Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Latest on the Starwood and Marriott merger : deal closed on 23 Sep.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Deal closed SEP 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs.

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018.

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG
Print Wikipost

Latest on the Starwood and Marriott merger : deal closed on 23 Sep.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2016, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by sethb
I'm confident that investors look to the short term.
Define short term. Years is not short term, IMO.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Aleko
Oh, I forgot about that... but still, it's a $400/year card, and there are much better cards out there for less AF.
If you're OK with the SPG foot print and Hyatt can meet your needs, the United Club card gives you Hyatt Platinum status in addition to all the United benefits. Pricier, but a bit more useful benefits too I think (assuming United is an airline possibility for you).
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by danielchee
If you're OK with the SPG foot print and Hyatt can meet your needs, the United Club card gives you Hyatt Platinum status in addition to all the United benefits. Pricier, but a bit more useful benefits too I think (assuming United is an airline possibility for you).
Like SPG, Hyatt reserves most benefits for its top tier elites. For example, in addition to suites (via DSUs), Diamonds get 4 pm checkout while Platinums get only 2 pm at Hyatts.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:10 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
You need 50 nights for Marriott Gold, not 25.
I think sethb was replying to someone stating they can only manage upwards of 30 nights a year. So adding in 15 more nights from the CC plus you can get 10 more nights from renting a conference room out for an hour. If you don't want to spend any money on a conference room, you could just charge $15K to the Marriott card. That will not only get you more points but will get you another 5 nights credit as well (1 night credit for each $3K spent.)
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
You need 50 nights for Marriott Gold, not 25.
I was responding to someone who said they had 20-30 nights/year, so another 25 would just about do it (at worst, they'd need 2 meetings every other year).
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Troopers
Define short term. Years is not short term, IMO.
The stock market is (in)famous for not looking past the next quarter.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by sethb
The stock market is (in)famous for not looking past the next quarter.
True...but I wouldn't say the same about the board and key shareholders.

On another related note: one of my clients is dropping Marriott (Residence Inn) and will be a Hyatt Place, and another client is developing/building as a Aloft.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I just noticed this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...b-lounges.html

That can't be the sum total of properties that have/don't have lounges is it?

Cheers.
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
A lounge is an element of the Sheraton brand standards. Not so for Westin (or Element or aloft). I don't know about Four Points (best avoided entirely in the U.S.) St Regis, W, Le Meridien or Luxury Collection. So, that may not be a comprehensive list you linked but even a full list of lounges is going to be a little thin.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Many Westins and a few LMs and LCs have lounges. Beyond that, having a lounge is very much the exception. Elements have free hot (good) breakfast for all every day and an evening manageer's reception three or four nights per week.

BTW, the brand standard is for Sheraton lounges to be open and offer breakfast and evening F&B seven days per week (with entitlement to points when the lounge is closed) and also accessible for water/coffee/light snacks 24/7, at least in the USA.
Ah, thanks for the additional information 3Cforme & MSPeconomist. I knew SPG properties had lounges but wasn't sure of which brands.

Since I maintain the exec lounge sticky in the Marriott forum (although it's focus is more which are open/closed on weekends & what the brekkie situation is)....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-weekends.html

...I was curious re: the SPG lounges. I saw the SPG lounge thread was a wiki, so figured that perhaps it hadn't been updated w/ all properties/why it seemed a bit thin.

On the lounge I maintain I also depend on input from FTers on domestic/int'l properties, but in the US & Canada have personally called all the properties to ask their exec lounge status & on the int'l ones have checked their websites. Which reminds me I should probably do the annual calling next month to update properties- as you can imagine, it takes a lot of hours to reach out to the properties/update.

There are more Marriott properties than SPG properties w/ exec lounges (see link above), so that is a plus for SPGers who might stay at Marriott properties post-merger.

With Marriott the brands w/ lounges, or brekkie if there isn't a lounge, are Marriott, Renaissance, JW Marriott, & Autograph Collection (resorts excluded). In Asia CYs often have lounges, but CYs in other parts of the world don't. Although it's not listed officially in the 4 brands, to date Delta properties in Canada have exec lounges/extended brekkie privileges. If an exec lounge is closed on the weekend,or if there isn't an exec lounge,, the elite has the option of brekkie in the restaurant or 750 points/night. Int'l properties lounges tend to be open 7days/week.

To date, descriptions of types of offerings - ie, beer, wine, hot meals, etc, etc, I've left in the property threads because that can change & it takes up enough time to keep the Marriott exec lounge sticky updated.

Anyway, thanks for the update on the SPG lounges/brands. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond (SM), Asiana Diamond.
Originally Posted by CLEguy
And already the policy has holes enough to drive a truck through.

As written on the Marriott site referenced by a previous post:
"Gold and Platinum Elite members may request late checkout, which could be as late as 4 pm"

And on the Insiders forum:
"These members will receive a guaranteed late checkout, which could be as late as 4pm, based on availability"

Lucky at OMAAT also reached Marriott PR team and this is the following response:

Hopefully I can clarify; It’s all based on availability on the check-out day. Gold and Platinum Elite members will receive a guaranteed late checkout and it could be as late as 4pm. Members can request the late checkout when making a reservation via phone, through the Marriott Mobile app via the mobile check-in process, or when checking in upon arrival at the hotel. This benefit is available at all fully participating Rewards hotels with the exclusion of resorts, convention hotels and Marriott Vacation Club.
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ite-guarantee/

I don't think it is "guaranteed." If they say this is "guarantee" I call it "shady."
Old Apr 19, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by dewdreamdawn
I don't think it is "guaranteed." If they say this is "guarantee" I call it "shady."
I guarantee I'll hand you the $20 bill in my pocket.

When you ask.

Tomorrow.

If I have one.

And you can prove it.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 12:52 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I guarantee I'll hand you the $20 bill in my pocket.

When you ask.

Tomorrow.

If I have one.

And you can prove it.

Well said ^ I can't believe this BS
Old Apr 19, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Per VFTW here, Marriott will begin offering guaranteed 4p checkout for Gold and Platinum members starting 5/16. Excludes resorts, convention, and timeshare properties.

Also adding a Moments-like offering, and apparently testing out an Ambassador service.

This...is not bad!
Call me gobsmacked. I would have bet dollars to donuts there was no way mar would just impose this in their franchisees. They must actually a rats patootie that so many of us are heading for the exits. It certainly shows in my account, last year this time I had about 20 stays and 40 nights with future bookings to 35/75ish. This year two stays and four nights and future bookings of three and three.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
And already the policy has holes enough to drive a truck through.

As written on the Marriott site referenced by a previous post:
"Gold and Platinum Elite members may request late checkout, which could be as late as 4 pm"

And on the Insiders forum:
"These members will receive a guaranteed late checkout, which could be as late as 4pm, based on availability"
This is the sort of weaseling I would expect to see. In fact, anybody can request late checkout now, and that checkout time might be just about anything. I figure they really have no way to give the ironclad 4 pm checkout like Hyatt/spg because of existing franchise agreements. So they expel some puffery to make things look nice.

The difference remains that at spg/Hyatt there are specific entitlements by which the hotels must abide. Mar has a bunch of possibilities that are at the whim of the hotel.

Hyatt still looking head and shoulders better to me, but ymmv.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Like SPG, Hyatt reserves most benefits for its top tier elites. For example, in addition to suites (via DSUs), Diamonds get 4 pm checkout while Platinums get only 2 pm at Hyatts.
Oops! Yes you're right. I was thinking SPG platinum when I saw that line in the card and automatically associated it with top tier at Hyatt instead of Diamond. Doh! Thanks for correcting!
Old Apr 19, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by danielchee
Oops! Yes you're right. I was thinking SPG platinum when I saw that line in the card and automatically associated it with top tier at Hyatt instead of Diamond. Doh! Thanks for correcting!
In the somewhat distant past, perhaps around 2010, Hyatt did give Plats something special for about every fourth stay: some sort of an upgrade, lounge access, etc. I forget what this feature was called.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.