Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Accidentally booked a room on my iPhone X at a rate with no cancellation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Accidentally booked a room on my iPhone X at a rate with no cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Reminds me of the time my supermodel girlfriend had just gotten out of the bath and slipped on our marble floors at our estate on Lake Como. Everything would have been fine had she not bumped into my other supermodel girlfriend causing her to accidentally book a non-refundable Space-X reservation for me.

In all seriousness, I’d call SPG and/or the hotel directly ASAP to try to resolve, regardless of booking mechanism.

Last edited by Sam P. Goodman; Nov 8, 2017 at 9:08 am
Old Nov 8, 2017, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by ftrichard
It's not good enough to say: "I just made an accidental nonrefundable reservation - how can I cancel it?" which is all the question boils down to.
Did you miss this part of the OP:

Originally Posted by chenalex
I’m still getting used to the phone and the fact that its home button is on the screen, but in trying to swipe to go back to the home screen, I accidentally hit Reserve.
Assuming the functionality of this new version of the iPhone is indeed different from the previous versions, I'd say the mention of the phone is a pertinent fact. Disparaging someone for including a pertinent fact is not helpful here.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 3:53 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Not necessarily due to the iPhone X, but I have considerable empathy for the OP here. Doing a booking on the latest iteration of the SPG iPhone app, you look at the rate on a screen headed “REVIEW & SUBMIT” and at the bottom there’s a button labelled “SUBMIT”.

IMHO it is not at all clear that “SUBMIT” means “COMMIT TO A NON REFUNDABLE BOOKING NOW”. What’s wrong with labelling the button “BOOK”?
Attached Images  
controller1 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Did you miss this part of the OP:

Assuming the functionality of this new version of the iPhone is indeed different from the previous versions, I'd say the mention of the phone is a pertinent fact. Disparaging someone for including a pertinent fact is not helpful here.
I don't think the OP is a snowflake. We were all just having some light fun.

And the fact the OP is unfamiliar with their new iPhone X is not relevant to whether the hotel will refund/not charge for this mistaken reservation and how the OP should go about it (ie, phoning or emailing them). I'm sure they are not interested in the narrative about how the errant reservation was made and on which device. The only relevant information is that a reservation was made by mistake and the OP wants it cancelled.

I was saying as much to my celebrity personal trainer on my Vertu Signature Touch as I got into my Bentley yesterday morning on my way to lunch with Quentin Tarantino at Maso in New York.
atxtraveler likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
To the actual question - call SPG and/or the property right away. I've never found them to be overly unfair when dealing with simple errors, which would be the case here. But you need to do it relatively quickly.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:39 pm

I am glad the OP specifically mentioned the iPhone X.

I was in an Apple Store just over the past weekend to try out the new phone, and getting to the home screen without pressing the physical home button (as on previous iPhones) is indeed different and takes getting used to. I was thinking EXACTLY that swiping up from the bottom of the screen all the time might cause me to inadvertently click to a different webpage if browsing, or to tap on an app at the bottom of the screen instead, etc. It did not cross my mind at that time that some apps' "Confirm" button are located at the bottom of the screen, so the OP's unfortunate incident is a good reminder to me to be careful if using the new iPhone. Thank you, OP.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:40 pm

Give the OP the rest. Apparently the new iPhone does not have the home button anymore and going home requires some kind of manipulation with the bottom of the screen. Guess what else is at the bottom of the screen -- the submit button.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:55 pm
kkl

This happened to me when spg updated their app few months ago.

Booked STR Maldives, non refundable rate, over 15K usd booking.

Called plat line straight away and they said they will contact the property to cancel booking.

Being impatient I called str maldives direct and spoke to reservations. They cancelled my booking no problems.
RogerD408 and atxtraveler like this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Not necessarily due to the iPhone X, but I have considerable empathy for the OP here. Doing a booking on the latest iteration of the SPG iPhone app, you look at the rate on a screen headed “REVIEW & SUBMIT” and at the bottom there’s a button labelled “SUBMIT”.

IMHO it is not at all clear that “SUBMIT” means “COMMIT TO A NON REFUNDABLE BOOKING NOW”. What’s wrong with labelling the button “BOOK”?
If you've selected a non-refundable rate, what else could "SUBMIT" mean? Is it subject to a different interpretation?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
If you've selected a non-refundable rate, what else could "SUBMIT" mean? Is it subject to a different interpretation?
Yes. The word 'SUBMIT' is conventionally used in IT to execute non-binding transactions, such as triggering a search.

The same transaction on the SPG iPad app says "CONFIRM", and online it says "COMPLETE RESERVATION", which are standard, unambiguous terms for the final commitment of a booking transaction.

Anyone who used to these conventions is likely to interpret "SUBMIT" as meaning "go to another screen before finally committing to the reservation".

Why is the terminology in the SPG iPhone app so different from the SPG iPad app ?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
YWhy is the terminology in the SPG iPhone app so different from the SPG iPad app ?
That, I cannot answer; and I certainly see your point.

But with regard to "submit" in an IT sense, it really means send whatever you've entered/selected to the "computer" for processing. I've never heard in IT circles that it is limited to "non-binding transactions."
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ftrichard
The hotel processes the payment manually some time after they receive your reservation request details. It's not done by SPG online.

Email them immediately, apologise and explain your mistake. If you're still anxious then phone them and speak to the reservation department.

I once needed to cancel a Four Points reservation a few minutes after I'd submitted it and the hotel cancelled it without taking payment when I emailed them a few minutes later.
This kind of thing has worked for me too.

Hotels can be very good about that if they want to be.

I've even had Hotwire (on "opaque"/"hot deal" bookings) allow me to cancel after taking payment when I have discovered that an app or some other error had me booking two or more rooms when I meant to only book one.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've done this exact thing before via the app. I thought I had one more page to go before committing, and specifically wanted a refundable rate.

Phoned SPG the minute it booked...they canceled it, no problems.

SUBMIT is a terrible label. It needs to be CONFIRM, making it clear that this is the final step. Especially since the app is a step shorter than many people are used to. (In and of itself, that's okay...as long as it doesn't catch people by surprise.)

In the Marriott system, you can cancel many nonrefundable rates within 24 hours of your booking, similar to the fare rules on most U.S. airline tickets. That's nice...if you make a total mistake in the app, you don't need a phone call to get it fixed.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
But with regard to "submit" in an IT sense, it really means send whatever you've entered/selected to the "computer" for processing. I've never heard in IT circles that it is limited to "non-binding transactions."
One could turn that around into : "I've never heard of any other hotel or airline booking app that uses the label 'SUBMIT' to commit to a booking".

IMHO it's bad UX, and needs fixing.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
I was unable to reproduce the error on my jitterbug. I did however have to pull over my Toyota Corolla to make sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.