Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Latest on the Starwood and Marriott merger : deal closed on 23 Sep.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Deal closed SEP 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs.

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018.

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG
Print Wikipost

Latest on the Starwood and Marriott merger : deal closed on 23 Sep.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2016, 7:42 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I doubt Sorenson will back out of the deal... But I think everybody also knows he overpaid for something that offers minimal value to Marriott other than sheer size...

I truly believe integrating these two companies will be a mess, as I have maintained for a long time. Reward program issues aside... the tremendous amount of work that has to be done for the front and back end employees will be a nightmare. Franchisees are already threatening to sue because of new competition within the same loyalty program, etc.

To those who think Marriott will reduce the number of brands, I doubt they will... And if they try to, that would probably be one of the most foolish endeavors that they would undertake.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Have any articles other than the NY Post (aka, Daily Mail) suggested the same? One article pushing one advisory group's thought doesn't make it true. I'm not saying it is or isn't btw, but if publications like WSJ, FT, NYT also had similar articles I'd probably put more faith in it. Also, isn't it a bit of a 'duh' - merging two loyalty programs isn't easy.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Aug 20, 2016 at 10:09 am
Old Aug 20, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
Marriott has no need to be worried. Just fold Marriott Rewards into SPG, the clearly superior program, instead of the opposite. The Marriott lemmings will follow along. Most of the Marriott "loyalists" I know have no clue that other hotel programs are better and will probably be delighted to know they can suddenly switch points 1-1 with airlines and do other things with their points. Oh, and not stay at boring properties. The new Preferred Guest program would just have to do a good job explaining the new math to the Marriott loyalists.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DesertRat
Marriott has no need to be worried. Just fold Marriott Rewards into SPG, the clearly superior program, instead of the opposite. The Marriott lemmings will follow along. Most of the Marriott "loyalists" I know have no clue that other hotel programs are better and will probably be delighted to know they can suddenly switch points 1-1 with airlines and do other things with their points. Oh, and not stay at boring properties. The new Preferred Guest program would just have to do a good job explaining the new math to the Marriott loyalists.
Or, better yet for us, don't bother explaining.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 7:19 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Presently typing this from a Fairfield Inn. Given the brown stains on my WC towels, I would take great pleasure in watching this merger fall apart.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DesertRat
That's a thought...but as a MR guy, I would hate to lose the travel packages which is a great value.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 1:50 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by seawolf
Dump some hotels in China.
The problem is that I think a major reason for MAR to buy SPG is their portfolio in China. It has been growing and the SPG brands are strong there. MAR on the other hand is pretty pathetic overseas. MAR certainly doesn't have much need for SPG's domestic portfolio. It's duplicative at best.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Boghopper
The problem is that I think a major reason for MAR to buy SPG is their portfolio in China. It has been growing and the SPG brands are strong there. MAR on the other hand is pretty pathetic overseas. MAR certainly doesn't have much need for SPG's domestic portfolio. It's duplicative at best.
I've wondered about this too....is there an easy location where we can look at 1) Marriott properties by brand (in terms of totals) as well as 2) by country?

Very easy on the Starwood site...less so on Marriott. Maybe in the 10-K I guess if one wanted to do some digging.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Boghopper
Isn't that funny - Marriott likes to talk about how many thousands of properties they have, but starwood has the properties people actually want to stay at.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Saw a headline somewhere today that Marriott wanted to back out of merger
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by username
That's a thought...but as a MR guy, I would hate to lose the travel packages which is a great value.
But in return you'd get starwood points - sounds like a fair deal to me!
Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Hopefully the Chinese review will result in killing the deal - they way overpaid, values are dropping fast, and hostility with mgmt and customers continues to brew.

No one wants this merger, except perhaps Sorensen - time to kill the deal, then perhaps Bill Marriott can fire him.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
It's been kind of interesting, from my POV (and speaking only for myself). I had been checking out SPG slowly, since we go to Europe at least a couple of times a year, where the Ritz/Marriott presence is smaller (our other option there is Accor; we also do LHW Leaders' Club, but that is a different system). Since the announcement of the merger, we have been shifting significant business, both in Europe and in the US, over to SPG properties, business that would have gone to Ritz/Marriott properties.

What we have found is that SPG properties treat even their non-elites better, constantly, than RR treats its low-level elites at many properties. We have been greeted with welcome gifts in our room on more than one occasion because the room was not ready on time. We have been reminded at check-in of discounts available for eating on-site, simply for being SPG members. More than anything, there are properties at a variety of price points throughout the US and Europe.

Admittedly, when we want unique hotels with a local flavor and a particularly romantic stay, we tend to go with LHW, where we pay up front for something akin to elite status. But SPG has surprised us, and we will probably continue to shift business their way.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by no1cub17
But in return you'd get starwood points - sounds like a fair deal to me!
I am not sure if anything compares to the Marriott travel packages where MR points, which can be earned 10/$ or 5/$ depending on the hotel, go 1:1 to many airlines.

I have mixed feelings about the merger. If SPG is merged into MR as is, I hate to lose the SPG benefits like MAGC at 500/night, 100% bonus and Your24. However, making SPG status is hard because of its small footprint and I frequently have to put up with pretty bad hotels to make status. Since I am lifetime Platinum with MR, I thought this was the last year I had to qualify for SPG Plat 75.

In any case, I think if Starwood does not merge with Marriott, it will merge with someone else (or be bought by someone). So, the story continues either way.

If the merger does not go through due to regulatory reasons , does Marriott have to pay SPG some breakup fee?

Last edited by username; Aug 21, 2016 at 2:10 pm
Old Aug 21, 2016, 2:32 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by username
I am not sure if anything compares to the Marriott travel packages where MR points, which can be earned 10/$ or 5/$ depending on the hotel, go 1:1 to many airlines.

I have mixed feelings about the merger. If SPG is merged into MR as is, I hate to lose the SPG benefits like MAGC at 500/night, 100% bonus and Your24. However, making SPG status is hard because of its small footprint and I frequently have to put up with pretty bad hotels to make status. Since I am lifetime Platinum with MR, I thought this was the last year I had to qualify for SPG Plat 75.

In any case, I think if Starwood does not merge with Marriott, it will merge with someone else (or be bought by someone). So, the story continues either way.

If the merger does not go through due to regulatory reasons , does Marriott have to pay SPG some breakup fee?
If I recall correctly, a breakup fee of something between 400-450 million USD would fall onto Starwood's shoulders, so they'd pay Marriott instead of the other way around.

khabah

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.