Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2013, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Related question since we'll be there in January after a cruise...we like the hotel so want to stay again, but is Dec/Jan beach/pool weather? I'm afraid it's going to be chilly or is that my northern background worrying?
Hit and miss. Could be very nice and warm, might be unhappily cold. I've had both over the years. Mostly warm.

Cheers,
Old Dec 2, 2013, 2:49 pm

Kids

Thanks Guys--

I know there isn't a kiddie pool but we are definitely not taking our daughter into the ocean.. also we figured the cabana was good for her two hour nap in the afternoon and we don't have to be stuck in the hotel room sitting quietly.

LittleFlyer
Old Dec 2, 2013, 5:10 pm

Are they still selling the beach and golf locations as one hotel? If so, how can I tell from my reservation if I will definitely be at beach location? It says resort view. Thanks
Old Dec 2, 2013, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
The upper pool has a zero entry very shallow end which I think is very kid friendly.
Originally Posted by Flews
It is indeed. Our two/three-year-olds loved it.
thanks for the correction, I only have gone to the lower pool and beach.^
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by adgtravel
Are they still selling the beach and golf locations as one hotel? If so, how can I tell from my reservation if I will definitely be at beach location? It says resort view. Thanks
Your reservation is at the only active location, at the beach. Resort view will probably face west, facing the front entrance and street.

The resort at the golf/tennis location is closed and not accepting reservations. I knew that the country club location shut down during slow periods, but when did it completely shut down?

The restaurant and bar are still operating; the food was usually quite good at the Links.

Compared to the beach location, the Country Club resort was very subdued. The accommodations were fairly luxurious and a good place to get away for some peace and quiet, with golf and tennis just steps away. Before it was linked to the Diplomat on the beach, it was part of the Luxury Collection.

Does anybody know what will happen to the resort accommodations at the golf location?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
They also closed the Spa at the Golf location. We would drive over, have breakfast, use the steam room and the WONDERFUL tiny, little, almost private, uncrowded, "secret" swimming pool outside the spa. I'm going to miss that the most.

I believe they opened up a big new spiffy Spa at the beach location but it just won't be the same.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 6:30 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond AA Platinum
Im curious when the golf location shut down as well. As we are in the middle of high season for golf and golf travel in the state, that is very surprising.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 8:26 am

You can still play golf over at the GL, and eat, you just can't stay in the rooms. I'm sure the shuttle still runs over there.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 8:50 am

You can still play golf over at the GL, and eat, you just can't stay in the rooms. I'm sure the shuttle still runs over there.
I believe the shuttle runs every 30 minutes between the two locations, so guests at the beach resort have easy access to golf, tennis, and the Links Restaurant and Tack Room. The Tack Room and Links close at 6pm...obviously, since the hotel shut down.

There is a great link to "tour" the holes at the golf course...

http://www.diplomatresort.com/golf
Old Dec 5, 2013, 8:54 am

We're still going to make a trek over there one morning for breakfast - they had the best waffles.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 10:53 am

Well, now I'm not even sure they (Links restaurant at the GL) are open for breakfast...it's very confusing on the website. Says they don't open until 11 am, but they show a breakfast menu, and it's MUCH smaller than it used to be (I remember pulled pork benedict - mmmm, and the wonderful waffles that were much more fancifully described and created than "Belgian waffle with maple syrup" - they were malted (crinkle in your mouth), and served with a wonderful fruit compote. Sad.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 12:08 pm

Well, now I'm not even sure they (Links restaurant at the GL) are open for breakfast...it's very confusing on the website. Says they don't open until 11 am, but they show a breakfast menu, and it's MUCH smaller than it used to be (I remember pulled pork benedict - mmmm, and the wonderful waffles that were much more fancifully described and created than "Belgian waffle with maple syrup" - they were malted (crinkle in your mouth), and served with a wonderful fruit compote. Sad.
Though it serves until 6 pm, the menu only lists sandwiches and salads; the delicious entrees served last year are gone.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:39 pm

Do they still upgrade PLATS a few days out here? ...or just when you check-in??
Old Dec 25, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Stayed here recently and had an enjoyable stay.

The only thing that annoyed me was during check in. I called a few hours earlier prior to the 4 pm check in and was told that I could only check in at 4 pm which was fine by me. Arrived at 4 and was told the room won't be ready until 5, now they could've told me when I called earlier that your room won't be ready until 5 and all will be ok but there you go. We didn't get in the room until 6.

Stayed on the 29th floor on the north tower. I previously stayed on lower levels but on the south tower which is much better (more sun and better views).
Old Feb 24, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Hyatt Globalist ; National Exe; Avis Preferred; Delta Diamond
just skimmed through the 15+ pages from the last couple years. . .VERY Excited to try out this property.

I'm in WA state and usually have to fly to FLL at end of July to pick up my step-son that spends a month each summer with his birth mom. Usually just fly over for 1 night, pick him up and fly back (long haul). I prefer WA to Maui much more

Anyways THIS year we decided to turn it into a family vacation for a WEEK long stay. DH and our other son will all be flying with me to FL this year and I am definitely booking the Westin Dip after what I've read.

My previous (2) stays in Fort Lauderdale have been for all of 1 night ea time. The Sheraton airport hotel, and Westin Beach Resort. .both treated me great as Plat. .very nice upgrade to OF Junior suite at Westin Beach, however for a weeklong stay I'm looking for more

Now that I've decided on the Westin Diplomat, even right in middle of hurricane season, i'm looking forward to this trip almost as much as our trips to Maui.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.