Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by remymartin
What was wrong with the 7th floor? Which floor did you get on the 3rd day?
The room was fine, the view was not. The building next to it (which is the Diplomat's) ruined my privacy. The other one I got was on the 23rd.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 4:40 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Angry

Originally Posted by tvervenne
breakfast at the club is ok but not wow as expected (salmon only on one day, no cheese, no normal bread, no eggs)
Seems I'm not the only one who has noticed that the property is now resting on its laurels and cutting corners... and becoming a bit cheap with its lounge offerings.

What used to be a delicious and impressive spread of breads, meats, salmon and three varieties of melon is now a mixed bowl fruit and just ham and some boiled eggs!

I can't believe they serve pork products as the ONLY meat dish when a huge number of their clientele are Jewish and they cannot consume ham and pork for breakfast. The salmon used to be fantastic. Seems to have changed in October at some point...

Evenings are even worse with fried chicken wings and crab cakes! Again... never mind the shellfish angle here... what about vegeterians? Why not even a salad dip?

I'm really disappointed
Old Nov 20, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Had a nice 2 night stay about a week ago. After reading about this property's near legendary status among Plats, I was excited to try it out. Checked-in mid-afternoon and got upgraded to a non-corner suite on a very high floor. Suite was spacious and comfortable, but lacked a balcony, which was a disappointment. A couple of the windows opened, but just barely.

The club lounge is a pretty spectacular setting. The food offerings were decent--nothing amazing, but on the upper end of what I've seen domestically. There was a strange incident in the lounge one night where a man decided to make himself dinner out of the guacamole and salsa. He emptied the entire bowl of guac on his plate, topped it with salsa, and proceeded to wander around in his gym shorts eating it with a spoon like oatmeal. It was pretty gross. I was happy to see that when he went back for seconds and started to tackle the (now refilled) bowl of guac, one of the lounge staff intervened. At that point, we had seen enough and left, but it was a bit of a buzzkill.

We used the hotel as a base for touring the greater Miami area and didn't spend a ton of time lounging at the hotel. I had hoped there would be more in the immediate area of the hotel, but it seems that you either have to eat on site or drive elsewhere.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 5:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Sam, we have a CL suite with no balcony reserved for an upcoming trip. While I would prefer to have one, I really am looking forward to the added space, because last trip we had a regular room with a balcony and it was tight.

It seems to me that the Club Level lounge has outdoor seating areas? We're hoping to get our outdoor "fix" that way.

I'd also like to point out that both the trolley and water taxi stop at the hotel, so you can get to other restaurants without driving or walking. You can also take a meal or two over at the Golf Location utilizing the hotel's shuttle. We only had breakfast there last time, but since we're now at the club level we're looking forward to a lunch or dinner at the Golf Location.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 7:03 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Not wanting to tempt fate, I actually used SNA's for a stay here later this week. The options for redemption were either the Diplomat or Corner suites. Wanting to ensure a balcony, I only selected the Corner suite. At T-5, I got a note saying they couldn't process my upgrade but would keep trying; at T-2 I got a note saying that I was now confirmed in a Corner Suite. The SPG app isn't showing any suites available for the duration of my stay currently; it did show the Diplomat suite available at T-5.

I know this property has a rep for good upgrade percentages, but it feels like I made the right move in trying to lock my upgrade in advance.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Gold,Amex Centurion,Marriott LT Plat Prem Elite +AMBASS,Hilton Diamond,Priority Club Plat,VS Gold
Thumbs up All Hail The Diplomat......

I have been meaning to post in this thread for quite sometime but for one reason or another I just did not get around to it.

I have been a regular visitor to the Diplomat over the years and like most people in this thread I wanted to add my 100% support of this property and express how everyone should try this property at least once as you will more than likely always end up going back.

The staff go above and beyond whenever they can to be of assistance. To just demonstrate this I took my wheelchair bound father to the hotel from Europe this year. He was very concerned due to the differences in wheelchair support handles in the toilets in the US compared to the ones he was used to. I spoke to the hotel in 2011 and asked if there was a way to modify one of the accessible rooms. To my amazement they went out of their way and installed the required support bars. I was even sent photos of what was installed by email on several occasions and the room was made available for me to view a few weeks before his visit when I was staying in the hotel making preparations for the upcoming trip.

Platinum recognition is outstanding at this hotel and when they can give you a suite they will, have no doubt about this. Some great members of staff have moved on to bigger and better things however their replacements shine just as brightly. The Exec Lounge is a wonderful place to hang out at night for the sunset and the staff up there are outstanding. Yes I would agree with others that the food on offer is not close to what it once used to be and personally I can't understand why the hotel does not take advantage of such a great space and sell the premium wines and spirits like they do downstairs as its a revenue stream but I guess there must be a reason.

Above all this hotel is a well oiled and well maintained machine. I always enjoy going there as do my family when they are with me.

Go check the place out, definitely worth it.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 6:35 am

Programs: SPG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by IrishStephen
I spoke to the hotel in 2011 and asked if there was a way to modify one of the accessible rooms. To my amazement they went out of their way and installed the required support bars. I was even sent photos of what was installed by email on several occasions and the room was made available for me to view a few weeks before his visit when I was staying in the hotel making preparations for the upcoming trip.
Now that's what I call customer service!! Fantastic...
Old Nov 29, 2012, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
Stayed for 5 nights, was upgraded to a Corner Suite. was on the 7th floor at first and hated it, requested to change and they only could've do it was on the 3rd day which I was ok with. It's very different from above.
I'm also in a corner suite on 7, but the other end of the building from LovetoTravel, the end overlooking the convention center. We don't have concerns about privacy (we're almost level with the top of the convention center), but the views aren't what I was hoping. Perfect straight-on view of the ocean, but no view of the intercoastal and no ability to see up/down the coast. That said, the corner suite is great. Very quiet and spacious.

We asked about moving and were told that no other Corners were available, and a move on day 2 would be to a non-corner suite, which I declined.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 6:48 pm

We're just finishing an enjoyable 5 night stay at the Diplomat. As mentioned above, I had applied SNA's to the stay, specifying only a Corner Suite (not a Diplomat suite), and had them clear at T-2 days. Unfortunately when my wife checked in, the only Corner available was on the 7th floor, and based on comments above, I was worried. It turned out that our Corner was in the South tower, across from the convention center, so we didn't have the privacy concerns that those in the North tower might have. I did try to get a higher floor on a future day, both through my ambassador and via direct contact with the front desk, but a move would have been to a non-Corner/non-ocean view room, so we declined.

The room turned out to be fine, with one slight oddity. It was pretty windy this week (15-25mph), and the corner of the building just outside of the bedroom would catch the wind and "whistle". It was annoying when I focused on it, but not enough to interfere with sleep, etc. Our view was great of the ocean, but we did not have the advertised view of the Intercoastal that the Corner suites claim (we were too low).

The lounge was fine, but breakfast was un-inspired. Bagels, fruit (two bowls, but one just had the addition of melon and pineapple to what was in the first bowl), whole fruit, pastries, cheese slices (nothing fancy), oatmeal, and bagels. On a few days there was a charcuterie plate (aka ham). No sign of the smoked salmon that others have mentioned. The tip sheet is still distributed with the bottles of water. I did find that the staff don't circulate outside much if the weather isn't great.

During the day there were two bowls out, one with mixed nuts and another with snack mix. There was a water cooler with citrus-infused water available, but not bottles of water.

At night, there were typically two hot options plus chips/dips. The first night my wife went around 7pm (advertised hours are 5:30-7:30), and only one option was remaining. The choices were:
1) coconut shrimp / unknown 2) conch fritters/beef wellington bites 3) dumplings / egg rolls 4) crab cakes / chicken wings (not sure what was on the other day). On the last night, the typical chips component of a bowl of tortilla chips and another of pita chips, with sour cream / guacamole / hummus was replaced by a single bowl of pita chips and hummus. Cash bar, with soft drinks set out. The same water cooler was out, with no visible bottles of water.

We dined at two on-site food options, twice each. Rivals sports bar is located across the road from the hotel, serving very large portions at semi-inflated prices (no apps < $10). The first night was when I arrived, and the place was pretty empty at 10:30pm on a Wednesday. On Saturday during the SEC championship game the place was probably 3/4 full, with a small continegent of Alabama fans cheering on their team. Large tap selection (~12-15 options), but not exciting. Only a single local brew (Hurricane Reef Pale Ale). Servers not well educated on SPG Bars and Restaurants 10% off promo, but no issues getting the discount in the end.

The second option was Splash next to the pool. Signs around the pool indicate no food/drink on the pool deck, but we were able to eat at our chairs. Servers were standing and talking/not circulating, so I had to get up to go place my order, but once I had done that, our server checked in with us several other times. Food was good (steak sandwich (think cheesesteak, not sirloin), and served quickly; prices are similar to Rivals.

The pool was not overly busy; I'm sure the wind and mostly overcast skies much of the weak had a lot to do with that. I noticed a few cases of chair-saving on Saturday morning, but I had no issue finding a spot at 10:30. The crowd ebbed and flowed, with lots of shuffling as groups followed the sun around.

We had mixed experiences with requests placed via Service Express. Most were handled quickly (valet, replacing remote control, having room made up) but others were delayed / didn't happen (engineering, turn down one evening). Speaking of turn down, it happened automatically the first two nights, and then not at all on night three. We called and it happened on night four, called and it didn't happen while we were out (we had said they could come up right then when we called) on night 5.

My wife had a massage and mani/pedi. She's pregnant and the masseuse had the proper pillow, etc; she loved it! My wife did comment that while the spa area was very nice/modern, the area where the nails were done wasn't as nice.

Overall, we quite enjoyed ourselves. I didn't feel the Platinum love that other have mentioned, but I short-circuited that process by using my Suite Nights (I got the room type I had requested, but don't feel that I was given any special consideration in the location of the room assigned (very low floor)). We did get a large chocolate bar and 1/2 bottle of wine on the first night (2009 Kendall Jackson merlot, $25 on the room service menu), which was a pleasant surprise. We were looking for a low-key relaxing stay, and that's what we got.

Outside of the hotel, I highly recommend dining at Il Mercado, located south of the hotel, across the Intercoastal next to the Publix. It's a combination cafe/wine shop offering good Italian food, and many of the dishes are available as half portions. We also dined at Lola's on Harrison which is highly rated in the area, and felt that Il Mercado was much better (and livelier). Reservations are recommended; the dining room was full at 7:30 on Friday night.

Last edited by wizzy; Dec 1, 2012 at 7:41 pm Reason: added note on spa
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:32 pm

Getting nervous, need some stroking.

We stayed here a few years ago on a trip to sightsee around the So. Fl. area.

LOVED the hotel.

Now coming back on a cruise, and loved the hotel so much we're staying here 3 nights post cruise.

NOT renting a car (they are out of their minds ridiculously expensive, especially adding in parking at the hotel).

Our plan was to veg at the hotel after a very busy (almost a port a day) cruise.

But now I'm worried.

Will we be sick of vegging? Yeah, it's got pools, the beach, a fitness room...but are we going to be BORED sitting here for 3 nights? I know between the beach hotel (where we'll be) and the golf location there will be lots of places to eat and sit.

Have never really done this JUST RELAXING (the idea gives me the willies)...have you done it? And was it OK?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Will we be sick of vegging? Yeah, it's got pools, the beach, a fitness room...but are we going to be BORED sitting here for 3 nights? I know between the beach hotel (where we'll be) and the golf location there will be lots of places to eat and sit.

Have never really done this JUST RELAXING (the idea gives me the willies)...have you done it? And was it OK?
You will be bored. I can't veg for more than one day, but that's just me
Old Dec 12, 2012, 4:29 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie

i vegged here for a long weekend last year during the resorts promo... fri-mon and carless. had a great time. loved walking the beach, hanging around the multiple pools. great fitness room with a view. i don't think you'll have a problem.

i wasn't overly impressed by the lounge as everyone else seems to be (the spreads were average at best, and bringing out a basket of bagels and a tip card is tacky too be), but overall, loved my stay
Old Dec 12, 2012, 5:34 pm

The angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other

I think I'll investigate where the Trolley and the Water Taxi go. When we had a car we didn't really pay much attention to them.

Has anyone taken either from the hotel and where did you go, what did you do?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:13 pm

Just back from our annual stay at the Westin Diplomat. Here is the link to my blog post about what is new at this resort. http://frugaltravellawyer.com/2012/1...stin-diplomat/
Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:30 pm

When did the beach location get a spa at all? We were there (I think) 3 years ago and the ONLY spa was at the Golf Location.

I notice that the Aisia (sp) restaurant at the landing is no longer listed - did something new go into that space?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.