Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Méridien Seoul, South Korea [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2017, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG

Moderator Note: Pre-opening discussion can be found in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ep-2017-a.html

I have booked this hotel to celebrate Le Méridien's opening at Seoul. I personally like to visit hotel on opening date, since it's one of the most important part of the hotel history. For Le Meridien Seoul, it was lifetime experience.

When I arrived hotel, front manager told me room is not ready. I was very curious and suspicious How room could not be ready on a day of opening? Associates suggested me to stay at smaller room for couple of hours, and he will give me a new key for my original room when I come back few hours later. When I arrived at my smaller room, it was not that clean. There was a dust, and stickers all over the room, but since it's an opening date, I just let it go and rest easy and waiting for my studio suite. After few hour, I went down to front manager and after few calls I got my new key.

When I arrived at the room, it was total disaster. There was no sofa yet, Phone/TV was not installed, bathroom was in a process of cleaning, floor was not clean at all. Room was still in construction. After half an hour of inspection of whole place, I made a conclusion that it was not mistake made by manager; this hotel is simply not ready at all.

Swimming pool, spa facilities, sauna, most of restaurants are still on construction. Executive lounge was about to finish its construction at 5:03pm, as they should start happy hour at 5:30pm. Most of rooms/floors are still under construction. Worker are moving construction materials everywhere. It was simply dangerous to stay at this hotel.

I decided to cancel my stay and called SPG Contact Center. When I explained situation, they asked me back, "So... you mean your room is not clean?". After 30 minutes of phone call between SPG-hotel-me, hotel gave me full refund. There was lots more guests who got refund. I was surprised that SPG has not acknowledge this situation until then.

I was not only disappointed at property, but also SPG as well. There was clearly no SPG associates at opening category 6 hotel. Would they says its because they are not managing this property? They really need to block making a new reservation through their website and application, until hotel is ready for the guests. I felt so bad for all the employees, they were about to cry. There is nothing they could other then repeating "sorry...", even if it's not their fault.

Do not stay at this hotel until December. Also category 6 is overrated for this property. Price seems to be overpriced as well.

Last edited by yosithezet; Sep 2, 2017 at 6:35 am
Old Sep 2, 2017, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

More stay notes:

The air is as dusty and new construction smell bad as Four Seasons Seoul was when they opened and they don't have LG air purifiers either. I don't think it would help very much.

Like at FS, had to check out because sinuses couldn't take it anymore.

From my limited experience, they went for the dark grey marble and aged bronze for the bathroom fixtures. It was a terrible choice because the bathroom is already dark since there are no windows. When you turn on the water and dust comes up on the tub surface - you know it's time to go.

The executive lounge was better than Grand Hyatt, Signiel but not better than Shilla or Four Seasons. Still had a strong dusty feel in there.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

a Korean blog review with many pictures from the opening days of Le Meridien Seoul.

http://blog.naver.com/hotelcation/221088596757
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bauhaus art work exhibits at Le Meridien Seoul

Think they should have put more effort into getting the rooms right then the art work.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:18 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I'm entertained by anyone who books a hotel after opening and expects a well oiled machine.

Hotels, even the very best, take months to get it together and work out the staffing and operational teething issues. Heck, the Peninsula Paris took months before they got their crap together, too.

Give it time. This is normal.

Also, just like I question TripAdvisor reviews from people with just a few other reviews, I similarly question comments from FTers with only a few posts. It's harder to gauge the quality and perspective of the person posting, after all.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not a well oiled machine. Just a machine in working order?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:02 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Aventine
Not a well oiled machine. Just a machine in working order?
In my experience, hotels and restaurants usually suck after just opening--so I never go until at least 6 months, and preferably a year after opening. (I'd say the same can be true for a new model automobile, as well; we almost always wait for the 2nd year of to avoid the inevitable misses and fails.)

This Sunday evening will be a rarity for us as we go to the re-opening (by about 9 days) of the relocated Marche Moderne here in Orange County. But it was one of our favorite restaurants before the move, and we trust the chef. But I know it's a risk.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhrubin
In my experience, hotels and restaurants usually suck after just opening--so I never go until at least 6 months, and preferably a year after opening. (I'd say the same can be true for a new model automobile, as well; we almost always wait for the 2nd year of to avoid the inevitable misses and fails.)

This Sunday evening will be a rarity for us as we go to the re-opening (by about 9 days) of the relocated Marche Moderne here in Orange County. But it was one of our favorite restaurants before the move, and we trust the chef. But I know it's a risk.

Couldn't resist as there aren't a lot of top class SPG choices in Korea!

Once there's some continuity... should be fine. Bon appetite
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 1:30 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Moderator note

Some recent posts have been removed from view, for moderator review.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Here now, seems very empty and still kinks to work out. They are not aware of many SPG Plat benefits, food in lounge was cold, and the staff seem to get in the way not help. Rooms are Ok , agree whowever decided to put the desk under the TV needs shooting !!

I think next trip will be back to the D cube, the staff there are just more friendly and natural.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
Here now, seems very empty and still kinks to work out. They are not aware of many SPG Plat benefits, food in lounge was cold, and the staff seem to get in the way not help. Rooms are Ok , agree whowever decided to put the desk under the TV needs shooting !!

I think next trip will be back to the D cube, the staff there are just more friendly and natural.
What's sad is that Four Points staff are better than Le Meredien's. This hotel charges the highest SPG rates in the city but has some of the worst service among luxury hotels.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 1:25 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by Aventine
What's sad is that Four Points staff are better than Le Meredien's. This hotel charges the highest SPG rates in the city but has some of the worst service among luxury hotels.
Its a shame really, they are trying hard but its not natural and ends up just being annoying, quite clear its a management issue
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Any recent stay report as platinum?

between this hotel and the westin, which ones is the better choice for 1st timer?

thanks in advance.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: IC Dia RA / Marriott LT Plat / WOH Globalist / Hilton Diamond / OZ Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident

between this hotel and the westin, which ones is the better choice for 1st timer?

thanks in advance.

I personally prefer the Le Meridien than the Westin Chosun. The club lounge food offerings are great here.
Nice whiskey, premium fruit like strawberry and more polite service than Chosun. (Korean strawberry is soooo sweet naturally.)
You can choose 500 points or full buffet breakfast as your platinum amenity. (I personally prefer club lounge breakfast just FYI)
But since both hotels are nice, you need to consider location. If you prefer Myeongdong Area, go Westin. For Gangnam, Le Meridien is yours.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident

thanks in advance.
A lot more walkable things to do and see being in Central Seoul and the Westin. Bongeunsa just has a Buddhist temple, convention center and COEX mall.
3rdworldresident likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.