Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Deal closed Sep 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs

Status Matches
MR Platinum <--> SPG Platinum
MR Gold <--> SPG Gold
MR Silver <--> SPG Preferred Plus
MR Member <--> SPG Preferred

If your status changes (i.e. Gold->Plat) in one program, your status in the other program will be automatically upgraded within 24 hours per Marriott FAQ

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.
To link your accounts, log in to either account at:
http://www.spg.com/linkmarriott
http://members.marriott.com/

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
This is the Official Answer : "We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018."

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT change lifetime MR points.

Transferring points from SPG to MR does NOT count as activity & therefore does not extend the expiration date of points.

SPG platinum member matched to MR plat and now interested in the MR - UA Silver status match ? Check here.

Updated Terms and Conditions for the two programs can be found at
http://members.marriott.com/terms-conditions/
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Complete listing of all the hotel brands in the in the merged company :
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#ourbrands
http://www.marriott.com/Images/Brands/brands_page_2016/global_architecture_images/US_MAR_SPG_brand_architecture.png
Print Wikipost

Marriott/Starwood merger closed; FAQs; Status Match; MR & SPG accounts can be linked

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Fwiw, on the same property, a Residence Inn likely would have bigger standard rooms then a Renaissance. The finishes and toiletries in the Renaissance may be better. And as MSP mentioned, Residence Inn gets free breakfast and drinks.
.....and free dinner three or four nights per week.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:52 am

Programs: tk gold, lh ftl, ab gold
I qualified for Marriott Platinum thru status challenge, with Platinum status till the end of 2018.
However, my SPG account, which upgraded to Platinum automatically, shows status till end of February 2018, only. Shouldn't it be the same validity period in either program?...
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by igor82j
I qualified for Marriott Platinum thru status challenge, with Platinum status till the end of 2018.
However, my SPG account, which upgraded to Platinum automatically, shows status till end of February 2018, only. Shouldn't it be the same validity period in either program?...
MR & SPG are doing periodic sweeps to match accounts. The matched status runs through the current program year ( Feb ). Next year, the sweep will be done again and status will be extended again. The programs are different and they are not sync'ing all the little items. As long as you maintain Plat in one program you will have Plat status in the other. Of course that is presuming the merge of programs has not happened and they have not made any announcement to the contrary.

Hang in there and don't sweat the small stuff right now.
igor82j likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adelphos
FYI, this property was announced and planned well before the Starwood/Marriott merger was announced EDIT - to be clear, the developer and manager of this hotel (White Lodging) decided to pair the AC and Le Meridien brands together in their building when they were owned by separate companies. The merger was coincidental and makes things easier for them. So this particular property shouldn't be seen as a new strategy by Marriott (though more of these may pop up anyway).
all AC are "unconsolidated joint ventures"
so owners get some money from marriott

AC is "Limited Service" like aloft/element

odd marriott doesnt list AC as managed/franchised
(like designhotels, which has no counts anywhere)
Old Oct 2, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
all AC are "unconsolidated joint ventures"
so owners get some money from marriott

AC is "Limited Service" like aloft/element

odd marriott doesnt list AC as managed/franchised
(like designhotels, which has no counts anywhere)
From a guest perspective, AC Hotels is just another Marriott brand.

It would be more accurate to say the hotel owners pay money (franchise fees) to Marriott, not that "owners get some money from marriott."

Marriott International generally does not own or manage "select service" hotels, such as Fairfield Inn, Moxy, AC Hotels, Courtyard, SpringHill Suites, TownePlace Suites, and Residence Inn. Even many full-service Marriott properties are neither owned nor managed by Marriott International.

It's the "asset light" business model that Starwood Hotels & Resorts (not to be confused with Starwood Capital Group) was also pursuing before the merger.

From a guest perspective, it should be transparent whether a property (or entire brand) is owned by Marriott, owned by another company, leased, managed, franchised, licensed, or set up as an unconsolidated joint venture.

Last edited by Horace; Oct 2, 2017 at 3:03 pm
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"unconsolidated joint venture" = marriott equity minority stake
Attached Images  
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Next investor call is Nov 7th.

http://news.marriott.com/2017/09/mar...2017-earnings/

Cheers.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
AMEX-->SPG-->Marriott Rewards

I apologize if it is has been covered but I'll ask anyways.

Has anyone been able to transfer AMEX Rewards to SPG then transfer to Marriott Rewards and in turn transfer to United MileagePlus?

I know that it might not be the best use of points but is there some sort of restriction of points that are deemed eligible to transfer?

30,000 AMEX --> 9990 SPG

9000 SPG ---> 27,000 Marriott Rewards

25,000 Marriott Rewards ---> 10,000 MileagePlus
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles & Marriott Bonvoy
Does this mean if I apply for the Starwood Card now, it may not exist in the future and just all be one marriot Card? Is there a chance/possibility that marriot would transfer to Starwood’s partners such as AA or AS
Old Oct 3, 2017, 11:19 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Nobody here really knows. Clearly though, the Starwood SPG program won't exist in the same format in 1-2 years time and so the card won't be the same as it is now.

Maybe the card will effortlessly evolve into the new Marriott card, or maybe current cardholders will be grandfathered into a good deal, or if Marriott leaves AMEX with their official card then maybe it won't be so useful in the near future.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

while the transfer partnerships may be less likely to drop/change, the question is the rate long term
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:00 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
who's not going to stay with marriot if they merge completely?

I wonder who is not going to stay if they merge rather then keep the 2 programs separate under the same umbrella. I find SPG to be way better then Marriott and I also hate going with the biggest program. I will switch to hyatt(hopefully they offer another status match/challenge)/hilton( I got gold with amex)/IHG .
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:16 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
It seems virtually certain they will merge. I'm definitely going to give the new program a fair try and would expect to stay, but if it's terrible then obviously I will look elsewhere.

Have you tried Hyatt or Hilton before? Hyatt hotels are much less common and Hyatt regulars hate the new scheme and HHonors has always been pretty disappointing.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
I will bail if they take away my LT Plat status...

....but that would be the only reason...if I keep it....I will stay.
JackE likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've been active in both MR and SPG for what seems like forever. HH too...

The merger probably won't affect *much* of my stay activity. I'm kind of assuming that MR will be the surviving program - including "pros" like the Travel Packages and "cons" like the lack of elite recognition at "resorts", Courtyard, etc. I'll miss the various unpublished benefits and amazing upgrades from my SPG Plat years, but I wasn't regularly hitting SPG Plat in the past 3-4 years anyway.

Still waiting on the 2018 credit card situation at HH before I decide what to do there.

I like Hyatts but have no hope of finding enough of them where I travel to bother chasing status there. I run into 2-3 stays a year there and just assume I will get no benefits. (I'm a "Discoverist" or something like that - something that sounds like a real status but totally isn't.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.