Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:56 pm

SPG Plat been staying at the Dip for 10+ years. Work to keep our platinum status literally just for this property. Going back next week for probably close to my 50th visit. Selections on the club vary (sometimes due to the staff I wonder??) regardless a great property.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 6:49 am
Company Representative - Westin Diplomat Hollywood, FL

Hello Minneapolis,

The lounge has stareted offering a different menu. In the evenings they now offer more hot items then in the past, a good change from what we previously served. Overall the response to the change in the menu has been positive.

Originally Posted by Minneapolis
DiplomaticErick, any comment on the decline in quality of the offerings in the Club Lounge?
Old Mar 23, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Good property, but verify MAGC points

I had an excellent stay at the Westin Diplomat last month, but one caution: make sure your Make a Green Choice points are accurately and immediately recorded at check out.

It's now six weeks and my three nights/1,500 MAGC points have not posted. This, even though I requested MAGC at check in and I handed the three MAGC cards to the staff member handling my check out (which he casually tossed into a drawer; probably a bad portent).

After my stay points posted (which took a brief call to a hotel manager ten days after I checked out), I noticed the MAGC points did not follow. I called the manager back and left a message. A few days later, I contacted my Ambassador who now repeatedly has followed up with the hotel, only first to be incorrectly told I had denied MAGC. Then he contacted the manager with whom I had spoken who confirmed that the MAGC points should have been credited and that they were on the way.

But that still hasn't led to the points posting. I recommend taking a mobile phone photo of the MAGC points cards before you check out to have as evidence. And I plan to keep following up until the MAGC points do post.

With the exception of the Westin Diplomat's recalcitrance on this one matter, it was an excellent stay: a nice waterfront view upgrade, generally good Platinum recognition and one problem I had with the room (noise from a failing refrigerator compressor) was handled well and promptly. I'd recommend the property.

Update 3/26/13: The MAGC points just showed up. So it does help to follow up with both the hotel and Starwood if the MAGC points don't post when the stay points do.

Last edited by Seattlenerd; Mar 26, 2013 at 8:37 am Reason: Added update
Old Mar 23, 2013, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Excited to hear about the new food in the lounge. The Diplomat is one of my favorite hotels anywhere...I have 4 stays coming up and really looking forward to this great property.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: US Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Had a enjoyable stay last week at the Diplomat. Was there for 4 nights. I had two minor issues: The first one issue I was the closure of the pool one night early for a private event without any notice given. Yes I understand the hotel caters to conventions, but advance notice would have been a nice gesture. The second was the 21% service charge they impose on a pool cabana. After charging $200 for the day then adding $42 for a few towels, a chaises lounge and free water I found a bit high. I understanding adding a service fee for bar, and wait service (like the 15% the add at the Splash bar). I did let them know that I did thing the 21% add on fee was outrageous and I got aN additional 5000 SPG points. The bar staff and food at Rivals are great. The Hollywood Prime Steakhouse was disappointing.
Old May 18, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta PM, Hertz PC
Solo Getaway

I'm going to the Westin Diplomat in a week and a half for a nice solo getaway, which I'm really excited about. Does anyone have any advice on good restaurants, things to avoid, etc? I went to the W Fort Lauderdale back in March and explored that area as well as some of South Beach. I didn't get a chance to explore Hollywood though. Also, are there any more recent reviews??
Old May 18, 2013, 2:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
It's a nice place - not really much to do in the area at all though. You WILL need a car.

At least with W Fort Lauderdale you can walk to the restaurants... With the Diplomat its really out of the way and nowhere near anywhere.

Still, the pool area is lovely... and if you get a nice corner suite you'll love it too.

I would be interested to hear how the lounge has improved with their new offerings!
Old May 21, 2013, 6:25 pm

Hello all,

I'm thinking about staying at the Diplomat with the family for about 10 nights. This will be our first time in Florida. We are looking for a nice beach and will drive around southern Florida to explore the area.
Will 10 nights at this resort be too long?

Thank you.
Old May 22, 2013, 2:51 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Okto
Hello all,

I'm thinking about staying at the Diplomat with the family for about 10 nights. This will be our first time in Florida. We are looking for a nice beach and will drive around southern Florida to explore the area.
Will 10 nights at this resort be too long?

Thank you.
I don't think so, I always stay for a week over there so 3 extra nights are ok. But if it was me it would highly depend on what kind of room I'm staying in, I'll be over there around late August/Early September and if I stayed in anything less that a suite then I might cancel the whole thing. (I will be applying SNA's).
Old May 22, 2013, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
It's a nice place - not really much to do in the area at all though. You WILL need a car.

At least with W Fort Lauderdale you can walk to the restaurants... With the Diplomat its really out of the way and nowhere near anywhere.

Still, the pool area is lovely... and if you get a nice corner suite you'll love it too.

I would be interested to hear how the lounge has improved with their new offerings!
We had a car and never used it. There's a free trolly to the boardwalk shops & restaurants, and we enjoyed the walk back in the evening. And that was with two 3-year-olds.

We also walked to the plazas for groceries one day; although we took a cab back with our stuff. It was $10 or something for the 5 minute ride.

To each their own I guess.

Cheers,
Old May 22, 2013, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
I don't think so, I always stay for a week over there so 3 extra nights are ok. But if it was me it would highly depend on what kind of room I'm staying in, I'll be over there around late August/Early September and if I stayed in anything less that a suite then I might cancel the whole thing. (I will be applying SNA's).
Thank you very much for your feedback. I had reserved the ocean view suite for the duration of our stay, so I'm looking forward to it.
Old May 27, 2013, 6:29 pm

So Far So Good

I'm currently at the Westin Diplomat and I must say I'm impressed. I think the property is beautiful, the staff is friendly and the accommodations are comfortable. This is one of the best SPG properties I've been to in the US and I'm happy I chose it for my solo getaway. A few notes:

1. Concierge Lounge - absolutely beautiful. Best looking lounge I've ever seen. The views are amazing. The food is ok. For breakfast there were assorted pastries, oatmeal, bagels, smoked salmon, hard boiled eggs and fruit. It was a pretty good spread. The evening food choice was a bit underwhelming - chips and salsa and potstickers. I believe there were apples as well.

2. Check-In - I mistakenly booked a very early flight (long story) and knew I might have to kill some time. I called a few days early and the operator said she'd put a note in the reservation and that I should be fine. I arrived and putzed around Miami for a bit and got to the hotel around 11. I checked in and the front desk attendant said my room would be ready soon but to hang out in the lounge or by the pool until he called. I went to the lounge, went to the pool and had drinks and killed about three hours. I then called to see if I could get a time estimate. I was told my room was being worked on and would be done soon. I was told I would get a call in about 10 minutes. After an hour and a half I called back and was told that the room was not ready. I pressed for another time estimate and she called housekeeping; when she came back on the line she said my room was in fact ready but I would have to confirm with the front desk. I stood in line for awhile and finally got me keys. Whew! All in all I'm not mad about the wait because I knew check in was not until four and the hotel was very busy. I have no one to blame but myself. I do wish I had gotten more accurate time estimate, however, as I would have gotten back in my car and explored some more.

3. Platinum Recognition - best recognition I've seen from any Starwood hotel. They recognized that my 50th stay (requalifying me as Platinum) was happening at the hotel. The front desk also found out I was traveling for some alone time. He said he would send champagne up for the milestone. No champagne has actually arrived but the recognition was nice!

4. Room - I got a club floor suite and its a really comfortable and spacious room with a partial view of the intercostal and the ocean. Next time I'll try to book a corner suite or king room because I love nothing more than a balcony where I can listen to the ocean.

All in all a great trip so far!
Old May 27, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I had to cancel a Club Level stay recently so I'm very interested in your saying that there were "chips and salsa, potstickers and apples" - this is very different from the picture upstream of the guy who piled his plate with crab cakes!
Old May 27, 2013, 7:04 pm

I was a little surprised as well. I assume they switch up the food every night so maybe this was an off night? To be fair, the potstickers do qualify as a hot item so it wasn't terrible. I was just expecting more variety- maybe cheese and more fruit options. I'll report back on tomorrow's selection.
Old May 27, 2013, 10:13 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Nikki30M
I was a little surprised as well. I assume they switch up the food every night so maybe this was an off night? To be fair, the potstickers do qualify as a hot item so it wasn't terrible. I was just expecting more variety- maybe cheese and more fruit options. I'll report back on tomorrow's selection.
I was planning to use a couple of SNA's for the Club Floor Suite, but it seems it's not that great, what's the difference between that and the corner? I stayed at the corner once and loved although chances being at a low floor is higher compared to the club floor suite where you ae guaranteed a high floor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.