Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Not told I was upgraded to Sheraton Club? / Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, SPG Amex, Aeroplan, etc

I just returned from a one night stay at the Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles and I encountered something like never before. I'm SPG Gold for the past few years, my last couple Sheraton stays I've been fortunate enough to get upgraded to the Club level and I've made it worth my while enjoying their hors d'oeuvres, breakfast, and soft drinks.

I checked in on Thursday May 18th at the SPG Gold/Plat counter and the attendant asked if I'd like points for my gold amenity. I said no I'd take a drink and the fella (I think his name was Rob) was kind offering me both. I thanked him, was told my room was on the 14th floor and was directed to the elevators.

In the elevator I noticed the 'Club Level' was the 15th floor and I even laughed to myself "so close...."

I had a late checkout as I had an appointment that morning. My confusion arose when I was leaving with my bags and noticed a sign at the 14th Floor elevator bank I didn't notice previously. It read: Floor 14 STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST FLOOR (CLUB ROOM 15th Floor ↑)

I was immediately infuriated! I had spent money on a light dinner as I checked in late (after 6pm), as well as a lot on a big breakfast, both of which I wouldn't have needed to if I had been advised I was upgraded to Club Room access. I still find it hard to believe this happened! I mean usually the staff are eager to tell you good news like a better view, larger room, etc.

Could someone actually have forgotten to tell me or were they intentionally not telling me because they didn't like the look of me or didn't feel like providing above and beyond service?

....still shaking my head
Old May 22, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
There is a club lounge but that is not a benefit for Gold members. There are several SPG preferred floors at that hotel but just being on a preferred floor does not give you club access.

You were lucky to get access at other hotels so count yourself lucky with that. If you want consistency, then you should never get access until you are Platinum, pay extra for club access, or have it as a benefit with the SPG business card.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
There is a club lounge but that is not a benefit for Gold members. There are several SPG preferred floors at that hotel but just being on a preferred floor does not give you club access.

You were lucky to get access at other hotels so count yourself lucky with that. If you want consistency, then you should never get access until you are Platinum, pay extra for club access, or have it as a benefit with the SPG business card.
If that's true then what is the point or intention of the sign with the arrow directing SPG members to the club room (or lounge) upstairs? Just so we can peer into the window!?

I suspect you are making a hasty judgement based on your general experiences and not on the signage or protocols of the hotel in question.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL PL, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy PL
I've been put in a room on a club floor before and then when I tried to access the lounge they looked me up and said I hadn't paid the club rate (true) so while my room was on a club floor I didn't have access to the club.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by KevisionB
was told my room was on the 14th floor and was directed to the elevators.

In the elevator I noticed the 'Club Level' was the 15th floor and I even laughed to myself "so close...."

It read: Floor 14 STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST FLOOR (CLUB ROOM 15th Floor ↑)
Am I missing something? I thought "STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST FLOOR" is just a floor for any SPG members. An upgrade that really meant higher floor. The sign stated Club room 15th floor means Club rooms are on the 15th Floor. If you stay at the 15th floor, you get lounge access. However, Plats who stay at any floor (non-Club rooms) can access Club Lounge at the 15th floor. You can usually see what your room was through the App as well.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by rich0215
I've been put in a room on a club floor before and then when I tried to access the lounge they looked me up and said I hadn't paid the club rate (true) so while my room was on a club floor I didn't have access to the club.
As I recall, SPG and HHonors has a policy where Gold members who are upgraded to Club rooms (SPG) / Executive rooms (Hhonors) gets lounge access. The room type assigned determines the access. IHG on the other hand treats room types and lounges privileges as separate matters.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If that's true then what is the point or intention of the sign with the arrow directing SPG members to the club room (or lounge) upstairs? Just so we can peer into the window!?

I suspect you are making a hasty judgement based on your general experiences and not on the signage or protocols of the hotel in question.
I really doubt that the hotel gave you lounge access as a Gold. Plats are entitled to lounge access and not all Plats will get rooms on the Club floor.

Normally the SPG floors are somewhat nicer in that they're located on higher floors and the rooms might have live green plants, bathrobes, better toiletries, etc.

Personally, I've always had suites of some sort at the Sheraton Gateway LAX (as a Plat). I've never been on their club floor, but I've always had lounge access (again, as a Plat).

Golds are entitled to enhanced rooms in the category that was reserved. I suspect that the SPG floors are considered to be examples of such enhanced rooms.
Old May 23, 2017, 3:44 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The OP does have in his Sig that he has a SPG Amex. If this happens to be the Business Amex from U.S., that would explain why he has been given club lounge access.

Programs: SPG, SPG Amex,
Old May 23, 2017, 4:01 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
This whole confusion could be eliminated if you take 5 seconds at check-in and always ask if you have access to the lounge. The worst thing that might happen is they say no (and then you know.)
Old May 23, 2017, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I don't know what the fuss is about it is a terrible lounge, you haven't missed anything except observing others binge eating cheap snacks.
Old May 23, 2017, 5:07 am

Programs: Persona Non-Status, DYKWIA Club President, Formerly of Pa Kettle Fame
My thoughts exactly. The good hasn't been worth writing home about and his dinner was likely much better.

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I don't know what the fuss is about it is a terrible lounge, you haven't missed anything except observing others binge eating cheap snacks.
Old May 23, 2017, 7:46 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
You seem to be confusing SPG preferred floors with club access. The two are not related. At least this hotel had the decency to put the SPG preferred floor on a high level, I've known some properties with truly terrible SPG floors.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your insight everyone. However I honestly think if there is no relation between SPG floor and Club Lounge access then the signage beside the elevator bank is hugely unnecessary. And it actually then comes off as more of a taunt! Why advertise to the SPG members on floor 14 with specific sign, fairly large (should've snapped a pic), that a lounge they cannot access is directly above them?! Especially when they've probably already realized that with the small inscribing beside the 15th floor elevator button.

I would love some clarification from Starwood Lurker on why that sign is posted at the 14th Floor elevator bank.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:13 am

...I would love some clarification from Starwood Lurker on why that sign is posted at the 14th Floor elevator bank.
I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a clue. Your best resource would be the hotel itself.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pa Kettle
I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a clue. Your best resource would be the hotel itself.
Thanks, fair enough. I'll send the hotel GM a link to this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.