Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Munich Airport MUC, Munich, Germany, LEAVING SPG 20 Jun '16 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Munich Airport MUC, Munich, Germany, LEAVING SPG 20 Jun '16 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by porciuscato
I stayed there a few years ago. I don't think there are any taxis nearby. They would probably have to drive from the airport to get you.

The hotel is literally in the middle of farm fields, with practically nothing around.

I am as loyal to SPG as the next guy. But if I want an airport hotel in Munich, I'll stay at the Kempinski where I can walk to the airport.
I agree and I have stayed in the Kempinski there but not the Sheraton.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by bruce80
While I have already booked a stay in Sheraton München Airport (which is located in the small village of Oberding), I'm currently wondering whether to take the shuttle service provided by the hotel or a taxi to get to the airport.

Those are the facts:

- According to Google Maps, the hotel is about 6 km away from the airport terminal
- They would charge EUR 10 for a single trip for two people to get to the airport, with departures being every 30 minutes

To be honest, I find it quite bold that they call themselves an "Airport Hotel" while they are located quite a hike away from the airport, without providing a free shuttle service to their guests (some negative reviews on TA suggest that there are also a few other things where they boldly charge for this and that). Hence, I am really considering to take a (paid) taxi instead of using the (also paid) hotel shuttle, even if that would be slightly more expensive (to me, this is a matter of principle). Does anyone know how much a 6 km taxi ride (including the increased base fee for ordering a taxi) would cost?
I would always take a taxi. It is around 10 Euro. And Airport Hotel? If you consider what is called an airport hotel at LHR or LGA/EWR, then you are still pretty close to the airport
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Originally Posted by porciuscato
But if I want an airport hotel in Munich, I'll stay at the Kempinski where I can walk to the airport.
Well, usually, I'm not particularly loyal to SPG (with about 1 or 2 stays per year, mainly to keep my account active), but this time I chose SPG because I was able to book a reward night with them (during my stay, hotel prices in Munich are exorbitant, probably due to some trade fair going on). Otherwise, I would surely have chosen something directly at the airport (but not at rates of 270+ EUR per night).

Note to mod: Thanks for moving my enquiry here (and sorry for opening a new thread), search didn't really yield this thread
Old Apr 12, 2014, 2:42 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
A previous post from 2012 said this property has no lounge. Is that still the case? If so, do they offer Plats a free breakfast as recompense?

Can anyone comment about the availability of standard suites with sleeper sofas? (I'm traveling with 2 kids).
Old Apr 12, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: SPG Plat100, BAEC Silver, M&M FTL, Friend of Laphroaig
I stayed there a week or two ago. I got a breakfast (full buffet) + 500 points + 20% discount at the bar downstairs (both food and drinks).
Old Apr 13, 2014, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Same for me
Old Apr 13, 2014, 2:35 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Sheraton Munich Airport MUC, Munich / München, Germany [Master Thread]

Most executive rooms have a decent size pullout sofa. Room 241 for example is quite good. Send them an email in advance, this is one of the better hotels in europe to accommodate children.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
I just completed a one-night stay here and it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be, thus I wanted to post a few comments.

I picked this hotel because the rate was 71EUR and it would help me close out another 5-night block in the current promotion. I took a taxi from MUC to the hotel at night, having just missed the shuttle, and that was EUR14.20. Check-in was very friendly and I had used a SNA to confirm a Junior Suite - which really wasn't that much bigger than a standard room, based on the map, but it was nice. One thing that I really liked was that the windows opened all the way so we were able to get some fresh air. The airplane noise wasn't that bad, especially as it got to be past 11PM, and I got a good night's sleep.

If you come out the hotel and turn left, you can walk to an Italian restaurant. After a week with only Efes to drink, we wanted a more interesting beer and found a dunkel at this restaurant - I didn't have any of the food but it looked appetizing. I didn't see anything else within near distance.

For an 815AM international flight, we took the 7AM shuttle and were at the LH business lounge by probably 725. I was impressed with how quickly we were able to get to the lounge - it was only an 11 minute ride to the airport - and didn't find the location to be that bad. Sure, it's not attached to the airport and the EUR5 per person charge kinda stinks, but overall I thought it was fine.

The bathroom was large with a double vanity, a stall shower, and tub. At check-in I was given a 20% off chit for the bar/restaurant. I did not have time to investigate breakfast.

This wasn't the best airport hotel I've stayed at but for the price I was very satisfied.

Last edited by River in Sight; May 2, 2014 at 9:45 am
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:32 am

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Any updates on recent experience at this hotel?

Anything given for Plats in-lieu of missing lounge like drinks at bar during evening cocktail hours, or welcome drinks voucher? Breakfast is comp for Plats or in lieu of points?

Are there Uber cars around this hotel and will drive to the airport or we should all take the hotel shuttle only?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ZenWorld
Any updates on recent experience at this hotel?

Anything given for Plats in-lieu of missing lounge like drinks at bar during evening cocktail hours, or welcome drinks voucher? Breakfast is comp for Plats or in lieu of points?

Are there Uber cars around this hotel and will drive to the airport or we should all take the hotel shuttle only?
I've stayed there a bunch of times in the last months - and really like the hotel.
It has an own hotel shuttle service which runs frequently; otherwise just grab a cab outside.

No lounge; and bf is one of the benefits you can choose upon check-in (as plat). Plus, you get a discount for the restaurant (50%?)
Old Aug 11, 2015, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by Andie007

No lounge; and bf is one of the benefits you can choose upon check-in (as plat). Plus, you get a discount for the restaurant (50%?)
Andie,

I thought about the property the whole morning. AFAIR, no more free breakfast plus points for Plat members, but they still hand out a cert for a discount at their restaurant.

Simply an average Sheraton in Europe.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 3:30 am

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
FYI: The hotel will leave Starwood mid of 2016
Old Dec 12, 2015, 5:33 am

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Originally Posted by Andie007
FYI: The hotel will leave Starwood mid of 2016
Is it confirmed? That would be sad, sometimes I do the MR at the hotel to get the platinum... :-(
Old Dec 12, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
http://www.merkur.de/lokales/erding/...n-5953790.html
Old Jan 17, 2016, 1:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Staying here on Friday. Sad to read the property will close in the near future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.