Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Not told I was upgraded to Sheraton Club? / Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not told I was upgraded to Sheraton Club? / Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
You can always check your reservation details on line. if you have been upgraded it will be refreshed to detail the benefits of the room. It has previously been discussed that when upgraded to a club room one should get club lounge benefits but if you have just been given a standard room on a club or preferred floor you will not.
Old May 25, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by KevisionB
While I appreciate the semblance of reason to your voice, especially how it offsets against all those platinum 'haters', nobody addressed why that 14th floor sign is there? And it still hasn't been established 100% fact whether or not I actually was upgraded on this recent stay and just not notified.
If this was an important question to you, I don't understand why you wouldn't have either:

A) Gone up to the 15th floor and tried your key in the lounge

or

B) Asked someone at the hotel if you were upgraded (some hotels do have more than one "club" floor) / had access to the club lounge

Since it clearly was important enough to you to post on here and discuss, I would think you would've wanted to at least do one of these two things to clarify the issue. I'm not trying to be mean here, I'm just a little perplexed. It happens to you again in the future, I recommend just asking so you don't have to worry about it. Plus that way, you can take appropriate corrective action if necessary.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
People who have earned the right to use the lounge need to know where the lounge is. The signage seems totally correct to me.
It's minor, but I stay in so many different hotels that a sign telling me how to find the lounge is always welcome.
Old May 25, 2017, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
It's minor, but I stay in so many different hotels that a sign telling me how to find the lounge is always welcome.
I agree. It's often posted in the elevator but not always. Also, the lounge isn't always located on the top floor or even a club floor, so it's not always obvious.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KevisionB
I just returned from a one night stay at the Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles and I encountered something like never before. I'm SPG Gold for the past few years, my last couple Sheraton stays I've been fortunate enough to get upgraded to the Club level and I've made it worth my while enjoying their hors d'oeuvres, breakfast, and soft drinks.

I checked in on Thursday May 18th at the SPG Gold/Plat counter and the attendant asked if I'd like points for my gold amenity. I said no I'd take a drink and the fella (I think his name was Rob) was kind offering me both. I thanked him, was told my room was on the 14th floor and was directed to the elevators.

In the elevator I noticed the 'Club Level' was the 15th floor and I even laughed to myself "so close...."

I had a late checkout as I had an appointment that morning. My confusion arose when I was leaving with my bags and noticed a sign at the 14th Floor elevator bank I didn't notice previously. It read: Floor 14 STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST FLOOR (CLUB ROOM 15th Floor ↑)

I was immediately infuriated! I had spent money on a light dinner as I checked in late (after 6pm), as well as a lot on a big breakfast, both of which I wouldn't have needed to if I had been advised I was upgraded to Club Room access. I still find it hard to believe this happened! I mean usually the staff are eager to tell you good news like a better view, larger room, etc.

Could someone actually have forgotten to tell me or were they intentionally not telling me because they didn't like the look of me or didn't feel like providing above and beyond service?

....still shaking my head
Save your anger which seems stemmed from having to spend money on your dinner and breakfast.

1) As many told you, being on the Preferred Guest Floor does NOT mean you have club access. The sign is there to point out the location, not to indicate guests on the Preferred floor can just go up one floor to the lounge.

2) Count yourself lucky if you regularly got lounge access as Gold, especially in US / Canada properties. This is not the norm. If lounge is so important to you then you should ask at check in whether your upgrade includes lounge access and not assume you were cheated just by seeing a direction signage in the elevator.

3) The offering in the evening are cheap snacks. Unless you can use corn chips and cheap cheese cubes as well as raw veggies for your dinner, you have NOT missed anything.
The breakfast is a Continental breakfast with NO meat but enough cereals/yogurts/pastries/bananas/lunchbox size apples to fill you up. I do not recall if there is cold hard-boiled egg. There is nothing hot other than the coffee/tea.
Again, you do not miss anything if your big breakfast had hot items and egg/meat.

I have stayed at this property and Hilton a block or 2 blocks further down the road. Hilton lounge evening offering is much better than the SPG Gateway with 2 edible hot items. You may want to consider Hilton next time because they often gave HH Gold lounge access in the past.

4) Since you want an explanation and plan to write to the GM for one about WHY the sign is there if guests on Preferred floor dont necessarily mean lounge access, please share the reply from the hotel so the community would learn about if there is any different interpretation of the signage from the hotel's view point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.