Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2012, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I am returning to this property after a two year hiatus. Will be staying this coming weekend. Looks like the reviews haven't changed since my last couple of stays a few years ago. If anything it sounds like things are even better, if that's even possible. Anyway, I am looking forward to my stay! Would be great to have the chance to meet DE too!
Old Jan 11, 2012, 4:18 am

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
kids club

the kids club and bouncy houses are located in a bit of a strange area. when you exit the back of the hotel, facing the pool/beach, you walk to the right side on the beach boardwalk...
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
When we were there last year the bouncy thing was not located on the beach boardwalk (which is down by the beach, right?), but rather the large cement terrace area of the hotel itself, where they can set up for private parties, etc...immediately when you came out of the hotel heading for the pool.

It's huge, you can't miss it, and if you do just ask someone.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: SPG-plat, AirMiles-gold
I guess (unless I really am that blind) the bouncy thing wasn't setup when I was there. It was easter 2011.

I might go back this year. What activities are available in the Kids Club?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:24 pm

kids club etc.

I'm here right now, and my kids attended (skipping school for vaca) the kids club this morning and had a great time. because there are only a handful of kids this week, there is no bounce house, but they had a nice coloring activity (4 and 5) and there is a bunch of fun stuff there (air hockey foosball) plus a nice area to play on the beach, and they go swimming too. Plus they throw in a nice goodie bag of fun stuff for kids (a quality little bag for the beach, plus a nice water bottle and a hat that says westin kids club, really cute.

So far my stay this week has been great, thanks especially to an upgrade to a corner suite (from paid rate on diplomat suite, i'm only an SPG Gold member), and a little box of chocolates nd hand written card for our anniversary, but i was surprised they didn't give us exec club access (i get that at all other sheraton brand hotels i go to), but whatever, and as always ymmv).
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Platinum, DL Silver Medallion
After reading all of the positive remarks on FT, I am having my ambassador book one of the corner suites and a grand deluxe room during March. I have previously stayed at the W Ft. Lauderdale, W Sobe, and Westin Beach Resort Ft. Lauderdale, and I am forward to making a positive comparison. I usually try to keep my expectations at a reasonable level but may have to significantly raise them after being regaled with stories of such exceptional stays.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta silver medallion
Nice, huge property, family oriented. stayed three times last year, I have received upgrade to suites on all occasion but I wasn't able to check in to my room until 5 or 6 pm on all the stays, no apology, no compensation offered. club selection is pathetic, two or three kinds of appetizers and soft drinks.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 8:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I've gotta get me an ambassador to make my reservations...I just do it all myself.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:58 am
Suspended

we just spent two nights at this hotel and we were very impressed.
we booked one award night which wasn't even an spg award, plus one C&P night.
we were upgraded to a diplomat suite which was very large, very well decorated, and extremely comfortable. wife and i were discussing whether or not we would prefer a standard room with a balcony or a suite with no balcony. we agreed that given that choice, we would rather have more space. i see that others here think the opposite.
everything about this hotel was great and we're not even really the beach resort types. we walked along the beach, sat by the pool and read, had a beer at the pool bar.
the club lounge was the best i have ever seen. very large and very well furnished. happy hour with complimentary drinks and breakfast in the morning. two huge balconies that give you a choice or east or west views and thus the corresponding degree of sunshine.
i can say without any hesitation whatsoever that i would love to go back to this hotel.

edit: i should specify that we had wine and no spirits like gin & tonic or rum & coke. we each had two glasses of wine and did not pay a penny. maybe spirits are charged?

Last edited by BenSenise; Feb 23, 2012 at 4:49 pm Reason: clarification regarding "drinks"
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT, *Wood PLT, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BenSenise
the club lounge was the best i have ever seen. very large and very well furnished. happy hour with complimentary drinks
Unless something has changed since my last visit just over a year ago, the lounge charges more for alcoholic drinks than in their bars downstairs, I seem to remember. Has that changed? Would be welcome news.

I will say that amenities in the lounge have deteriorated over time at this property. Used to offer great Fiji water, that disappeared. Offerings then went south at night, prices of drinks have risen, and breakfast offerings next.

Hope they still offer the salmon in the morning! That is my favorite.

Aside from these amenity reductions, I still love the plat treatment, the spa/relaxation part over at the golf course is wonderful as well.

Cheers.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Ten days ago Alcohol was not free in lounge

Breaky gd though ( especially after 2 hours in the gym!! )
Old Feb 23, 2012, 4:51 pm
Suspended

i'll add this here as well as editing my post to make sure it is seen. we each had two glasses of wine with some hors d'ouvres and did not pay anything. i don't know if they charge for spirits.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Question

Originally Posted by BenSenise
i'll add this here as well as editing my post to make sure it is seen. we each had two glasses of wine with some hors d'ouvres and did not pay anything. i don't know if they charge for spirits.
Are you're sure you weren't on some special food and drink deal or sthg??

I was there ten days ago..

Apetizers nothing special - actually I thought it very disapointing

Repeat - breaky excellent^
Old Feb 23, 2012, 5:49 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
I've got a weekend stay coming up here in April for a wedding, and I've been told my SPG Plat benefits still apply even though I've booked through a special room block. Hopefully it works out, the rave reviews here have got me excited!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Dr.Jordan
Nice, huge property, family oriented. stayed three times last year, I have received upgrade to suites on all occasion but I wasn't able to check in to my room until 5 or 6 pm on all the stays, no apology, no compensation offered. club selection is pathetic, two or three kinds of appetizers and soft drinks.
I think that having to wait 2 to 3 hours to check into a room on a suite upgrade is not outrageous, especially if they're trying to accommodate a late checkout from a previous Plat. member.

Is breakfast served in the club as well? I wonder how this will work with the free platinum benefit, since it's not a Sheraton.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.