FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014
Old May 27, 2013, 6:29 pm
Nikki30M

Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta PM, Hertz PC
So Far So Good

I'm currently at the Westin Diplomat and I must say I'm impressed. I think the property is beautiful, the staff is friendly and the accommodations are comfortable. This is one of the best SPG properties I've been to in the US and I'm happy I chose it for my solo getaway. A few notes:

1. Concierge Lounge - absolutely beautiful. Best looking lounge I've ever seen. The views are amazing. The food is ok. For breakfast there were assorted pastries, oatmeal, bagels, smoked salmon, hard boiled eggs and fruit. It was a pretty good spread. The evening food choice was a bit underwhelming - chips and salsa and potstickers. I believe there were apples as well.

2. Check-In - I mistakenly booked a very early flight (long story) and knew I might have to kill some time. I called a few days early and the operator said she'd put a note in the reservation and that I should be fine. I arrived and putzed around Miami for a bit and got to the hotel around 11. I checked in and the front desk attendant said my room would be ready soon but to hang out in the lounge or by the pool until he called. I went to the lounge, went to the pool and had drinks and killed about three hours. I then called to see if I could get a time estimate. I was told my room was being worked on and would be done soon. I was told I would get a call in about 10 minutes. After an hour and a half I called back and was told that the room was not ready. I pressed for another time estimate and she called housekeeping; when she came back on the line she said my room was in fact ready but I would have to confirm with the front desk. I stood in line for awhile and finally got me keys. Whew! All in all I'm not mad about the wait because I knew check in was not until four and the hotel was very busy. I have no one to blame but myself. I do wish I had gotten more accurate time estimate, however, as I would have gotten back in my car and explored some more.

3. Platinum Recognition - best recognition I've seen from any Starwood hotel. They recognized that my 50th stay (requalifying me as Platinum) was happening at the hotel. The front desk also found out I was traveling for some alone time. He said he would send champagne up for the milestone. No champagne has actually arrived but the recognition was nice!

4. Room - I got a club floor suite and its a really comfortable and spacious room with a partial view of the intercostal and the ocean. Next time I'll try to book a corner suite or king room because I love nothing more than a balcony where I can listen to the ocean.

All in all a great trip so far!