Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: When will my starpoints expire? 2007 onwards discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
How can I keep my points from expiring?

See the wiki and related discussion at How to keep SPG points from expiring after one year
Print Wikipost

FAQ: When will my starpoints expire? 2007 onwards discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2008, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Canarsie
I currently have a reservation at a Starwood property that is two days after one year after the most recent activity in my Starwood Preferred Guest account......does this mean I still risk losing my Starpoints if I take no intermediate action until then?

According to the T&Cs yes it seems there is a risk. However, in my case, I (probably foolishly) made it 15 months with no "stay" activity and my points were still there.

I transfered the last of my points out last week.

rich
Old Dec 5, 2008, 9:00 am

Programs: 1MM UA
Even though my point has been gone for a year, my account seems to still exist, maybe so they can send me emails.

Today I got an email that contained the following:
" Here's an important reminder: Your Starpoints® balance is 0 as of 01-DEC-2008. But since you haven't had any Starpoints activity in 12 months, your valuable Starpoints will expire soon."
Old Dec 5, 2008, 7:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sosafan
Today I got an email that contained the following:
"Here's an important reminder: Your Starpoints® balance is 0 as of 01-DEC-2008. But since you haven't had any Starpoints activity in 12 months, your valuable Starpoints will expire soon."
That's hilarious! Wow, nothing like rubbing it in... Or maybe, you never know what you don't have until it's gone.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 8:46 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
I believe some compensation is owed to you for their emailed error. Why don't you submit an online complaint and request 5 points compensation?
Old Dec 15, 2008, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
Originally Posted by gleff
I notice that the wording of the terms and conditions seem to have changed.
Just a quick question. Does "Redeem a hotel night" extend my active member status for one more year?
Old Dec 15, 2008, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yuchung5
Just a quick question. Does "Redeem a hotel night" extend my active member status for one more year?
No, but Starpoint generating meals, etc. charged during an award stay (US$10 minimum, I think) would.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 8:21 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Canarsie
I currently have a reservation at a Starwood property that is two days after one year after the most recent activity in my Starwood Preferred Guest account......does this mean I still risk losing my Starpoints if I take no intermediate action until then?
I did not lose them.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I realized that I did not stay at a Starwood Hotel yet this year, so I was considering just booking the cheapest local room I could find for one night (the hotel equivalent of a mileage run). Before doing so, I called SPG, and they looked at my account and said that I have until the end of June 2009 to earn points to not lose the ones I have. I guess that accounts for the six month "inactive" period before you lose your points?

I find the definition of a "stay transaction" confusing (i.e., what is required to maintain your account). An SPG CSR in the past told me that it must be a hotel stay and that a meal would not count, but the very kind Starwood Lurker says otherwise. I'll try a meal at a W in the near future, and plan on staying at a *wood property on my next trip.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 10:43 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by tripelite
I find the definition of a "stay transaction" confusing (i.e., what is required to maintain your account). An SPG CSR in the past told me that it must be a hotel stay and that a meal would not count, but the very kind Starwood Lurker says otherwise. I'll try a meal at a W in the near future, and plan on staying at a *wood property on my next trip.
Do remember to check beforehand if the restaurant you are planning to have your meal at is able to credit the eligible Starpoints to your account.

[email protected]
Old Jan 5, 2009, 6:33 pm

Do Starpoints Expire?

I have a simple question - do Starpoints ever expire like airline miles?
Old Jan 5, 2009, 6:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood Plt, Hilton Gold (got it free) AC Elite, Fairmont Plt, Priority Club Plt
Originally Posted by Mr. S
Hello:

Points do not expire as long as you are an active member. In short, this means 1 transaction a year. Either by way of a purchase or stay. Full info is below.

3.2. You will be considered an "Active Member" so long as (a) your Membership has not been cancelled (by you or us), and (b) you have had an Eligible Stay at a Participating Property within the previous 12 months, or (c) you have earned Starpoints by using a Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card during the previous 12 months. Starpoints resulting from transfers or earnings from Program affiliates do not count toward active status. Owners are not subject to the Eligible Stay requirement and will continue to be considered an Active Member as long as they own their Vacation Ownership interest and maintain their Starwood Vacation Ownership account in good standing.

3.3. If you do not remain an Active Member, we will close your Membership account and all Starpoints in the account shall be forfeited without notice.

3.4. If we revoke your Membership, for any reason, you may not reapply for Membership and any account opened in your name and Starpoints earned in that account shall be forfeited upon discovery. If you cancel your Membership, or if we close your account because you do not remain an Active Member, you may reapply for Membership at a later date, but you will not recover any Starpoints forfeited from your prior Membership.

3.5. We may cancel accumulated Starpoints, suspend your Membership privileges or terminate your Membership at any time with immediate effect, confirmed by written notification to you if, in our sole discretion, you have (a) acted in a manner inconsistent with applicable laws or ordinances, (b) acted in a fraudulent or abusive manner, (c) breached any of these Terms and Conditions, (d) engaged in fraud or abuse concerning Starpoints, award usage or Membership privileges and benefits, or (e) failed to pay any bill when due to Starwood Hotels or any Participating Property. Subject to applicable law, Membership will terminate automatically on your filing for bankruptcy or otherwise becoming subject to a bankruptcy proceeding.

3.6. We may also take appropriate legal or administrative action if any of the items listed above occurs. Nothing contained in these Terms and Conditions shall limit us in the exercise of any legal or equitable rights or remedies.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 6:48 pm

Programs: lost all status during pandemic...
Originally Posted by Mr. S
However, I have also had mine re-instated when I explained I was in a new job and would be travelling a lot more after mine where expired a couple years ago.

I just sent them an email explaining my situation and they where re-instated shortly afterwards.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 8:39 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by calgary_jay
However, I have also had mine re-instated when I explained I was in a new job and would be travelling a lot more after mine where expired a couple years ago.

I just sent them an email explaining my situation and they where re-instated shortly afterwards.
I believe you are referring to your account, right?

Points once expired will be forfeited. However, YMMV.

[email protected]
Old Jan 5, 2009, 8:57 pm

does earning starpoints from a breakfast (by paying cash) at a starwood property extends expiration date of SPG account?
Old Jan 5, 2009, 9:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood Plt, Hilton Gold (got it free) AC Elite, Fairmont Plt, Priority Club Plt
Originally Posted by money_opp
does earning starpoints from a breakfast (by paying cash) at a starwood property extends expiration date of SPG account?
It depends on the value. Must be at least US $10. Provide your SPG card when you pay and ask for the points. Keep the receipt until it posts.

Also report here where you got a breakfast for $10

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.