Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points Cologne/CGN/Koln, Germany [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points Cologne/CGN/Koln, Germany [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2004, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Originally Posted by FLYGVA
Shareholder is quite right; but also the higher brands like Renaissance or ArabellaSheraton in Munich or Davos use the mounted squeeze bottles of soap and shampoo too (so does Renaissance in some new opened hotels too). If I can, I collect the mini shampoos etc for use during sport etc., but it does not matter, if I have a mounted squeeze bottle, as I bring the most time my own shampoo with me.

My bathtube in Cologne was a little bit to short to take a bath .....
Good to know, when traveling in the coming months, I will take my own shampoo with me, perhaps my bathgel too, .
Would be a comfortable idea if the squeeze bottles would deliver high quality shampoo and bathgel, in separated bottles @:-) . Than I would not mind. I am not very fond of quality of the mixes of shampoo/bathgel/showergel, etc.
Old May 16, 2004, 10:44 am

Four Points Central Cologne

I recently had a meeting to attend in Bonn, and since I would be traveling to Cologne (Köln) and then to Bonn by train I thought I’d try the 4-Points Central in Cologne.

The Hotel is in a wonderfully easy-to-find location; as you come off of the trains into the Bahnhof (train station), you see signs (pointing to the left) to Breslauer Platz. As you exit the station following the signs, the hotel is right across the street.

Reception was very friendly and very efficient. I was soon on my way to my room on the 10th floor.

And what a room it was! As a Platinum I had been upgraded to what was an impressive suite for a 4-Points. It had a large sitting room (with a gift of a 250 gram - half-pound – jar of special honey), spacious bedroom, and huge bathroom (I’ve had hotel rooms – in Oslo Norway, for instance - smaller than that bathroom!) complete with exercise machine.

Dropped off my suitcase and headed for the lobby restaurant to get a Kölsch. Köln is to Kölsch as München is to lager beer. Gaffel was the brand they served. Great, but like their brethren across the Rhein in Düsseldorf, they seem to be enamored of using overgrown shot glasses instead of healthy Bavarian half-liter ones.

To have something for the Kölsch to wash down, I ordered Schweine geschnetzeltes “Zuricher Art” mit Spätzle und grünem Salat. Really good for a hotel restaurant. Really good for any restaurant, as far as that goes.

Next morning the (complimentary) breakfast was good sized, with reasonable variety. Well fortified, I went off to meet with the folks in Bonn.

OK, I’m impressed.
Old May 16, 2004, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I also stayed there once because all the Starwood and Marriott properties in Frankfurt were fully booked. I took LH's Airrail service to Koln and the 4points upgraded me to large suite with a kitchen on the 3rd floor.
Old May 17, 2004, 2:44 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Maybe you recognise the room :
Old May 17, 2004, 2:53 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Sounds like they routinely upgrade Platinum members to suites? In that case, I will easily pick this one over the Hyatt, which never upgraded me to a suite and had some other mishaps, and to the Hilton, which only has 2 suites, apparently.
Old May 17, 2004, 7:42 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Out of three stays there I have been upgraded to one of those suites two times... They are very friendly there and the breakfast buffet is really good for a FourPoints. I can only recommend this hotel!
Old May 19, 2004, 8:28 pm

Thumbs up Don't the outside appearances fool you...

Originally Posted by rbAA
I have passed on staying at this hotel my last 3 trips as I did not like the outside appearance. Instead, I stayed at the HR Cologne across the river. Next trip, I will definitely try it. Thank you for the stay report.

Ya, ya... solid hotel. Good value and convenient to the train station. No suite life upgrade for my stay; I think that I got one of those narrow rooms (w/ a river view) next to LH738's suite though. Those narrow rooms are not large, but comfortable and cozy.

Free minibar (soft drinks), and breakfast included in room rate are nice touches.

Much better experience here than the miserable Munich 4P.
Old May 21, 2004, 1:38 am

Programs: LANPass Black, TK*G, HHonors Gold
Talking

Gaffel was the brand they served. Great, but like their brethren across the Rhein in Düsseldorf, they seem to be enamored of using overgrown shot glasses instead of healthy Bavarian half-liter ones.
Hehehe, well don´t try to drink Kölsch out of a different glass - people would certainly stare at you . Those glasses are called "Kölsch-Stangen". Gaffel is quite ok, but there are much better brands.
I pass by the 4points in Cologne almost every day. I agree that the area is not that breathtaking, but the hotel seems to have a nice lobby and the breakfast always looks fine when I can catch a view through the windows.
Old May 21, 2004, 2:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
I remember receiving a gift during my stay there last yr. Thought it was chocolates, and put it in my backpack on my way to the airport. Little did I realize it was a swiss army knife Spent some time explaining to airport security...

IIRC, there is some really good currywurst and potato fritters near the train station...
Old Jun 5, 2004, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by LH738
Maybe you recognise the room :
That's the one!
Old Jun 5, 2004, 1:44 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Thumbs up even as a gold...

Even when I was (only) a Gold member, I got some very nice upgrades on very cheap (internet) rates - and good service. Can only recommend this hotel, and its location is good...
Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:34 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum HH Gold
Originally Posted by Counsellor
That's the one!

I just got Suite 1002 at the Four Points Cologne as well. This has to be the best use of 18000 points I have ever seen. Since I was using totally points, I didn't expect this type of upgrade.

Not a luxury collection property obviously, but clean, very comfortable, great balcony views, free mini bar (selected drinks), pleasant check-in and huge, excellently appointed bathroom. Amenity arrived three seconds after I got in the room, which was bottled water and chocolates.

Right next to the DOM and the Hbf for uber-convenience.

Its not the Dom hotel or Ernst, but I couldn't have been more pleased when I walked in.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 3:53 pm
In Memoriam: Original Member

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
I just stayed there last Friday night and was upgraded from a non smoking single to room 200 suite. Living room, bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and exercise bike. I even was given an amenity kit of Jaguar lotions, soap, and a washcloth. One note of caution, don't press the Pay TV button or you will be charged with 11,50Euros as they don't give you a short preview of the program. Also, if you have a car, there are 8 parking spaces available but I think you have to reserve one in advance.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 4:19 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by newself
I just stayed there last Friday night and was upgraded from a non smoking single to room 200 suite. Living room, bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and exercise bike. I even was given an amenity kit of Jaguar lotions, soap, and a washcloth. One note of caution, don't press the Pay TV button or you will be charged with 11,50Euros as they don't give you a short preview of the program. Also, if you have a car, there are 8 parking spaces available but I think you have to reserve one in advance.
Same exact experience as a platinum member here earlier this month. Upgraded from non-smoking single to room #200.

Four Points Central Cologne Pictures (Suite #200)

newself, was the Jaguar lotions, soap, and washcloth in addition to the chocolates and mineral water?
Old Nov 25, 2004, 2:01 pm
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

One note of caution, don't press the Pay TV button or you will be charged with 11,50Euros as they don't give you a short preview of the program. Also,
Strange, could you explain it or did you have to pay it; I think, they could see, that you just watched for a few seconds

if you have a car, there are 8 parking spaces available but I think you have to reserve one in advance.
The parking is really small and as I had some problems leaving it, I normally park (if it is dry weather) at the other side of the Rhine, near the Hyatt Hotel and walked over the bridge (app. 5-10 min). There, you only have to pay 6,00 EUR / day and could reach the motorways faster than from Cologne City. The last time I was there by car, you could not reserve a parking space in advance, it was on a first comes first get basis.

Originally Posted by usafan
Do all Four Points have such small kitchens?
No, and even in the FP Cologne only a few rooms / suites have a kitchen. The FP Düsseldorf,a dboth FP in Munich do not offer Kitchen (as far as I know), but you could get an appartment in the ArabellaSheraton Westpark with kitchen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.