Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[GONE] Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, Argentina [Master Thread] LEFT SPG 29 Sep 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE] Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, Argentina [Master Thread] LEFT SPG 29 Sep 2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2009, 4:12 pm

I and 2 friends fly into IGU from Sao Paulo Friday week at about 3pm and fly out from IGU back to Sao Paulo on Monday at 8pm. Have the 3 nights booked at the Sheraton. I have been to Iguazu once before about 20 years ago but my friends have not. I have a few logistical questions:

About how much should I expect to pay for a taxi from IGU to the Sheraton?

Are there taxis waiting at the Sheraton for trips to town in the evening? Cost? I'm afraid that using the hotel car service and knowing that someone is sitting outside the restaurant waiting for me would interfere with my digestion.

My plan was to spend Saturday and Sunday in the Argentinian park and then check-out from the Sheraton about 1pm Monday and have about 6 hours to cross the border, have some lunch, go to the bird park, explore the Brasilian side of the falls before getting to the airport at about 7pm. Is that a reasonable amount of time to devote to the Brasilian side? Any ideas on the cost of a taxi for 6 hours to do the Sheraton-Brasil Falls-Airport trip (accepting the fact that digestion of my lunch will be affected by having a taxi waiting )
Old Sep 22, 2009, 2:25 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold née Platinum; AA Plat.
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
I and 2 friends fly into IGU from Sao Paulo Friday week at about 3pm and fly out from IGU back to Sao Paulo on Monday at 8pm. Have the 3 nights booked at the Sheraton. I have been to Iguazu once before about 20 years ago but my friends have not. I have a few logistical questions:

About how much should I expect to pay for a taxi from IGU to the Sheraton?

Are there taxis waiting at the Sheraton for trips to town in the evening? Cost? I'm afraid that using the hotel car service and knowing that someone is sitting outside the restaurant waiting for me would interfere with my digestion.

My plan was to spend Saturday and Sunday in the Argentinian park and then check-out from the Sheraton about 1pm Monday and have about 6 hours to cross the border, have some lunch, go to the bird park, explore the Brasilian side of the falls before getting to the airport at about 7pm. Is that a reasonable amount of time to devote to the Brasilian side? Any ideas on the cost of a taxi for 6 hours to do the Sheraton-Brasil Falls-Airport trip (accepting the fact that digestion of my lunch will be affected by having a taxi waiting )
When we visited in Feb. 2009, the cost for a driver to meet us at IGU, take us to the falls on the Brazil side, wait for two hours, and then take us across the border to the Sheraton was $110 USD. Ultimately, we decided just to do a straight transfer from IGU to the Sheraton. I *think* the cost was more like $60 for that, but I don't remember at this point.

In terms of getting from the Sheraton into town, it seemed they kind of had us over a barrel. As I recall, the cost of hiring a hotel car (4 hr minimum) was roughly equivalent to calling for a taxi from town to come and pick you up at the hotel, take you into town, and then take you back to the hotel after your meal. In terms of your digestion, the four hour reservation window should alleviate some of your concerns about feeling rushed -- I mean, these aren't nine-course meals you're going to have in Igauzu, so you should be done in 1 - 2 hours.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, we really liked the Brazil side quite a bit more than the Argentine one. I would probably allocate more time to it than you currently have planned (e.g., leave the Sheraton right after breakfast).
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:59 am

I stayed 2 nights at the Sheraton Iguazu Falls last November, using points. Absolutely worth it. You are right there in the park, with restaurants, lounge and pool all overlooking the Falls. I was able to take an early morning walk into the Falls area with virtually no one else on the paths. This option is not available to those not staying at the Sheraton. I spent an afternoon on the Brazilian side (legally - visa cost me $130 as I recall). The hotel arranged for a taxi driver to take me, wait 3 hours while I explored the Brazilian side and then drive me back. My memory is that it was only about $30. btw - the hotel was unwilling to accept any US dollars which had the slightest crease or bit of writing on it, so be forewarned.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, UA Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
Stayed at the Sheraton Iguazu in August 2009.. here's a quick trip report:

My family and I flew into IGU from Curitiba (price of GOL flight from Rio to Iguazu nonstop was the same price as Rio->Curitiba and Curitiba->Iguazu), so added Curitiba to check the city out and stayed at the Four Points Curitiba.

Upon arrival at Iguazu around 1:30 PM, got a hatchback taxi to take us to Iguazu on the Brazilian side. Left the Falls around 4:30 / 5:00 PM to head across the border to the Sheraton. Think we spent around 3 hours exploring the Brazilian falls, which was just about right.

Cab took us to the Brazilian border where we got our passports stamped, then to the Argentine side, where we got the Argentinian stamps. Got to the Argentine Falls and the Sheraton, paid our entrance fee to the Argentine Falls, then pulled up to the Sheraton. The cab price was around 140 reals or $70, not including tip, so not a bad deal given we had the driver for about 4-5 hours. I forget how much we tipped, but I remember the base was 140 reals.

Although the Brazilian side was smaller than the Argentine side of the Falls, I did like the Brazilian side better. It was a great experience to walk the platform near the Devil's Throat on the Brazilian side. The Argentine side is more expansive with lots more to see and do, but I enjoyed the Brazilian side more. You do need to allocate more time to the Argentine side, so staying at the Sheraton is a plus, as you're able to spend most of the day exploring the Superior and Inferior path (Upper/Lower Trails), as well as take the free train to the Devil's Throat. We weren't able to take the boat to the island overlooking the falls due to the river level being too high.

Sheraton was pretty nice - got upgraded to 1 of the 4 suites. There was a living room and bedroom as well as a very large balcony from which to view the Falls. The gym was pretty decent - free weights (bench and dumbbells) as a few machines such as a lat pull down machine, leg extension and bicep curl. Other machines included the elliptical like machine, bike and few treadmills. Sauna and steam room were clean and well-maintained. Didn't try the outdoor pool, as it it was a little chilly.

All in all, it was a pleasant stay - the staff was really friendly and definitely wouldn't mind doing a return visit. Took a cab to IGR to head to Buenos Aires, and the cab fare was about 50-60 pesos (I can't recall now), so less than $20 but remember it was a lot cheaper than taking it from IGU. The hotel will call a cab to take you to the airport.

Last edited by HankAAFlyer; Oct 14, 2009 at 12:35 pm Reason: added timeframe of stay
Old Oct 14, 2009, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
You can rent a car at the Brazilian airport and drive it over to the Argentine side without any problems. You're supposed to buy Argentine insurance, called the 'carta verde', but nobody ever asks for it at the border. If you want it, it's about R$50 for three days and can be bought on the Brazilian side on the highway. Taxis at the Sheraton are just too expensive and troublesome -- it's far more economical and convenient to pick up a rental car. I used AVIS and found the people very helpful and friendly.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
Trip Report - Iguazu Sheraton

Me and the soon-to-be Mrs. BHF spent last Saturday night at the Sheraton Iguazu on my 2008 free weekend night. In a word (even without the scenery) - wow!

When we checked in I was told that we were upgraded and I just about gave it my usual ho-hum reaction, since I almost always get a decent room at *Wood properties, but this was amazing. We were put in Suite "D" (Room 158) which is one of the four similarly-sized largest rooms in the hotel.

On the first floor, it consists of a dressing room, living room, bedroom, and bathroom. Slightly larger than anything I lived in until I was over 30. Of course, it has a great view of the falls, but also has a patio that's bigger than my garage.

Service was great all around - the room was perfectly made up and there was plenty of everything (soap, towels, etc. - see my report on the BA Hilton).

We had dinner in the restaurant - which was entertaining as the power was going out every few minutes. It stayed out after our dinners had been served (I was actually having the cheap and fantastic buffet) and the staff really handled it in style. They brought out every candle they could find and lined the buffet area.

Fortunately, the power came on just as we headed for bed - and just as fortunately, it went out a few more times in the middle of the night, keeping the disco from ramping up below our room.

We had to sleep with the sliding doors open (screen doors) since the hotel has central A/C and it was not coming back up immediately after power outages.

We had breakfast in the restaurant (which is a free breakfast tip for people not staying in the hotel - they never asked, even though we came in about 9:45, hot and sweaty after hiking the Sendero Macuco). As brekafasts go, it was pretty darned good and the variety was quite impressive.

Of course, we got a late checkout and were able to enjoy a shower and relax a bit before getting on the plane back to BA in the late afternoon.

Of course, I can't say enough about the falls - no visit to Argentina would be complete without a visit. This is one place to use your points and not stint.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
I'm going there for 3 nights in Janaury 2010 and had a few questions about this property:
1) How is the pool? I know you're going for the falls, but I have a five year old so we'll want some pool time
2) speaking of that, can you/is it advisable to swim in the river?
3) we are flying into IGR. How much should the cab from the airport cost? And then it sounds like it is a reasonable strategy to engage that cab the entire time we're there - to go to Brazil side (withouth visa) and into town?
4) The breakfast buffet reviews seem to improve over time. Is it anyone's sense that it's gotten better, or is it just hit or miss?
5) Is there a lower age limit for the boat ride into the falls?
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:03 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by TimMeineke
I'm going there for 3 nights in Janaury 2010 and had a few questions about this property:
1) How is the pool? I know you're going for the falls, but I have a five year old so we'll want some pool time
2) speaking of that, can you/is it advisable to swim in the river?
3) we are flying into IGR. How much should the cab from the airport cost? And then it sounds like it is a reasonable strategy to engage that cab the entire time we're there - to go to Brazil side (withouth visa) and into town?
4) The breakfast buffet reviews seem to improve over time. Is it anyone's sense that it's gotten better, or is it just hit or miss?
5) Is there a lower age limit for the boat ride into the falls?
1) Pool is decent- circular shape with view of the falls. Plenty good for a 5 year old.
2) No- if you want to get wet in the river, you should take the Zodiac boat ride into the falls
3) It is pretty inexpensive- $15ish?
4) Its decent and free (even on C+P rate)
5) I think a 5 year old should be fine..they didn't seem too strict
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:08 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Has anyone had laundry done here? I'm going to be on the road for 16 days and Iguazu is in the middle of my trip...
Old Feb 16, 2010, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
I'm at the Sheraton Iguazu now. A taxi from the airport on the Brazilian side to the Sheraton is a fixed R$100 (about US$55). There are public bus options, but doing so requires taking three buses and the buses stop running at 7 p.m.. The hotel didn't have any suites available, but I was upgraded to a Falls view room on a C&P booking. According to the front desk, both Internet and Breakfast are free for Platinums, even on award bookings. The room is in poor condition, particularly for a Cat 5, with large water stains and peeling paint on the ceiling. It also may be the only Starwood property I've been in with no desk (though there's a tall glass table that you could sit at with one of the wicker lounge chairs in the room). You're really paying for the location. Dinner in the hotel restaurant was mediocre at best. The hotel gym closes at 10 p.m. (and the pool at 9 p.m.), so I wasn't able to make use of it.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 9:42 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by merrickdb
According to the front desk, both Internet and Breakfast are free for Platinums, even on award bookings.
The internet part is new. We were charged for internet when we stayed last April on points.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 9:50 am

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wizzy
The internet part is new. We were charged for internet when we stayed last April on points.
I was advised a charge would appear on my bill and I should mention it at check-out to have it removed. I'll note that neither the free Internet for Platinums nor the free breakfast was voluntarily disclosed; I'd read comments suggesting free Internet and breakfast on here and casually asked the agent if they were free for Platinums, to which he quickly replied in the affirmative. Another point to contradict prior posts, when I asked the desk agent when the park opened, he was quick to say--repeatedly--that Sheraton guests don't get access to the park any earlier than anyone else. The park, according to the agent, is open to all from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m..
Old Feb 17, 2010, 2:54 pm

Programs: AC*E, SPG Platinum/Ambassador, Marriott Platinum
Stayed at the Sheraton Iguazu in December 2009. I'd suggest choosing the bottle of wine option as your Platinum gift. Not only did they bring the bottle (which in itself wasn't fantastic), they also brought a cheese and meat plate with a basket of bread along with a separate fancy dessert plate. Very impressive.

For reference, I was upgraded to one of their suite rooms (C) which was quite stunning for its view (though the outdoor terrace/balcony's black slate floor gets very hot during the daytime).
Old May 11, 2010, 8:01 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Some notes from our current stay:

1) The staff is indeed awesome as others have noted. Although a suite wasn't available for the first night of our 3 night stay it was for the other 2. The check in person volunteered to have us moved the next morning (it might have helped that we were staying on two reservations...the first a revenue one for the first night and the second a C&P for the remaining two).

2) The website mentions limited airport transportation. Bizarrely all this means they will reserve a taxi for you at the airport - where there are no shortages of drivers and taxis. The fare is standardized at 70 pesos (for sheraton booked or not, and for taxi or remisa).

3) You have to pay 85 pesos per person for your first entry to the park. After that your room key serves as a park pass.

4) The people of Iguazu enjoy making folks from the US feel at home by charging US prices for food and drink. You may want to pack a few liters of water rather than purchase it locally (25 pesos per liter at the hotel bar and similar price at the fast food place nearest the sheraton - the stands by the train stations (for the park train) are a bit cheaper).

5) Weirdly, they charged my credit card for the three days upon check in. I didn't realize that this was going on and they had to reverse it when I mentioned I would be settling in cash. It turns out that the peso cash price was about 5-10% cheaper en the credit card peso price and I received a nonsensical explanation about paying on a credit card would involve paying in dollars rather than pesos and therefore it cost more due to the exchange rate...but again this makes no sense as the amount charged to my amex was going to be in pesos (and of course I would then have to pay amex an exchange fee on top of that). Gah! This BS is why I settle foreign hotel bills in cash.

Last edited by VPescado; May 11, 2010 at 8:16 am
Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:05 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Does anyone have the email address for the GM (Gabriel Roussel) of this property?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.