Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points Cologne/CGN/Koln, Germany [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points Cologne/CGN/Koln, Germany [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2006, 3:00 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by BigBopper
Yev,
Consider yourself lucky if this is the worst *wood you've ever been to. I was there for a night in January and it's by far the nicest 4pts I've ever seen. Only downside was the crappy "local" gift.....a piece of chocolate shaped like the Dom.
I agree.

I have been very happy with my stays in this hotel. Have invariably got a suite on a high floor. The minibar has complementary beverages and breakfast is included on all rates (including awards) AFAIK.

The amenity choice card now also offers a bottle of wine instead of the chocolate.
Old May 23, 2006, 9:40 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Originally Posted by AJLondon
I agree.

I have been very happy with my stays in this hotel. Have invariably got a suite on a high floor. The minibar has complementary beverages and breakfast is included on all rates (including awards) AFAIK.

The amenity choice card now also offers a bottle of wine instead of the chocolate.
Exactly my thoughts. This hotel is one of my favourites and I usually get upgraded to one of those suites facing the train station. Yes, it is quite loud due to the construction site and especially the traffic and the announcements from the station speakers - and I like to have the windows open. And yes, the elevators are crap.

But the location, the suite availability (some with kitchen) and the breakfast are really great for a fourpoints. And the rates are good, too.
Old May 23, 2006, 2:42 pm
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Not only is this one of my favourites hotels and I am a very frequent guest there but normally the staff is friendly and helpful, especially as they are not happy with the construction work outside.But I agree, the WiFi signal is not the best, I have had several problems in the past, but the hotel staff solved it by changing rooms or telling the service.
Old May 23, 2006, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
My own experiences of this property have been good, but building work always has the potential to transform the experience for the worse. Thanks for the warning and let's hope the work doesn't last too long.

On the wifi point, the rates you quote, though a rip-off I agree, are pretty typical for Germany and indeed Europe as a whole. The only chain offering free wifi across their network in Europe is Radisson SAS at the moment - everyone else charges or gives away access on a property by property basis, and if they charge you can bargain on paying 15 Euro or more per day. By way of comparison, Hiltons I have been staying at in the UK recently wanted GBP15 (well over 20 Euro) for 24 hours. In Switzerland I have typically been charged 7-8 Euro per hour at 4 and 5 star hotels.

People on corporate accounts pay these rates or have a deal to avoid them (such as taking out a subscription with T Mobile, Vodafone, Swisscom or another big provider). Some corporate VPN systems like IPass can get you onto these networks as part of the subscription package.
Old May 24, 2006, 7:28 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
Just wanted to add that I am now much happier about the whole situation then I was when I originally posted the above message.

First, I didn't originally know about the free breakfast, and that certainly helped improve my mood the next morning (after getting woken up by trains at 6:30 ). More importantly however, the hotel upgraded me to the 1002 suite the next day. Although it didn't solve the noise or the WiFi problem - in fact, the suite was actually much noisier then the room due to more windows - it showed that the hotel staff at least cared and tried to fix the situation.

The hotel certainly has quite a bit going for it, including nice perks and great staff. They just need to
1) Drop T-mobile WiFi and get a half-decent vendor
2) Improve soundproofing in the rooms

Speaking of WI-FI, I intend to fight the t-mobile charges on my credit card. My laptop would get connected for 5 minutes, I would login to the t-mobile site, and then 5-10 minutes later I would always lose the connection, yet not be able to login . I just checked my t-mobile account and the .......s charged me $40 in roaming for that. I will be fighting every penny of that charge.

Last edited by yevlesh2; May 25, 2006 at 10:49 am
Old May 25, 2006, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Lots of Starwoods in Europe are dropping T-Mobile. The UK ones for sure, but I'm not sure about the German ones.
Old May 25, 2006, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
And there was me thinking I was alone in rating this as one of my favourite hotels in Germany - I haven't stayed there since I dropped from Platinum but always used to get upgraded to the suites facing the train station - something very soothing about going to sleep and waking up with train announcements in the background.

I can't think of a hotel in a better city location - 2 minutes to the train station, even less to the u-bahn, 5 minutes to my favourite bar where they keep bringing the beer until you tell them to stop and they sell sausage by the metre!

Typical rate we used to get was €70 per night (incl. breakfast). Lifts were a pain (and tiny from recollection) but the breakfast was great and though there were only 4 drinks in it, the free mini-bar in the suite was a nice touch - there is a little supermarket in the station opposite if you want to re-stock it yourself.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 10:35 am

Programs: SPG LTP
Mini-trip report - Highly positive throughout :

- Upgraded to x00 suite (2 room + dressing + kitchen)
- Bottle of wine amenity, reasonably good quality (bonus points not on the list)
- great value for money (80 EUR/night, with breakfast & standard mini-bar drinks included)

Trafic situation is indeed a bit messy due to the construction going on in front of the hotel, but that doesn't outweigh the positives
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

how do you walk from train station to Four Points?
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yeah, i guess you could check your luggage at the train station and then take the high speed to FRA and fly out of there. that would be more effective, if you have the choice.

thanks, good to know!
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
how do you walk from train station to Four Points?
Not sure if this is a trick question.. ..you come out of the station (on the non-Dom side), walk across the road and walk in the door.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OH. on the other side of the train station. i thought you meant on the other side of the Dom, when you said "on the other side" earlier. thats why i was confused how i missed it when i was there.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:51 am

Programs: UA, AA, US, PC,
I stayed there for four nights last May while in town for a tradeshow.

The price was good. The room was fine. I met some great people at the hotel bar.

Definitely try a bratwurst from the stand at the banhoff entrance across from the hotel, good stuff.

I will stay again at next years show.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:17 am

Programs: AmEx Platinum, BA Gold, TAP Gold, Sixt Platinum
One more thing to consider: At the moment there is a huge construction site in front of the Four Points. They are drilling a new subway tunnel there, so I guess it could be somewhat noisy during the day.

Regards,
Stefan
Old Nov 15, 2006, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Stefan0521
One more thing to consider: At the moment there is a huge construction site in front of the Four Points. They are drilling a new subway tunnel there, so I guess it could be somewhat noisy during the day.

Regards,
Stefan
I'm often staying at the 4P or at the Dom Hotel. As on most stays I recieve an upgrade to a suite (10th floor) that is directly facing the construction site I have to point out that I never was disturbed by any noise...
PM me for good SET codes for both hotels..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.