Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold,Amex Centurion,Marriott LT Plat Prem Elite +AMBASS,Hilton Diamond,Priority Club Plat,VS Gold
Originally Posted by controller1
Not good news for this Friday morning.
I agree with you there. As I said many many fond memories at this place. I will be sad to see it go....
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:46 am

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Sad news. Loved the pools and general plat treatment - though the lounge had been on a downward slide for a few years.

I can only guess what hilton category it will be...
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, American Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents Circle
That is a shame. As has been said and will be said by many others, this was one of the best SPG properties, especially when it came to Platinum/preferred treatment.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Ouch. This one has been on my to do list because so many people here rave about the experience for a Plat.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Very sad new ! Fantastic hotel for family vacation, location, Plat suite upgrades, lounge!
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I just made a reservation there the other day for far in the future - Cash & Points no less - what will happen to it?

Well, they are still booking as a Starwood through February 2016 (yes, sixteen) with no mention of an end.

Last edited by Eujeanie; Aug 29, 2014 at 7:51 am
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum Elite
Bummer

What a lousy way to start a long weekend. The Diplomat is (was) my go-to South Florida hotel.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: AC-E, SPG-Plat, GP-P, HH-G
I have fond memories of this hotel as it was one of the first hotels to provide a truly great upgrade shortly after I first became an SPG plat member. I still remember first becoming a Plat member and thinking -- nothing special (most of my initial travel was in North America). Until I attended a conference at this hotel. Wow, a fantastic upgrade and a great executive lounge (especially travelling with my family). As a result, on every Florida vacation we always spend time at this hotel. I have lost my HH status as I very rarely stay at Hilton hotels. If I recall, on every subsequent occasion, I was always upgraded to an ocean view suite or a corner suite. Even on 4th of July weekends, etc...
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
I know people love this property and the lounge was very good and there is/was good elite recognition.

I would not call this property "iconic", but solid. For me the location was a major negative so I rarely stayed, but overall it will be missed by many.

On Hilton's website, I checked some dates in December, January and don't see this property listed.

Is there a link with the announcement?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: DL DM & MM, Hilton Diamond, IC Plt Amb , Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Circle
Flagship property. Very sorry to see it go. Awesome lounge, always great upgrades and the one of the two best concierge I have ever met (Santiago).

I also have a vacation already booked for this hotel in January, don't know exactly what to do now. Too much swank for me at the W.

May have to check out the Keys.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Gold,Amex Centurion,Marriott LT Plat Prem Elite +AMBASS,Hilton Diamond,Priority Club Plat,VS Gold
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I know people love this property and the lounge was very good and there is/was good elite recognition.

I would not call this property "iconic", but solid. For me the location was a major negative so I rarely stayed, but overall it will be missed by many.

On Hilton's website, I checked some dates in December, January and don't see this property listed.

Is there a link with the announcement?
I agree that it was solid, I just found the building itself to be quite iconic however that is in the eye of the beholder I guess. Nothing from Starwood it would seem as of yet but the staff were briefed yesterday and the hotel is also publicly confirming it for upcoming reservations if contacted directly. Perhaps SPG Lurker could weigh in here with any public announcement....

Last edited by IrishStephen; Aug 29, 2014 at 10:41 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I just made a reservation there the other day for far in the future - Cash & Points no less - what will happen to it?

Well, they are still booking as a Starwood through February 2016 (yes, sixteen) with no mention of an end.
As usually happens when hotels change their flags ...
Almost certainly the hotel will honor the reservation at that rate, however you will not receive any SPG benefits. If you happen to have HHonors elite, too -- you might be able to swing that, but it would probably come down to showing your HHonors card at check-in.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:20 am

I was completely surprised when I just logged in to the Diplomat's website and saw this message:

PLEASE NOTE:
The Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa, Hollywood, Florida will be leaving the Starwood system on October 27, 2014. Reservations for dates on or after October 27, 2014, will not be eligible for Starwood Preferred Guest membership benefits, award redemption or accrual.
I, too, have an upcoming reservation post October. Clarification for guests with upcoming reservations is needed!

Last edited by mke9499; Aug 29, 2014 at 11:28 am
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by mke9499
I was completely surprised when I just logged in to the Duplomat's website and saw this message

I, too, have an upcoming reservation post October. Clarification for guests with upcoming reservations is needed!
If you want starpoints and stay/night credit I would book a backup plan now.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Originally Posted by NWAsilvELITE
Flagship property. Very sorry to see it go. Awesome lounge, always great upgrades and the one of the two best concierge I have ever met (Santiago).

I also have a vacation already booked for this hotel in January, don't know exactly what to do now. Too much swank for me at the W.

May have to check out the Keys.
Honestly, this is a huge loss for Starwood in Miami, and they were already a weak player in the keys.

By comparison, Hilton has the Casa Marina (a fantastic property), and SPG has either the Sheraton (very poorly located, and not a very 'classy' build), and the Westin (which is OK, but certainly not in the same league as the Casa Marina).

Yeah, they do have Sunset Key and ST Regis Bal Harbor at the extreme high end -- but in the $200-400 range, they now have some huge gaps.

I haven't stayed at the Westin Diplomat in a number of years, since I now live very close by -- but I used to go to that property every year, which is what introduced me to the area in the first place. It was always a great experience, v good SPG Platinum treatment/upgrades, v good beach, Beautiful building, etc etc...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.