Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[GONE] Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, Argentina [Master Thread] LEFT SPG 29 Sep 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE] Sheraton Iguazu Resort & Spa, Argentina [Master Thread] LEFT SPG 29 Sep 2017

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2009, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Just wanted to say that this hotel is great. We were there last week for 2 nights and the falls view is just fantastic. While you see the falls a lot while you're there, be it at meals, in the lobby, etc., it really is something to wake up at sunrise and see the falls from bed. We got some great pics from the balcony.

Also, we thought the dinner buffet was actually fairly decent. Overpriced for what you get, but the food wasn't horrible.

The breakfast was disappointing. I had some bread that was moldy, stale cereal, etc.

Lunches were pretty good. The sandwich de lomo and chicken sandwich were our favorites. The penne pasta with bacon is also yummy.

I highly recommend getting out of the hotel one night and going into town. For 120 pesos the hotel will drive you out there and stay in town while you eat. Our driver literally just waited for us outside as we dined. It was really great service. We were going to try Aqva but they had a 1.5 hour wait. We walked down the street to La Rueda and had a great time. One of the owners came over to help us understand the specials and what she recommends. Really a great meal and not too expensive. ^

2 days is definitely enough. We did everything, including the Gran Aventura, upper and lower circuit multiple times, san martin island (some of the best views are from there, IMHO), train to the big fall, etc. etc., with plenty of time for the pool and gym/spa.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 9:32 am

Programs: Starwood Gold née Platinum; AA Plat.
Belated review

I should have written this review a month ago while the stay was fresh in my mind, but oh well. We stayed for two nights in February. The weather was quite humid, and it rained, off and on, for two of our three days. However, there was lots of sunshine, so that shouldn't stop you from going. The hotel has a great location in terms of the Argentina side, and doing the various circuits from that side took only two half days, although we ran out of time to visit the island in the middle (forgot the name). However, I was suprised that we actually enjoyed the Brazil side much more. The panoramic view from that side really is very special, and was the one we preferred. We also enjoyed the various activities from that side (e.g., bird park, boat into the falls, etc.). In addition, the restaurant at the end of the Brazilian side, where we had lunch, is surprisingly good.

In terms of the *wood hotel itself, the gym is excellent, with a very odd pool/spa set up (you basically can rent the pool for up to an hour and play with the spa jets while random people watch). Odd. We didn't particularly love the food, but it was decent. Getting into town is a bit of a chore, though, since you have to rent the hotel car for four hours. As someone else said, if you do that, you have them wait with you during dinner and then take you back to the hotel. All in all, the hotel was fine, but next time, I'd probably try to stay on the Brazil side (assuming I could find decent accomodations).

Edited to add: My wife is Platinum and we didn't get an upgrade, just the garden view room we'd booked with cash and points.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 5:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Just wanted to say that this hotel is great. We were there last week for 2 nights and the falls view is just fantastic. While you see the falls a lot while you're there, be it at meals, in the lobby, etc., it really is something to wake up at sunrise and see the falls from bed. We got some great pics from the balcony.

Also, we thought the dinner buffet was actually fairly decent. Overpriced for what you get, but the food wasn't horrible.

The breakfast was disappointing. I had some bread that was moldy, stale cereal, etc.

Lunches were pretty good. The sandwich de lomo and chicken sandwich were our favorites. The penne pasta with bacon is also yummy.

I highly recommend getting out of the hotel one night and going into town. For 120 pesos the hotel will drive you out there and stay in town while you eat. Our driver literally just waited for us outside as we dined. It was really great service. We were going to try Aqva but they had a 1.5 hour wait. We walked down the street to La Rueda and had a great time. One of the owners came over to help us understand the specials and what she recommends. Really a great meal and not too expensive. ^

2 days is definitely enough. We did everything, including the Gran Aventura, upper and lower circuit multiple times, san martin island (some of the best views are from there, IMHO), train to the big fall, etc. etc., with plenty of time for the pool and gym/spa.
Echo pretty much the magician has added except I liked the quality for buffet breakfast and stayed at the hotel without travelling for out for dinner.

FWIW I enjoyed my 2 night stay there last week and can't imagine staying elsewhere. Yes, the hotel charges a premium for what really isn't a premium hotel but it's all about the location. I found the customer service to be above average as was my overall experience and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again should I ever get back to the falls which were one of the hifglights of my Argentina trip. ^
Old Jul 1, 2009, 11:12 pm

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
Originally Posted by bpauker
The falls were beautiful as always, and being able to get out to Garganta del Diablo before the crowds got out there was a real treat.
That says it all. I was on a budget, but having the park, in some places literally, to myself both before and after the crowds was worth every peso spent.

We hooked up with a taxi driver whose English was passable who became our "private chauffeur" for two days. I can't remember what we paid him, but it wasn't much at all. He took us across into Brazil (without visas) and drove us into town for dinner one night, waiting while we ate. I really do have to watch expenses when I travel, and the deal we struck seemed to make both sides very happy. The guided tour of Puerto Iguasu just iced the cake.

I thought the food at the hotel was fine but not nearly as good as the dinner we had in town for a fraction of the price.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 12:59 am
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
Originally Posted by sushibear
That says it all. I was on a budget, but having the park, in some places literally, to myself both before and after the crowds was worth every peso spent.

We hooked up with a taxi driver whose English was passable who became our "private chauffeur" for two days. I can't remember what we paid him, but it wasn't much at all. He took us across into Brazil (without visas) and drove us into town for dinner one night, waiting while we ate. I really do have to watch expenses when I travel, and the deal we struck seemed to make both sides very happy. The guided tour of Puerto Iguasu just iced the cake.

I thought the food at the hotel was fine but not nearly as good as the dinner we had in town for a fraction of the price.
You did not have visa into Brazil?
How do you cross the boarder and immigration?
If it is one day stay, do they not require the visa for USA citizen?

Thanks
Old Jul 2, 2009, 6:25 am
Suspended

You don't need a Visa. The cabbies will quote you two prices -- one price if you have the Visa, one price if you don't. The extra money goes to the cabbie and as a tip to the Brazil Immigration officials. They will make a stop at a different place at the border crossing, cabbie runs in, gets a stamp for god knows what (not on your passport -- though they need that) and boom you're in.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I'm trying to figure out where to stay when my brother and I visit Iguazu Falls at the end of November. We're flying from AEP-IGR, arriving at 11 a.m. (the earliest possible arrival), and departing IGU-GIG the next morning at 9:25 a.m. I know, I know, one day isn't enough, but it will have to do.

The Sheraton is pretty pricey ($300ish), but I understand why. I still am struggling with some logistics of our visit. First, I understand the Argentinian park closes at 6 p.m., which should be well before sunset. By virtue of staying at the Sheraton inside the park, will we be able to explore the falls after the park closes?

Second, how much time will we need to allocate to cross the border and take a taxi to IGU for a 9:25 a.m. flight to Rio if we stay at the Sheraton? Given that we have a morning flight out of IGU, would we be better served by spending the night on the Brazilian side to avoid getting up at the crack of dawn?

Finally, are there any tricks to getting a better rate than what's available on the hotel website?
Old Aug 6, 2009, 10:43 am

Programs: UA and BA
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
First, I understand the Argentinian park closes at 6 p.m., which should be well before sunset. By virtue of staying at the Sheraton inside the park, will we be able to explore the falls after the park closes?
No, believe it or not you won't. Mr. SEA2BA and I arrived on a much later flight such that we got to the hotel, checked in, dropped our bags, and walked over to the path/walkways to start exploring, even though it was a few minutes before 6 (and broad daylight). Sure enough within 5 minutes a park ranger came walking along the path herding folks out (nicely, but still).

We were surprised as we had the same belief you did. Still, if you're getting in at 11 you should be able to see plenty before they kick you out at 6.

Great location but I agree with the hotel reviews. As a Platinum I also did not get an upgrade, just a view of the parking lot. The first day we bought in to the inertia that most other lodgers seemed to have and stayed at the hotel to eat, thinking it was a big effort to go to town. Buffet was mediocre: service/food/atmosphere you could find in any hotel chain in the U.S. The following night we got a cab to take us into town where are there are tons of great shops, restaurants, cafes, ice cream shops, etc. Very, very, well worth the effort and we did that each night thereafter.

Enjoy!
SEA2BA
Old Aug 6, 2009, 10:53 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Even though you're staying at the Sheraton, you won't be able to go back through the park after it closes. I guess there is one trail you could sneak on and go through, but there are park workers around and I doubt you'd get very far. The other trails (like the one to the Garganta) are most easily accessed by a park train.

Crossing the border and getting to the Brazilian airport will probably take about 45 min to an hour from the Sheraton by cab. The hotel will be able to tell you for sure.

You may already know this, but if I remember right, from IGR to the Sheraton is probably a 30-45 min cab ride. So you'll probably have, at most, 6 hours to see the park.

As far as where to stay, we loved staying at the Sheraton, but one of the primary reasons was to be able to be the first people in the park. Unless you can get a later flight to Rio (which I would recommend so you can see the park in the morning), you won't have a chance to have the park to yourselves.

Regardless of where you stay, since you have such limited time to see everything, I would go straight from the airport to the Argentinian side of the park, find somewhere to store your bags, then try to see as much as you can before close. Other than the trail to the Garganta, we really enjoyed the Lower Trail for the views. After close, heading to the Brazilian side to stay would certainly shorten your commute the next morning. That said, being able to sit on our balcony (we got one of the 4 suites as a Plat) and see the Falls in the evening and again for sunrise was a really great, peaceful experience-one that I'll remember for a long time.

No matter what you decide to do, Iguazu is definitely worth going to. We were there during the dry season, spent 3 days there, and still just loved it.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Thank you for the helpful information and advice, SEA2BA and berettajeff. I guess the only opportunity to see the park after hours and extend one's time to experience it on an otherwise short trip would be to take advantage of the Full Moon Walk, but, unfortunately, it looks like we're going to miss it by two days.

Last edited by SAT Lawyer; Aug 6, 2009 at 11:05 am
Old Aug 6, 2009, 11:09 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Thank you for the helpful information and advice, SEA2BA and berettajeff. I guess the only opportunity to see the park after hours and extend one's time to experience it on an otherwise short trip would be to take advantage of the Full Moon Walk, but, unfortunately, it looks like we're going to miss it by two days.
The hotel lists "moonlit trekking" among its recreational activities. Not sure if that is dependent upon a totally full moon or whether they do this also with a waning/waxing moon, but you could send them an email to inquire directly.

[email protected]

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Aug 6, 2009, 11:21 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium , National Car Emerald Club Exec Elite, AC 50K Elite
.....Finally, are there any tricks to getting a better rate than what's available on the hotel website?
Try using a 50% off certificate or using your points to obtain a 50% off rate.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 11:43 am

In 2007 when I was there, I asked at the front desk for the key card to the roof terrace, an unattractive cement balcony above the last floor of guest rooms, with a few flying insects and a wonderful wonderful view. If you stay at the Sheraton, you might try that in the early morning or evening.

(I had an award room looking out to the parking lot.)

(I may have even read about the key card here on Flyer Talk. I searched for a while and don't find the thread.)

Sylvia
Old Aug 6, 2009, 11:59 am

Programs: UA and BA
Oh and by the way, I realize you didn't specifically ask but OMG you MUST do the boat ride under the falls. Yes it seems touristy/corny but it was in-say-ane! We screamed with delight.

Make sure to wear soakable clothing.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 3:22 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
The hotel lists "moonlit trekking" among its recreational activities. Not sure if that is dependent upon a totally full moon or whether they do this also with a waning/waxing moon, but you could send them an email to inquire directly.

[email protected]

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Not only is it dependent on a full moon, William, but it is also dependent on a clear sky.

When I was there, the sky was cloudy but one could still see the moon and it was bright enough but, alas, the Full Moon Walk was canceled anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.