Old Apr 9, 18, 1:19 pm
TravelGuy35

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
I've already conveyed to the hotel that my small group, all of whom are SPG platinums, would switch to the Westin Moana in Honolulu if we could change our flights. While lounges are not a Westin brand standard, many Sheraton and Westin properties in Hawaii have a lounge. I also told them their excuse that they are franchisee is not a legit excuse.

I don't anticipate any benefits beyond the breakfast. I haven't heard back on whether the resort fee will be reduced or waived.

I only eat yogurt or oatmeal -- sometimes an egg-white omelette -- for breakfast so I'm pretty easy to please.
I agree. I've stayed at four SPG properties in Hawaii (state). Whether through offering lounge access or other perks, I've received excellent elite benefits, which is meaningful and a big part of my decision to remain loyal to SPG. Quite honestly, while points are important, status is possibly equally important to many members. At properties on Maui and Oahu, I've received outstanding service, complimentary full breakfast for two, club access and generally great overall recognition (e.g. little things, like unlimited towels associated with the wrist bands).

Accordingly, I was hugely disappointed when emailing the property, asking about their SPG benefits, only to receive a reply noting the elite point bonus. That's a terrible answer because that's a simple point adjustment from SPG -- nothing to do with the property itself. In my opinion, that's just laziness from the property/management. Basically they're saying "we'll let SPG give you some extra points on your cash nights, and otherwise, you're just a regular guest."

Hopefully there is enough concern expressed via the SPG platinum concierge (telephone) that the management gets feedback that members expect real recognition, not lip service.