Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2009, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver

I was surprised to see MArriott Gold lsited in my account this morning. I have been a silver for many years. I have about 35 nights in the last 12 months and anther 7 scheduled for next week. I also have another 20 nights combination award/paid nights booked for August and September. I was hoping to reach gold before my August trip to Europe so this will help.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 9:33 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
You wouldn't happen to have the Marriott Premier Visa CC would you? Given you have 35 nights, the 15 nights that offers, would put you right at the 50 nights needed.

But in any case, congratulations. Hopefully, you will be able to make use of the Gold benefits.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I have the regular Marriott Visa and counted those 10 nights toward my 35 nights.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 11:22 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Thanks for posting this; I was Silver too (I have the regular Platinum Visa). I logged on this morning after reading this thread and I am showing as Gold as well. I have 6 nights for 2009 plus the 10 for the Visa and about three more reservations booked. If it means anything, my $30 annual fee just posted at the begining of the month.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 12:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Errr, I have 23 nights so far, plus a 10 night Visa credit which won't hit until September and 2 more weeks booked plus about 6 weeks I need to book after that. No Gold for me.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 6:03 pm

I did notice this promotion on my MarriottRewards page:

You Can Be Such an Elitist
Stay 12 Nights at Marriott and Renew Your Marriott Rewards Elite Gold Status

Only the best will do for you. That's why we're giving you one of our very best offers: A Taste of Gold. Enjoy Marriott Rewards Elite Gold membership through July 31, 2009. And when you stay 12 nights or more at any Marriott between May 1 and July 31, 2009, you'll be upgraded to Elite Gold through February 2011. It's that easy to sample, and then earn, the Elite Gold rewards that you can enjoy at Marriott.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 8:14 pm
formerly jasperjugan

Programs: DL SkyMiles Gold Medallion, Marriott Rewards Gold Elite, A|Club Gold, PR Mabuhay Miles Base Member
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I did notice this promotion on my MarriottRewards page:
is there a link you can share?
Old Apr 9, 2009, 12:05 am
Original Poster

I just checked and the promotion was on my page.

Stay 12 Nights at Marriott and Renew Your Marriott Rewards Elite Gold Status

Only the best will do for you. That's why we're giving you one of our very best offers: A Taste of Gold. Enjoy Marriott Rewards Elite Gold membership through July 31, 2009. And when you stay 12 nights or more at any Marriott between May 1 and July 31, 2009, you'll be upgraded to Elite Gold through February 2011. It's that easy to sample, and then earn, the Elite Gold rewards that you can enjoy at Marriott.

So, does that mean I am only gold until July 31 unless I stay the 12 nights between May1 and July 31. After my 7 night trip next week will only need about 7 more nights anyway to reach gold status.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by jasperjugan
is there a link you can share?
Sorry; it appears to be targeted.

Terms and Conditions:

The details of this offer are not transferable. All Marriott Rewards program terms and conditions apply.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA GLD, MR GLD, SPG GLD
i got this too! would be nice to keep gold for two years-- a really nice promotion for since I never make it past 30 nights/year.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:08 am

Should I or Shouldn't I?

My account was upgraded to Gold today (quite a shock). In order to keep the Gold status for two years it appears that I need 12 nights by the end of July. I am scheduled to stay 10 nights in June (first three nights are Marriott Rewards) at the Ihalini Hotel on Oahu.

My question is do you think it is cost effective to book two additional nights at another location just to keep the Gold status? I can't change or extend the above Oahu trip because I got a great first class flight (miles).

Also do the above first three Marriott Rewards nights count toward the 12?

I am retired and do plan on traveling.

Thanks.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by cptlapcat
I am scheduled to stay 10 nights in June (first three nights are Marriott Rewards) at the Ihalini Hotel on Oahu.

Rewards nights (i.e., from points, not paid) normally do not count towards promotions.

In answer to your other question, if you can get Gold for two years by staying 12 nights, and plan to do traveling (particularly on your own dime), I'd say Gold is definitely worth it. You get upgrades to the Concierge Lounge (or Club Lounge) in most full service properties, and that means free breakfast and usually heavy finger food or buffet for evening meal as well.

Old Apr 12, 2009, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Counsellor
Rewards nights (i.e., from points, not paid) normally do not count towards promotions.

In answer to your other question, if you can get Gold for two years by staying 12 nights, and plan to do traveling (particularly on your own dime), I'd say Gold is definitely worth it. You get upgrades to the Concierge Lounge (or Club Lounge) in most full service properties, and that means free breakfast and usually heavy finger food or buffet for evening meal as well.

Old Apr 12, 2009, 2:31 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by cptlapcat
My account was upgraded to Gold today (quite a shock). In order to keep the Gold status for two years it appears that I need 12 nights by the end of July. I am scheduled to stay 10 nights in June (first three nights are Marriott Rewards) at the Ihalini Hotel on Oahu.

My question is do you think it is cost effective to book two additional nights at another location just to keep the Gold status? I can't change or extend the above Oahu trip because I got a great first class flight (miles).

Thanks.
First of all, welcome to FT and to the Marriott forum. As you can already tell, it is a great place to get information!

With regards to your questions - you actually will need 5 more nights since your 1st 3 won't count. However, I still agree that this is a great promo and you should make the effort to hit those extra stays.

There are some phenomenal weekend rates out there - here in the east, many under $75! you can also check out promo's like the one listed on the home page now - stay a night (or 2) and get an Amazon gift card.

When we are a night or two short, we often pick up a couple stays by using an airport hotel the night before an AM flight - insures we are less rushed, and we get the nite's credit we need.

Have a great trip, and enjoy Hawaii!
Old Apr 12, 2009, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Gold: Hilton Gold
Man, I just cant catch a break.

I am destined to have to do it the old fashioned way.....the more posts I see like this, the more I want it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.