Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Starwood Corporate : exploring options to boost value inc acquiring or being acquired

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood Corporate : exploring options to boost value inc acquiring or being acquired

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2015, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Drury is VERY good IMHO. Stayed there a couple of times and it is definitely not a Motel 6. More like a Hilton Garden Inn/Hampton Inn or Marriott Courtyard.

https://www.druryhotels.com/PropertyList.aspx
Drury is a very closely held private family company and Christian IIRC - most likely not in play at any time in the foreseeable future.
Old May 2, 2015, 8:37 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Drury is a very closely held private family company and Christian IIRC - most likely not in play at any time in the foreseeable future.
And the "Christian" reference is relevant because? Kind of like saying Marriott is a Mormon hotel chain.
Old May 2, 2015, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abk
And the "Christian" reference is relevant because? Kind of like saying Marriott is a Mormon hotel chain.
And your defensiveness is relevant because? I noted it only because I see some analogies to Chick-Fil-A, In-N-Out, etc.; companies that are founded on private family religious values are generally outside the realm of traditional M&A. <shrugs>
Old May 2, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
RA is superb though and the core reason why I push so many stays to IHG a new influx of IC's from conversions of the better Starwoods would be really superb.

What is interesting though about any sale if hotel chains is just what is being bought. Isn't it essentially a huge goodwill write off with a stream of management income?
Wouldn't the 'better' solution for IHG to be to acquire a bunch of high end hotels and flag them IHG? But high end hotels are NOT where the money's at for hotel management in the current economic environment - it's the low end hotels that are most desirable for profitability.

And your defensiveness is relevant because? I noted it only because I see some analogies to Chick-Fil-A, In-N-Out, etc.; companies that are founded on private family religious values are generally outside the realm of traditional M&A. <shrugs>
I figured you were talking about Drury from a traditional M&A angle. Some private companies simply don't want to be acquired.
Old May 2, 2015, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
I figured you were talking about Drury from a traditional M&A angle. Some private companies simply don't want to be acquired.
Thanks. Onward to more speculation...

IHG and Starwood as a mashup has a lot of potential. IHG gains St. Regis, which could go into the RA program and the St. Regis brand might have sufficient cachet that you'd rebrand the Intercontinentals to St. Regis.

Meanwhile, Starwood would gain the niche in the US that they've been behind in for so long: A midprice chain with outstanding market penetration, Holiday Inn Express.

While Marriott, Hilton and Starwood have been birthing brands like the Duggars in recent years, the issue recently has been the inability to get the brands stood up with enough units so that travelers would have enough options. I think TownePlace Suites is the last major startup brand to have achieved reasonable market penetration in the US - and that brand started almost 20 years ago. Aloft, Indigo, Element, W, Andaz, Snarky (OK, I made that last one up but I guarantee you someone's got a TM request on that name)...all of these "lifestyle" brands are cutesy or quirky or Millennial-friendly in some way; the problem is there are only 25 of any one of them to choose from worldwide.

Hyatt realized this when they wanted to get into the midprice brand hunt and their answer was to buy AmeriSuites and rebrand them as Hyatt Place. Poof! Instant 200-unit market penetration in the US.

A merger of IHG and Starwood might stop some of the fragmented lifestyle-brand madness and allow 2 or 3 brands to come together as a single voice in various segments. Starwood + Hyatt might accomplish some of this too, to a lesser extent.
Old May 2, 2015, 11:11 am

Since SPG doesn't own hotels, how can SPG incentivize people to build more Four Points? It seems SPG needs a couple hundred of these to compete in low end space.

Thanks. Onward to more speculation...

IHG and Starwood as a mashup has a lot of potential. IHG gains St. Regis, which could go into the RA program and the St. Regis brand might have sufficient cachet that you'd rebrand the Intercontinentals to St. Regis.

Meanwhile, Starwood would gain the niche in the US that they've been behind in for so long: A midprice chain with outstanding market penetration, Holiday Inn Express.

While Marriott, Hilton and Starwood have been birthing brands like the Duggars in recent years, the issue recently has been the inability to get the brands stood up with enough units so that travelers would have enough options. I think TownePlace Suites is the last major startup brand to have achieved reasonable market penetration in the US - and that brand started almost 20 years ago. Aloft, Indigo, Element, W, Andaz, Snarky (OK, I made that last one up but I guarantee you someone's got a TM request on that name)...all of these "lifestyle" brands are cutesy or quirky or Millennial-friendly in some way; the problem is there are only 25 of any one of them to choose from worldwide.

Hyatt realized this when they wanted to get into the midprice brand hunt and their answer was to buy AmeriSuites and rebrand them as Hyatt Place. Poof! Instant 200-unit market penetration in the US.

A merger of IHG and Starwood might stop some of the fragmented lifestyle-brand madness and allow 2 or 3 brands to come together as a single voice in various segments. Starwood + Hyatt might accomplish some of this too, to a lesser extent.
Old May 2, 2015, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by factory81
Since SPG doesn't own hotels, how can SPG incentivize people to build more Four Points? It seems SPG needs a couple hundred of these to compete in low end space.
Isn't that the problem? People choose other brands to develop instead of 4P for a reason. I assume because the Starwood on costs to the owners are too high and thus not competitive.
Old May 2, 2015, 12:20 pm

Well someone else in the thread mentioned that the last successful hotel brand to be built in USA was TownPlace Suites, which they also claim took 20 years.

I guess I wonder if there is a need for more hotels, or is there just an infinite demand for more hotels in key metro cities?

Element hotels are getting a pretty big expansion. Couple dozen hotels over a few year period. It seems Starwood is pretty serious about this brand. I just checked the Four Points brand hotel directory, and I would actually say that it seems that Starwood is doing a bit of growing (Dare I say). Between Aloft/Four Points/Element - by 2018 (haha), I will actually have a few to pick from. Like they are actually building them in "good locations" too. As in not NYC, Chicago, or Miami.

Places like Spartanburg, Fargo, All over Texas, and all over Canada, Ohio, Arkansas, In other words, it looks like organic growth in cities that SPG has no presence or little presence in. Still, we need another couple hundred Element/Four Points.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/fourpo...ortType=region
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/fourpo...ortType=region

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Isn't that the problem? People choose other brands to develop instead of 4P for a reason. I assume because the Starwood on costs to the owners are too high and thus not competitive.

Last edited by factory81; May 2, 2015 at 12:26 pm
Old May 2, 2015, 7:04 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
IMO if ihg acquire spg it make a brand damage for spg W StR. Lux
But if spg acquire ihg it make a brand improve for another ihg low-end brand
Every one known ihg is poor customer service center and brg
but spg is best in csc and brg like heaven and hell.
Maybe it will end up as a parter like Ceasar ?
Old May 3, 2015, 5:23 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star

I'm not enthused about an IHG/SPG merge. While it's not a bad merge with respect to high end/low end mixtures, I'd hate to see IHG's loyalty program have any influence on the combined entity.

From my experiences, StR is higher end than Intercontinentals.

Holiday Inn Express would be a welcome addition; I'd stay there over Aloft/Element (not an Aloft/Element fan; reminds more of college dorms).

SPG owns some properties. That's one of the complaints against them; shareholders would prefer pure hotel management companies. More profit in simply managing hotels than owning them.
https://starwood.q4web.com/files/doc...List-Final.pdf
Old May 3, 2015, 7:53 am

Have you personally stayed in a Element? I actually stayed in one for several weeks and enjoyed it. Kitchen + modern + more functional than a Aloft.

It was basically like a more appealing Four Points (to me), that was supposedly environmentally friendly.

I personally don't want SPG to really monkey with anything per se. I want SPG to focus on whatever it takes to incentivize people to open SPG properties.

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
I'm not enthused about an IHG/SPG merge. While it's not a bad merge with respect to high end/low end mixtures, I'd hate to see IHG's loyalty program have any influence on the combined entity.

From my experiences, StR is higher end than Intercontinentals.

Holiday Inn Express would be a welcome addition; I'd stay there over Aloft/Element (not an Aloft/Element fan; reminds more of college dorms).

SPG owns some properties. That's one of the complaints against them; shareholders would prefer pure hotel management companies. More profit in simply managing hotels than owning them.
https://starwood.q4web.com/files/doc...List-Final.pdf
Old May 3, 2015, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Have you personally stayed in a Element? I actually stayed in one for several weeks and enjoyed it. Kitchen + modern + more functional than a Aloft.
Agreed - there's just not nearly enough of them, but it seems like they're finally starting to grow the brand ^
Old May 3, 2015, 11:53 am

It was basically like a more appealing Four Points (to me), that was supposedly environmentally friendly.

I personally don't want SPG to really monkey with anything per se. I want SPG to focus on whatever it takes to incentivize people to open SPG properties.
Yes, both Denver and NYC Element properties.
Element reminds me of Aloft with a kitchenette. College dorm style rooms.

I prefer most Four Points over Element, although some Four Points are better than others. But we all have our preferences.
Old May 3, 2015, 12:20 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
IHG and Starwood as a mashup has a lot of potential.
I agree!

IHG gains St. Regis, which could go into the RA program and the St. Regis brand might have sufficient cachet that you'd rebrand the Intercontinentals to St. Regis.
Disagree. IC hotels, with a few exceptions, are more midscale (with some upscale) properties. Only a very few upscale IC hotels (HKG, for example) could ever be considered for the StR brand. IC is too well known and expansive a brand--both here in the USA and internationally--for any merged IHG-Starwood to ignore or change. IC would remain its own brand in any IHG-SPG mashup.

There is no question that Holiday Inn/Holiday Inn Express would be a good budget/midscale expansion for SPG (as would Staybridge/Candlewood). However, the problem (and reason for their underperformance as part of IHG) is their inconsistency across the brand (in the same way that Sheraton is a brand consistency problem with SPG).

The IHG-SPG mashup would need to either enforce new brand standards across all Holiday Inns...or convert them or some of them into the SPG Four Points brand (and perhaps some into the Element/Aloft brands). Holiday Inn could become a new SPG brand, but if Starwood were the controlling interest in any IHG-SPG mashup, I find it more likely that Holiday Inns would be rebranded (after renovation and imposition of better brand standards) into Four Points, Aloft, Element as appropriate. Holiday Inn's brand isn't one I'm sure that anyone on WS would think is worth preserving, though I could be wrong. Certainly, Holiday Inn could be preserved as the 13th brand in SPG, while a number of them were converted eventually into the other lower tier SPG brands already mentioned.

If you hadn't noticed, most IHG Indigo properties listed are STILL Holiday Inns! IHG hadn't done much with Indigo or Even yet. SPG hadn't done much with Aloft/Element, but that partly was because of the Great Recession which significantly delayed the expansions of those brands.

W has increased substantially around the world--but not in the USA. Yet the upscale lifestyle segment isn't the sector that is showing the most growth domestically or worldwide. IHG's Kimpton would be better than W in market penetration in the USA, and in the more midscale/upscale lifestyle segment, while W would be better in the international market nowadays. There is no question that Kimpton would remain its own brand within SPG if SPG were to be the controlling program.

Which is why the Starwood acquisition of IHG's Holiday Inns/Candlewood/Staybridge properties and rebranding them into Four Points, Aloft, and Element would give SPG an immediately enormous market penetration in the USA (where there currently is more growth) and abroad (where everyone knows future growth will occur over time).

I'd love to see Hyatt and Starwood merge, but the economics from an investor standpoint don't seem to resolve the issues confronting Starwood now. Hyatt just isn't big enough to get the job done, unless investors see really good investment growth potential in the acquisition of much smaller (but more expensive) Hyatt. IHG is a cheaper and more expansive target for acquisition for Starwood than is Hyatt--especially for increased market penetration. Hyatt doesn't come close to IHG in the budget/midscale sector, both domestically and abroad.
Old May 3, 2015, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Europe isn't where the money is, unfortunately--
Source? It seems to be hotel chains are minting gold in Europe, just looking at the high nightly rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.