LTP, although they would probably have enjoyed the services of an Ambassador for most of this five year period and other SPG elite benefits. OTOH, if the 750 nights had been all on the MR side, they might be LTP but it's more likely that they would be short of the 2,000,000 lifetime points.

Come on MSPeconomist. Please jump on the Freeloader LTPP train. Its leaving the station soon. To your point those 5 year Platinum years could be overlapping but I was incorrectly assuming no overlap in my example.
Old May 15, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
As a LTG you will map to Marriott gold. You can do a platinum challenge which is 9 stays in 3 months with Marriott to earn platinum. It will give you the same benefits as SPG platinum from 25 stays. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...d-threads.html

Last edited by geminidreams; May 15, 2018 at 8:46 pm Reason: add link
Old May 15, 2018, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
OP - if you decide to do a 56-night "epic" MR, please do blog it*.

*unless you plan to just check-in and sleep
Old May 15, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Are you eligible for a platinum challenge, then you only need 18 nights.
Old May 15, 2018, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Booking 3x SPG rooms/night is plain crazy given the much easier, cheaper, and quicker MR $100 meeting room for 10 night plan
Old May 16, 2018, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: plat, aa. spg.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Keep in mind if you go for option #3 , that can include the 10 nights per meeting room at MR properties. That may make it cheaper.
Thanks RogerD, I'm considering that option. But that going that route would also increase my jump my qualification number from 500 to 600.
Old May 16, 2018, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phltraveler
Just make sure you read the thread on the MR forums here on FT that I linked to earlier (Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required) - there are specific rules (Residence Inns are not eligible for the ten night credit, courtyards and many other properties are), good advice (contact several properties and get a bidding war), and things to watch out for (make sure the contract language includes rewarding events, and that many properties are unaware of the program, all they need to know is that they need to post the meeting in Marriott's Group Posting tool and you'll get the 10 night credit).

If you do it right, you could potentially rack up 310 nights (31 meetings) for less than it would cost you to stay 56 days this year. If the meetings cost $100 and the rooms cost $100 each, you could buy 310 nights for $3100 to get to Plat Premier, whereas 56 nights @ $100 a night would cost $5600 to get Plat under SPG Plat legacy terms in 2018.

The other thing I would warn you is that there are strong rumors that Rewarding Events will be changed effective August 1st, so if you're going to chase the meetings strategy as a way to get Plat/Plat Premier, I would do that before Aug 1st.

Also, multiple days of multiple meetings don't count as separate meetings (from what I've read). You either want to switch up the properties from day to day, or have at least one day between each meeting so they are not considered having the same meeting over multiple days.

Again though - ask away in that thread. There are people who have actually used Rewarding Events to pad their status and get cheap meetings there. I was able to get to old MR LTP/new MR LTPP with zero meetings, but I researched the possibility when it looked like I was going to fall short.

EDIT: You mentioned a multiple room booking/meeting strategy. You can do either before August 1st (get 10 elite nights credit per Marriott meeting booked, or multiple room credit up to 3 rooms at SPG properties), but you can't do both at the same property (Marriott properties will only credit 1 elite night per room even if you have three rooms simultaneously, and SPG Pro for meetings does not reward 10 nights per meeting). So just an FYI, do not book at a Marriott brand (non-SPG) expecting to get elite night credit for multiple rooms at the same time.
Thanks again Phltraveler. The more I study this info, and 'that which has not yet been clarified', I'm leaning toward your simpler number 1.scenario. It's definitely been established (for now) 500 nights by Dec 2018 gets me lifetime plat. Also, its the logistics of adding meetings to the mix that's clipping my wings. I live out of country sooooo that's a complication as there are limited options for hotel meeting rooms near my abode (especially with these pivotal facts you just added). I am checking one more local (phoenix in July) but if that doesn't work out, its KISS for me. Keep It Simple Stupid. Option 1. But I AM going for it.

Last edited by avacadohead; May 16, 2018 at 2:04 pm Reason: booboo
Old May 16, 2018, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RafKa
Personally, I think it’s crazy to “invest” $5k in this pursuit.

OP has some MR nights (we don’t know how many). S/he requalifies via stays, so let’s assume unless they also do it via multiple room credits, it equates to ~33 nights per year.

By requalifying via stays in 2018, OP would have around 485 MR/SPG combined nights and they would be Plat through Feb 2020.

By end of 2019 OP would have 518 LT nights and enjoyed Plat benefits. Let’s say OP squeezes another 7 nights by end of Feb 2020.

This leaves us with 75 nights to reach 600 nights where OP would NOT have status in 2020 and 2021. If s/he were to spread the $5k allocated for LT status over the remaining 75 nights to get “platinum” amenities they would be missing (club level rooms, a suite here and there, breakfast) I think it would make a lot more sense than sinking that much money into useless rooms/meetings in one go. That’s an average of $65 extra to be spent per night. If OP’s stay patterns include cheaper properties where Plat benefits are reduced (only breakfast at Aloft, a quick stay at an airport hotel) then more funds could be allocated towards amenities where it really matters.

Of course YMMV and if OP stays for 30 nights a year at St Regis properties and is looking at suite upgrades, then what I wrote above makes no sense.
Hi RafKA! Thanks for taking the time to give your valued input. My reasoning is that every year it gets tougher for me to make my 25 stays. And now, this option will disappear and turn into an even harder to reach 50 nights qualification. I'm also gambling that the qualifications and/or the OPTION of 'lifetime' will still be there three years from now. And what if the future holds 'spend' thresh-holds instead of simply 'nights' for status recognition? I DO get my value from plat status and would miss it greatly. So, I'm taking the plunge. But I will make a party of it with multiple rooms.
Old May 16, 2018, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Booking 3x SPG rooms/night is plain crazy given the much easier, cheaper, and quicker MR $100 meeting room for 10 night plan
Thanks for your input UA-NYC. I have a logistics problem with room bookings as I live out of the country and have limited options. Also, it would become more complicated by adding another 100 nights to the qualification scenario.
Old May 16, 2018, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by yyznomad
OP - if you decide to do a 56-night "epic" MR, please do blog it*.

*unless you plan to just check-in and sleep
I will blog with endless blurry pictures, silent videos, and four page hotel reviews. OR, I'll spare you and just let you know if I actually make it. Without breaking the bank.
Old May 16, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by avacadohead
Thanks for your input UA-NYC. I have a logistics problem with room bookings as I live out of the country and have limited options. Also, it would become more complicated by adding another 100 nights to the qualification scenario.
You could honestly probably book a few trips to some major metropolitan areas in the US and do 10 meetings for much cheaper than that many mattress run nights at SPG. Unless you can get cheap rates and earn 2,000 BRG points, I just can't see it making any sense, unless there is literally nowhere by where you live or you can't fit some meetings into US travel. If you have to stick with SPG mattress runs, remember that you can earn 6,000 BRG points if you find a BRG for 3 rooms for 1 night. You won't get 3 platinum amenities, but the few times I've needed to mattress run to hit 75 nights, that's what I looked for and it definitely takes some of the sting out the out of pocket costs and it cuts down on the hassle of checking in extra times.

I also just started looking into booking some meetings to push myself above 750, and it was significantly easier than I was imagining so I wouldn't give up on it without at least exploring all your options. The online form was a little weird, so I just called the cheapest properties around me and found several that were willing to negotiate. Clearly not every MR member did this, but it really is shocking how easy/cheap it is to earn MR Platinum status through this method.
Old May 20, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold,Amex Centurion,Marriott LT Plat Prem Elite +AMBASS,Hilton Diamond,Priority Club Plat,VS Gold
Meeting....

Hello all,

Just reading about the meeting credit which is something I was never aware of. I am current at 12 years platinum and 689 nights so this is of huge interest to me. Is this for SPG hotels and if so how are they booked? Do you automatically get your ten elite nights after the meeting is held?

thanks all for any assistance / guidance

Stephen
Old May 20, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, IHGPlat, RadGold, Marriott Plat, BW Diamond
[QUOTE=IrishStephen;29775224]Hello all,

Just reading about the meeting credit which is something I was never aware of. I am current at 12 years platinum and 689 nights so this is of huge interest to me. Is this for SPG hotels and if so how are they booked? Do you automatically get your ten elite nights after the meeting is held?

thanks all for any assistance / guidance

Stephen

The meeting credits they are talking about are for Marriott. Go back a bit in this thread to read details. Since we’re now learning that we CAN combine Starwood & Marriott nights to reach the 750 night threshold, this may help some - who have at least 10 years platinum - to make it to LTPP this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.