Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:39 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I will post more later on. We booked a Superior room. We were pre-upgraded to a standard suite. At check-in, the FDC asked us to hold on to see if there was a corner suite with wraparound balcony available for us (we didn't ask). He came back a few minutes later with good news. Fantastic first impression!
Old Aug 18, 2012, 6:41 am

Programs: Free Agent
Westin Diplomat- Plat upgrade if already booked in suite?

a firm believer in "wi,bi" (want it, book it), we have booked a corner suite at the Westin Diplomat for a 5 night stay this fall. As a Plat, is there any potential room upgrade beyond what we have (which we are very happy with)?

Update:
Well- did not see this coming:
Not only did our booked corner suite with ocean view get changed, but to what I consider a downgrade:

booked:
• 1 Bedroom Suite Non-smoking, Smoke-free
• 66 Sq.m/712 Sq.ft - 70 Sq.m/750 Sq.ft • Heavenly Bed And Bath
• Corner Suite • Ocean View With Balcony
• Separate Living Area
My unrequested 'plat upgrade" as of today:
• 1 Bedroom Suite Non-smoking, Smoke-free
• 59 Sq.m/632 Sq.ft - 59 Sq.m/633 Sq.ft • Heavenly Bed And Bath
• Diplomat Suite • Resort View• Separate Living Area

I have canceled to avoid cancel penalty and will reassess how/if this hotel fits our plans. That may include contacting the hotel once I figure if I care enough to fight for what I thought I had booked.

Last edited by canolakid; Sep 24, 2012 at 8:31 pm Reason: update
Old Aug 18, 2012, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by millere2
I am firm believer in "UTET" (Use The Existing Threads) before starting a new one. If you searched that thread why didn't you post there?
As a new Plat, I would have appreciated suggestions, experiences on 'suite to suite upgrade' within SPG under the new Plat Suite regime. Have requested a thread move to Westin Diplomat to keep laser focus...
Old Aug 18, 2012, 7:54 am

If you wi,bi - was there anything else on the website? Did you try calling? If so, why not just book the highest/nicest room? Confused by your question.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
If you wi,bi - was there anything else on the website? Did you try calling? If so, why not just book the highest/nicest room? Confused by your question.
just looking for guidance as SPG Plat text states "Upgrades to best available room at check-in, including Standard Suites... Specialty Suites such as, but not limited to, premium view, Presidential, Honeymoon, and multiple bedroom suites are excluded". If I am already in a suite, does this mean no upgrade potential beyond what I have booked?
anyway, will call. and buy some flame retardant gloves for any future visits to the SPG board.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 8:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by millere2
I am firm believer in "UTET" (Use The Existing Threads) before starting a new one. If you searched that thread why didn't you post there?
I couldn't agree more! ^ ^

Originally Posted by canolakid
As a new Plat, I would have appreciated suggestions, experiences on 'suite to suite upgrade' within SPG under the new Plat Suite regime. Have requested a thread move to Westin Diplomat to keep laser focus...
As a frequent guest here and other properties, I'm going to say no. Not to come across as a smart ..., but you're booking what you want, so why would the hotel change that?

Most of the suites are sizable, so you should be happy with what you've booked.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
..., but you're booking what you want, so why would the hotel change that?

I agree- I book what I want. and am happy with my choice.

However, my experience with other hotels is elite status can sometimes confer an upgrade to something I don't want but others may see as a perq- eg smaller room -no view room but on club floor. dealing with this 'issue' at the front desk is awkward hence the question to this forum. As I stated above, I will deal directly with the hotel.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
I agree- I book what I want. and am happy with my choice.

However, my experience with other hotels is elite status can sometimes confer an upgrade to something I don't want but others may see as a perq- eg smaller room -no view room but on club floor. dealing with this 'issue' at the front desk is awkward hence the question to this forum. As I stated above, I will deal directly with the hotel.
Yes when you're going from a regular room, to a suite, this may happen. But you've booked a particular suite type. This property is very good with platinums and they won't change your room.

There is previous discussion here on this very subject. You might want to read that.

Enjoy your stay.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
If you're happy with the suite you've booked, know that you won't get upgraded to a premium suite, and are afraid of being "fake upgraded" to a club level or something you don't want, why don't you just have them mark your reservation "Do Not Upgrade"...I do this with a cruise line, we know about these fabulous secret cabins that most overlook, so I hand pick it and tell them I don't want anything else.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 6:30 am

a firm believer in "wi,bi" (want it, book it), we have booked a corner suite at the Westin Diplomat for a 5 night stay this fall. As a Plat, is there any potential room upgrade beyond what we have (which we are very happy with)?
This property has outstanding Plat treatment; among the very best in the network as far as I am concerned. While I am not sure you would get upgraded in this situation, I am sure if they offered it to you at check-in, you will be able to discuss this at the time. If it's better, take it; if not, the corner suite is a great room. We very much enjoyed ours.

For future reference, as I say, the Dip is one property where - all things being equal - I would probably take my chances on a Platinum upgrade. Just make sure it's not high season, or a convention on or something.

Enjoy.

Cheers,
Old Aug 19, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I think SNAs have changed the dynamic somewhat, in that Plats who use SNAs are automatically prioritized above those that don't.

Before, I think # of prior stays (i.e. repeat customer) would get more weight.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 7:32 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by Flews
This property has outstanding Plat treatment; among the very best in the network as far as I am concerned. While I am not sure you would get upgraded in this situation, I am sure if they offered it to you at check-in, you will be able to discuss this at the time. If it's better, take it; if not, the corner suite is a great room. We very much enjoyed ours.

For future reference, as I say, the Dip is one property where - all things being equal - I would probably take my chances on a Platinum upgrade. Just make sure it's not high season, or a convention on or something.

Enjoy.

Cheers,
+1. I've stayed here 9 times including Xmas week for 7 nights two years ago and have ALWAYS gotten a corner suite. This hotel is excellent for Plat suite upgrades & they do pre block them for plats (at least they did before the suite nights came along). I just used 4 suite nights for a stay coming up & they were already approved
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: SPG Plat(100), Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Avis First, United Gold
Stayed here this weekend for 3 nights on C&P
below the list of upgrades/downgrades I got during the week before my arrival:
standard room
grand deluxe room - ocean view
corner suite room - ocean view
diplomat suite - resort view
Club level suite - ocean view

PLT status is well recognized at this hotel. nice staff, internet is not working properly at 35th floor
FD said that this hotel is listed officially as the number one upgrades for plats

breakfast at the club is ok but not wow as expected (salmon only on one day, no cheese, no normal bread, no eggs)

overall very nice hotel and will return for sure

Last edited by tvervenne; Oct 24, 2012 at 8:27 am
Old Oct 24, 2012, 2:49 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Stayed for 5 nights, was upgraded to a Corner Suite. was on the 7th floor at first and hated it, requested to change and they only could've do it was on the 3rd day which I was ok with. It's very different from above.

Everyone at the hotel is just perfect from top to bottom. I would easily rate this hotel higher than the St. Regis down south.

Will definitely return, thinking of doing so in December.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:39 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
was on the 7th floor at first and hated it, requested to change
What was wrong with the 7th floor? Which floor did you get on the 3rd day?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.