Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Accidentally booked a room on my iPhone X at a rate with no cancellation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold

I was looking at prices for a hotel in SF on the SPG app of the iPhone X. I’m still getting used to the phone and the fact that its home button is on the screen, but in trying to swipe to go back to the home screen, I accidentally hit Reserve. I canceled the reservation literally within 15 seconds of realizing what I did, and then i read the cancellation policy, which stated that the time for canceling without penalty has passed and any cancellation is subject to 100% forfeiture. I checked my cc statement but since it just happened 5 minutes ago I don’t see anything on there yet. If I do get charged is there anything I can do or say to get the charge removed? The total for the room that I’m not gonna use is $400+ so I’d definitely like to get it back. I’m an SPG plat if that makes a difference. Any help would be great thanks!
Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
The hotel processes the payment manually some time after they receive your reservation request details. It's not done by SPG online.

Email them immediately, apologise and explain your mistake. If you're still anxious then phone them and speak to the reservation department.

I once needed to cancel a Four Points reservation a few minutes after I'd submitted it and the hotel cancelled it without taking payment when I emailed them a few minutes later.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:59 pm
BCH

I've done that twice. First time, I cancelled it online within 30 mins and was not charged. The second time, it took me a few hours to realize, so I called and they generously agreed to cancel the reservation. Try it - can't hurt.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by chenalex
Any help would be great thanks!
I would suggest the first thing to do is call SPG.

Not start a what to do thread.

But that's just me, and apparently a few others as well.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by BCH
I've done that twice.
Inadvertently or with a new phone accidentally?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:23 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Some of those advance purchase rates don't charge until after you've left the property. It depends on the hotel. . . I would call & email and beg forgiveness.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Call the hotel. As someone else said, they manually process the payment at some point, not even necessarily the same day. It isn't instant. I booked a room once and had forgotten to put my new SPG card in my profile. Still had my Hilton Amex in there. I called the hotel within an hour and they put me through to their billing dept. She hadn't processed the payment yet and was happy to just cancel it for me so I could rebook it on the app.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:32 pm
BCH

Originally Posted by mhdena
Inadvertently. Before the iPhone X
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by mhdena
Not just any old new phone. An iPhone X. The detail is important. Despite the numerous steps and confirmations you have to go through on the SPG app on every phone to actually - you know - make a reservation, in this case we're talking about an iPhone X. Just available last Friday. To the few. For $999 plus sales tax. It's got face recognition you know.

It's not good enough to say: "I just made an accidental nonrefundable reservation - how can I cancel it?" which is all the question boils down to.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:56 pm

Is it done?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:00 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Earlier this year I made a booking and cancelled it within 5 mins and later my credit card still got charged and they initially refused to refund and kept sending me the booking conditions until I left messages on their Facebook page. This was a Sheraton in Eastern Europe.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:26 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ftrichard
It's not good enough to say: "I just made an accidental nonrefundable reservation - how can I cancel it?" which is all the question boils down to.
Reading between the lines, I think what you are really saying here is "I was getting along fine until somebody hit me with the stupid stick and I spent over $1,000 on a phone. Then the problems with everything else started."
Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:53 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
I miss the #humblebrag
atxtraveler likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I accidentally spilled coffee in my room on my way out to take my new Ferrari 488 to work. Will I be charged for damages?

I was also busy checking the time on my new Rolex Oyster Chronograph and forgot to stop at the front desk. Will they mail me a copy of my bill?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
OP humblebrag was good... these responses are even better when viewed on my Apple Retina(tm) Display monitor in full 4k.
jbeans likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.