Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Hapuna Beach Resort, Waimea, Hawaii [to become a Westin Spring 2018 after renovation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hapuna Beach Resort, Waimea, Hawaii [to become a Westin Spring 2018 after renovation]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL 2+Million Miler, Delta Platinum(by choice), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Can you walk from here to the Mauna Kea?

Is the area around this hotel nice and quiet? Trying to figure out my August plans. I'm planning on renting a car, but it looks like Uber is also available.
Yes, you can walk to the Mauna Kea along the golf course and not along the cliffs. We would walk along the cliff in the morning and walk back along the golf course and some of the private homes on the return. I would stick to the golf course and homes; very pleasant and reasonably short walk. Outside of the construction noise during the day, it was super quiet the rest of the time; almost ghost town like without any major restaurant open when I was there in late January.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass American Admirals Club Lifetime,IHG Rewards Spire,HHonors Gold
Booked with points for July

Hopefully renovation will be done by July. Booked for 10,000 SPG points per night which is not bad for a 6 night stay.,
Would like to see a lounge, Makes sense to have one as the Sheraton Kona put one in a couple years ago.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by sanFF
Hopefully renovation will be done by July.
The most recent reviews on Trip Advisor seem to indicate that renovations are done, at least outside of some individual rooms. My guess is the property is awaiting Westin collateral for rooms as well as the final inspection from Marriott/Westin.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
I contacted the hotel directly, and they will be adding a lounge. I think it may, in fact, be reading for your stay in July.

I'm staying at the property in 3 weeks, so I'll unfortunately not get a chance to experience the lounge. I'm really interested to know what they'll be able to offer SPG Plats...
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by TravelGuy35
I contacted the hotel directly, and they will be adding a lounge. I think it may, in fact, be reading for your stay in July.

I'm staying at the property in 3 weeks, so I'll unfortunately not get a chance to experience the lounge. I'm really interested to know what they'll be able to offer SPG Plats...
Did they say who would have access?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:45 pm

Did they say who would have access?
No, but I'm assuming they'll mirror other properties including the Sheraton Kona. Likely that means Gold and Platinum guests would have access, in addition to anyone paying for it (generally through a rate option).

Have fun!
Old Mar 28, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat

good news. I have an upcoming stay there this september.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:31 pm
Suspended

I spoke to the hotel today.

1) It becomes a Westin on May 7.
2) The last of the room renovations will be finished by the first of July, when the official grand opening will be held.
3) There will be a club lounge with access granted to eligible SPG elites and those guests who buy access. Offerings will include a continental breakfast in the korning and happy hout at night. No date on when the lounge opens.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:57 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

No date on when the lounge opens.
Let's hope it happens before the Marriott integration, so we have at least a few months before they tell us, "sorry, resort, no benefits for you."
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: Several...
We stopped by here last week. The renovations are still underway but I didn't hear a ton of noise on the property. Most common areas are open. It will be gorgeous when complete.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Bad news.

There will be no club lounge. My contact called me and apologized. Apparently, the management has now decided the lounge will only be for guests who own a residence. The hotel must have timeshare units on-property.

Here was her explanation:

I did double check with the powers that be regarding the Club Lounge and how that will play a role at our resort when we officially switch to a Westin property. I misunderstood the scope of our offerings. I apologize for providing you with incorrect assumptions on this matter. We will not have a ClubLounge as other Westin Hotels have. Because we are a franchised Westin “Resort” (not a Westin “Hotel”) it was not a mandatory requirement during our renovation period. At this time, It will be a Lounge for the Homeowners of the Hapuna Residence – Not SPG/Marriott Members.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Bad news.

There will be no club lounge. My contact called me and apologized. Apparently, the management has now decided the lounge will only be for guests who own a residence. The hotel must have timeshare units on-property.
They are selling private residences on the property. They don't appear to be timeshares:

Hapuna Beach Residences ? Mauna Kea Living

Looks to be in the northernmost part of the property, beachfront.

Last edited by PHLGovFlyer; Apr 7, 2018 at 4:47 am
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:03 am

Bad news.

Here was her explanation:
That's too bad. Did you get a sense about what SPG elites can expect at the property? There are some mixed reviews on the value of the complimentary continental breakfast. One assumes they'll be keen to have some good order to win over the SPG crowd.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:23 am
Suspended

That's too bad. Did you get a sense about what SPG elites can expect at the property? There are some mixed reviews on the value of the complimentary continental breakfast. One assumes they'll be keen to have some good order to win over the SPG crowd.
I've already conveyed to the hotel that my small group, all of whom are SPG platinums, would switch to the Westin Moana in Honolulu if we could change our flights. While lounges are not a Westin brand standard, many Sheraton and Westin properties in Hawaii have a lounge. I also told them their excuse that they are franchisee is not a legit excuse.

I don't anticipate any benefits beyond the breakfast. I haven't heard back on whether the resort fee will be reduced or waived.

I only eat yogurt or oatmeal -- sometimes an egg-white omelette -- for breakfast so I'm pretty easy to please.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:19 pm

I've already conveyed to the hotel that my small group, all of whom are SPG platinums, would switch to the Westin Moana in Honolulu if we could change our flights. While lounges are not a Westin brand standard, many Sheraton and Westin properties in Hawaii have a lounge. I also told them their excuse that they are franchisee is not a legit excuse.

I don't anticipate any benefits beyond the breakfast. I haven't heard back on whether the resort fee will be reduced or waived.

I only eat yogurt or oatmeal -- sometimes an egg-white omelette -- for breakfast so I'm pretty easy to please.
I agree. I've stayed at four SPG properties in Hawaii (state). Whether through offering lounge access or other perks, I've received excellent elite benefits, which is meaningful and a big part of my decision to remain loyal to SPG. Quite honestly, while points are important, status is possibly equally important to many members. At properties on Maui and Oahu, I've received outstanding service, complimentary full breakfast for two, club access and generally great overall recognition (e.g. little things, like unlimited towels associated with the wrist bands).

Accordingly, I was hugely disappointed when emailing the property, asking about their SPG benefits, only to receive a reply noting the elite point bonus. That's a terrible answer because that's a simple point adjustment from SPG -- nothing to do with the property itself. In my opinion, that's just laziness from the property/management. Basically they're saying "we'll let SPG give you some extra points on your cash nights, and otherwise, you're just a regular guest."

Hopefully there is enough concern expressed via the SPG platinum concierge (telephone) that the management gets feedback that members expect real recognition, not lip service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.