Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Munich Airport MUC, Munich, Germany, LEAVING SPG 20 Jun '16 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Munich Airport MUC, Munich, Germany, LEAVING SPG 20 Jun '16 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2010, 2:10 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I just finished a 2 night stay here. Originally had meetings at Audi HQ but our kind host got a conference room at the Audi Forum at MUC airport and spared us the early morning drive up to Ingostadt. I thought about staying at the Kempinski in the airport, but since I was arriving at 6pm directly from LAX and had a full day of meetings the next day I thought I would get out of the airport complex. I enjoyed a few beers on the hotel's nice patio (a bit of airplane noise but not bad) and a pretty good meal the first night.

The second night after our meetings I looked around a bit and anyone who says this place is in the middle of nowhere has missed the boat. Within 15-20 minutes you have 2 stellar places to get beer, maybe 2 of the best places in the world (and nice little towns to stroll to top it off). A must visit is the 1000 year old Weinstephan brewery (with a decent restaurant http://www.brauerei-weihenstephan.de....html?lang=eng) which has nice views from an outdoor sitting area. This is on the edge of Freising, and while there you can get a tour of the Domberg cathedral (and the brewery itself if you go at the right time).

Also a short hop away in nearby Erding... and you have http://www.erdinger.de/en/Company/Brewery.html

'Nuff said, this is not a bad place to be stuck for a couple of days!

I used a taxi for transport, had them take me out, come back and pick me up, etc. It wasnt cheap (about 50Eu total for the night), but easier than trying to get a new taxi from each place. Also used a taxi to/from airport because there were 2 of us and it seems more convenient than the shuttle.

And no, I wouldnt try to walk it to either of these places from the hotel ;-)
Old May 23, 2011, 9:24 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Overall OK 1 night paid stay, my first at this property. However, few things VERY odd:

- Checkin there was a HUGE line, and no Plat counter available. Late evening with tired kids, not so nice. We decided to have dinner first (out hotel turn left, Pizza place after 5min on your right, 2 min more on your left decent local place). Upon return we still had to wait 15 minutes - overall a 90min delay on check-in

- had chosen to book the largest room (not suite) category to not having to rely on the upgrade when traveling with family. Oddly enough they gave us the room right above the entrance area, which would have been terribly noisy facing the street and all departing guests in the morning. Sorry, but as a Plat paying for this room category, that's really not acceptable. Had to go down again to change to smaller (yet no refund offered) room which did not have the extra bed but was garden-facing. So no up- but downgrade but at least this room was quiet in the morning, and overall a nice room with sofa bed large enough for 2 kids.

- In the morning we wanted to use the pool, but it turned out that at 9am people from surrounding villages are blocking the pool for baby swimming courses. Now that's a surprise ! Good for them, but as a paying guest that is hard to understand, especially at this hour. Given this is an airport hotel, I am sure doing the same at 14h00 or so would be much less of an issue. Plus, please tell me about it in advance, so I don't have to disappoint my own kids.

Mentioned these points at checkout, while the manager was apologetic no refund or compensation was offered. Did not ask or push, as I think it really only feels as a compensation if it is offered without asking.

On the upside, the hotel has nice rooms, breakfast is quite good, and given this is an airport hotel, it has nice surroundings. Parking is EUR 14, but you can park for free in the street that leads to the football pitch next door.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Gold Elite
Any idea how to contact someone at the hotel directly via email? I need to book a day room but need it outside the standard hours of 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. I want to see if this is possible and what the rate would be.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 5:26 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
How much does the shuttle costs? We're with two persons, is it better to take a taxi?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 6:39 am
Suspended

e-mail / public transport

Originally Posted by CarNut
Any idea how to contact someone at the hotel directly via email? I need to book a day room but need it outside the standard hours of 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. I want to see if this is possible and what the rate would be.
I'd advise you to send an email.

Also this advice goes to the gentleman with the bus question. I am not sure, I guess it was 8 € per room. I took always bus 512 from the airport to the hotel (bus stop "am Sportplatz").
Old Mar 18, 2012, 9:35 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I stayed there in February 2012 before the changes in the SPG were valid.

Arrival Date: February 15th, 2012
Departure Date: February 16th, 2012
Room type booked: Classic Room with two single beds (got Executive King)
Rate Plan: Beatthetimer Rate
Room Number: 323
Room Rate: 75.00 EUR

Status of Guest Program: Platinum

I took the bus from the airport and arrived around 16:50 at the hotel. The bus stop is “Schwaig Sportplatz” and it is less than 200 metres to walk from the bus stop. Nobody was in front of me and I was welcomed in the hotel by the check in agent. I was asked to check the information on the receipt and had only to sign and was offered the choice of SPG Platinum welcome gift – I took the points but thought about taking a Food & Beverage credit of 10 USD instead (I would have done so if it would have been 10 EUR). I did not get any information about upgrades or room preferences; I was just told I was assigned a room on the second floor.

The room was shaped like an average hotel room except that it has a slanted ceiling.

There was a small hallway with the built in closet and the entrance to the bathroom. The closet also hosted the iron and ironing board as well as minibar. Unfortunately there was no in room safe, one had to use safe deposit boxes at the check in counters.

The average seized bathroom features a sink, toilet and bath. It was modern and in the design of the late 80ies. Behind the sink was a mirror which became foggy after a hot shower. A hairdryer was wall mounted on the left side of the sink while a vanity mirror was on the right side. Bathroom amenities were available (Sheraton brand) and three towels of small, medium and large size.
The glass panel at the bath was a bit too short to avoid water dripping on the floor. The shower head was in good condition.

The room was designed in Bavarian / Alpine style. On the left side was the bed with two bedside tables followed by the working desk. There was only one power outlet to plug in a laptop or another device which from my impression is not sufficient; there should be at least two outlets. The only phone was placed here as well and also the LAN connection. The LAN connection was okay, but I did not get a WiFi signal.

In front of the window were two armchairs with a small table and a lamp. Opposite the bed, i.e. on the right side of the room was a small bank to place a suitcase and a sideboard hosting the flat TV as well as the coffee machine. Unfortunately the later one was not working properly and it was in the need to be reprogrammed for the settings.

The mattress of the bed was to soft and it was not the Sheraton Sweat Sleeper Bed. Therefore my sleep was not as good as it could have been.

Two complimentary water bottles were placed in the minibar, which was not mentioned during check in and also not noted in the welcome letter. If one did not look into the minibar, one would not noticed the free bottles.

The desk was under the attic and the headroom was low. I would also rate it as on the smaller side and one had difficulties to place a laptop and papers.

The room was in average shape, the furniture had a few scratches and the carpet a few stains but nothing too serious and given the wooden furniture it adds to the patina.

I had a glass of Radler and a soup in the bar. Service was slow and not very attentive; I had to wait close to 15 minutes before I was asked if I would like to order something. In addition to the limited food menu of the bar dishes from the main restaurant were available as well. I did not have to wait that long for the food to be served and the quality of the food was okay. Once I was served the waitress was a bit more attentive. She was alone but the lobby and the bar were not too busy. She was also not overly friendly in the first time. I think, there is room for improvement and cleaning the bar and not serving customer is probably not the way to run a bar.

Check out was fast, I was addressed by name. I was not asked if everything was okay but mentioned the malfunction of the coffee machine. The agent forgot to give me my credit card back, which he noticed earlier than me and brought it while I was waiting for the shuttle bus in the lobby.

I think I will stay there again, but my first impression is not the best. However given the rate of 75 EUR, which was cheaper than the Holiday Inn Express next door, I consider it as a good value for money. The rooms are okay, the service in the bar could be improvement but the attendant in the wellness area was somehow annoying, one should not treat guest like children.

Pictures of the room along with a few general remark about the hotel are on my homepage: http://www.hotels-and-travel.de/hote..._muc_snmuc.htm

By the way, they reduced the fee for the shuttle from 8.00 EUR to 5.00 EUR oneway.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 3:21 am

Is there a lounge 2 this hotel???
Old Jun 14, 2012, 4:35 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Question Is this a good Airport hotel for day use?

I'm arriving in MUC @ 9AM and have a 8PM flight that evening. I booked the Sheraton a few months ago while on the same trip but cancelled as I found that LH paid for my day room at the Kempinsky (connected to the airport so a no brainer). However, my upcoming transfer in MUC is not with LH so I'm on my own. I need a room from around 9AM-5PM. Would anyone recommend this hotel vs going downtown which I think would be kind of far just for 8 hours. I could book the Kempinsky and pay for a day room but as an SPG Plat, I'd like the points
Old Nov 17, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by ehud
Is there a lounge 2 this hotel???

No lounge.

At the moment 20% off for restaurant, bar and roomservice. Voucher says: 20% platinum voucher.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:30 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question Great rates on Beat the Timer

I am looking at this property for an MR stay. It has decent reviews and is currently offered for 70 Euro on:
www.beatthetimer.com
(good for dates through 6 April 2013)
Can anyone confirm what they provide for PLATs? (I was surprised to see there is no lounge, but there is always the LH Senator Lounge at MUC to look forward to!)
Old Jan 8, 2013, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I am looking at this property for an MR stay. It has decent reviews and is currently offered for 70 Euro on:
www.beatthetimer.com
Can anyone confirm what they provide for PLATs? (I was surprised to see there is no lounge, but there is always the LH Senator Lounge at MUC to look forward to!)
They provide good upgrades, that's it
Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:29 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
www.beatthetimer.com
Upgrade to Executive Room (one category upgrade to an SPG room, which has the advantage of not being in the basement), sometimes to a Junior Suite, but I would not relay on it.

Voucher for 20% of food and beverage in restaurant and bar, free internet and of course you could get breakfast as Plat amenity instead of the 500 points.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Update as of August 2013: the paid bus is now 5 euros per person per direction. The schedule as of our stay last week was departing from the hotel shuttle area, lower level near Terminal 1 (?), at 17 and 47 past the hour. Children under 18 are free. There is one other hotel stop on the way to the Sheraton, but none on the way back to the airport. I believe the departures from the Sheraton were pretty close to 00 and 30 past the hour.

You may have to walk a long way to or from the hotel shuttle, depending on your airline. The drop-off/pick-up point is not the most convenient, nor the most well-marked in the airport. (We had a couple different airport employees for directions.) If your party is 2+, a cab is definitely the way to go. Even a solo traveler might consider whether the time/effort differential is worth it...

We did not observe any kind of cab stand at this hotel. You could certainly take a taxi over from MUC, but then you'd have to get one dispatched to get back. I don't know if that's customary there or if cabbies would bristle at coming to fetch a 10-euro fare.

There is no free parking at the hotel. There is underground parking for 16 euros per night. I didn't investigate the street parking situation in the blocks around the hotel.

There is large, modern 24-hour petrol station on the road between the hotel and the airport if you need to refuel your rental car. You can't miss it...

Did a 1-night stay there as a Gold. No upgrades. Rooms were small but pleasant. We had been driving a lot that day and were pretty tired when we rolled into the hotel late in the evening, so we just had dinner at the property. Food was good...there are nice spots to sit outside both in front of and behind the hotel. Took a quick swim in the indoor pool which was nice as well.

Decent property if you get it very cheap I suppose. The lack of complimentary transport to/from MUC was a shock, but I'll chalk that up to my not reading this thread beforehand like I should have. This is only very loosely an "airport" hotel (it's quite a ways from MUC), but the small-village feel to it is in some ways more pleasant than the typical high-rise that sits directly adjacent to airports the world over.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Question Sheraton Oberding (aka München Airport) - Shuttle or taxi?

While I have already booked a stay in Sheraton München Airport (which is located in the small village of Oberding), I'm currently wondering whether to take the shuttle service provided by the hotel or a taxi to get to the airport.

Those are the facts:

- According to Google Maps, the hotel is about 6 km away from the airport terminal
- They would charge EUR 10 for a single trip for two people to get to the airport, with departures being every 30 minutes

To be honest, I find it quite bold that they call themselves an "Airport Hotel" while they are located quite a hike away from the airport, without providing a free shuttle service to their guests (some negative reviews on TA suggest that there are also a few other things where they boldly charge for this and that). Hence, I am really considering to take a (paid) taxi instead of using the (also paid) hotel shuttle, even if that would be slightly more expensive (to me, this is a matter of principle). Does anyone know how much a 6 km taxi ride (including the increased base fee for ordering a taxi) would cost?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
I stayed there a few years ago. I don't think there are any taxis nearby. They would probably have to drive from the airport to get you.

The hotel is literally in the middle of farm fields, with practically nothing around.

I am as loyal to SPG as the next guy. But if I want an airport hotel in Munich, I'll stay at the Kempinski where I can walk to the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.