Search

Marriott lowering brand standard already

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2017, 2:26 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'
Original Poster

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Marriott lowering brand standard already

At the Sheraton sopot complained about no hot appetizers + even the cold options were no good. I was told Marriott told them to lower down to the brand standard (they were above it before or so he said).Could it be that Marriott is already cutting cost... on the plus side properties below the brand standard might be force to make positive changes.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
Could it be that Marriott is already cutting cost...
Unless this hotel is owned and/or operated by Marriott (highly unlikely since it's a Starwood hotel), skimping on hor d'oeuvres does nothing to enrich Marriott Corporate. Those food costs are borne by the hotel.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Sounds like the hotel's looking for a scapegoat.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I don't think Marriott could lower the Sheraton "brand standard" if they tried.

And kidding aside, this makes no sense at all. If the lounge offerings have been cut, blame the property owner.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:08 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'
Original Poster

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
It could make sense, if there was another Marriott nearby no?
remymartin likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Food offered in lounges is 100% at the discretion of hotel management.

Any explanation to the contrary is an attempt to deflect blame elsewhere. Marriott corporate has exactly ZERO incentive to actively debase the value of a brand it just purchased. And the owner of the Sheraton would go ballistic if he/she was ordered to make their hotel worse, so that the wealthier guests move over to the Marriott.
clarkef likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
It could make sense, if there was another Marriott nearby no?
no not really. If it was owned by the same group then maybe but to the extent that they are trying collude would only work if there was a third much worse option that travelers would never consider. . Most all of these hotels have different owners and ultimately each one wants to maximize revenues by achieving the highest occupancy while sure trying to keep costs low. So if I were that Sheraton manager, yah blame Marriott so you think it's their fault and presumably you're even less likely to stay at the Courtyard...I can notice major differences under the same flags with different owners (some are really hands on) to the extent that if I have a really good or really bad stay I may try and look up the ownership group and see what other properties they have to either target or avoid. This is sometimes really easy and other times a real pita.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:57 am

If there was a brand standard for lounge food, I'm pretty sure Marriott would be significantly higher than Sheraton.
Kacee likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
OP: You were the recipient of what is known as 'deflection' (that's the most polite way of expressing it). You can keep looking for rationales but you won't find one beyond that.
466SHH likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yurtripper
OP: You were the recipient of what is known as 'deflection' (that's the most polite way of expressing it). You can keep looking for rationales but you won't find one beyond that.
+1. ^ There is no such thing as brand standard for lounge food. Just look at huge variance between current lounge offerings between Sheraton Hotels. That's just within one brand. A true brand standard for lounge food will need to regulate size of shrimps they serve.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 12:40 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TerryK
+1. ^ There is no such thing as brand standard for lounge food. Just look at huge variance between current lounge offerings between Sheraton Hotels. That's just within one brand. A true brand standard for lounge food will need to regulate size of shrimps they serve.
While I am not disagreeing with most of what has been posted in this thread, I do want to point out that a few years back (around 2009 actually), Marriott did send out a letter to their hotels telling them to "not exceed" the published standards. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11062254-post41.html) IOW, if a hotel offered full breakfast instead of just the lounge breakfast, they were told to cease and desist. Needless to say, that caused quite a bit of "discussion" in the Marriott forum.

So don't think Marriott is above trying to slap horrible "rogue" hotels that exceed standards and do more for elites than they are supposed to be doing.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 5:12 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Is it just me or has there been a proliferation of crazy threads lately?
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: United GS/MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
I heard they are going to reduce the shower water pressure as well
Old Nov 18, 2017, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by supergabe
I heard they are going to reduce the shower water pressure as well
ROFL!
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:46 am

I have stayed at the Sheraton Sopot a number of times and always found the lounge to be excellent. Breakfast was also available to Platinum Members in the main restaurant. I do know that there has been a new GM at this hotel after the long standing GM moved to Amman. This could be down to new policies within the hotel. A new Marriott has just opened in the same town but I would have thought that this would have made the hotel try harder to keep the guests happy. It could also come down to the fact that it is now out of season for Sopot as most of the holiday activity ends in September, so this could simply be an attempt to reduce waste.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.