Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Starwood Corporate : exploring options to boost value inc acquiring or being acquired

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood Corporate : exploring options to boost value inc acquiring or being acquired

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2015, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Sorry, what I meant was that politicians get involved when there is a Chinese takeover of a US institution. There is precedent for this and they have effectively blocked such takeovers in the past for reasons of "national security". I don't know if they could come up with that story in this case though.

And I'll bet this consideration is being or has been debated in the Chinese government as they decide whether or not to approve a bidder.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 5:58 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by stimpy
Sorry, what I meant was that politicians get involved when there is a Chinese takeover of a US institution. There is precedent for this and they have effectively blocked such takeovers in the past for reasons of "national security". I don't know if they could come up with that story in this case though.

And I'll bet this consideration is being or has been debated in the Chinese government as they decide whether or not to approve a bidder.
The PRC has already cleared at least two Chinese parties to have capital control passes so as to move in on this deal, if they remain interested.

When it comes to the DOJ and DOD, the "national security" argument works for things like technology, telecom, infrastructure, and various other industries (and even airlines); but it will flop when it comes to hotels. I can't see any reasonable person in a position of senior responsibility at DOJ or DOD being willing to try to stop this on "national security" grounds. It just wouldn't fly and would make the person seem like an unreasonable shill when it comes to playing within the bureaucracy. Being a big time public jingoistic public blow-hard on "national security grounds" is more characteristic of people on the Hill than at the Pentagon or DOJ.

I don't see this deal being shot down by the Administration nor by the PRC. It'll come down to the money.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The PRC has already cleared at least two Chinese parties to have capital control passes so as to move in on this deal, if they remain interested.

When it comes to the DOJ and DOD, the "national security" argument works for things like technology, telecom, infrastructure, and various other industries (and even airlines); but it will flop when it comes to hotels. I can't see any reasonable person in a position of senior responsibility at DOJ or DOD being willing to try to stop this on "national security" grounds. It just wouldn't fly and would make the person seem like an unreasonable shill when it comes to playing within the bureaucracy. Being a big time public jingoistic public blow-hard on "national security grounds" is more characteristic of people on the Hill than at the Pentagon or DOJ.

I don't see this deal being shot down by the Administration nor by the PRC. It'll come down to the money.
When I said politicians what I meant was Congress. No I don't think the Administration would get involved in a major way. But Congress has no qualms about acting stupid and then there is a Presidential race going on where all sorts of crazy notions get proposed.

The only angle the administration might have is if the US Govt has contracts with Starwood, perhaps those could get reviewed. But that wouldn't be enough to block a deal. It would just mean more government revenue for Hyatt and Marriott, etc.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
I guess I'm happy that I hedged with Hilton this year.

Is this merger going to drive significant beds out of the system (i.e., close either Four Points or Hyatt Regency Perth; Park Hyatt or Westin Melbourne, etc.?) Not much revenue synergy - so is it then cost?
Old Nov 2, 2015, 8:30 am
JK
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Faber back on CNBC with a brief update:

• Any potential Hyatt (H), Starwood Hotels (HOT) deal is at least a week away
• If a deal happens, "don't expect a large premium," says Faber
Old Nov 2, 2015, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
That is, not a large premium over the 15% that HOT shot up last week already.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by YYCOllie
I guess I'm happy that I hedged with Hilton this year.

Is this merger going to drive significant beds out of the system (i.e., close either Four Points or Hyatt Regency Perth; Park Hyatt or Westin Melbourne, etc.?) Not much revenue synergy - so is it then cost?
M&A activity in the hotel business is focused on expanding market share in a fragmented market, so there is a great focus on keeping beds in the system, not "driving them out." Hence the propensity for major hotel companies these days to create 12, 15, 27 brands so that all four corners of the same intersection can be different brands of the same company.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 5:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Even if a Chinese party gets involved in acquisition efforts of Hyatt and/or Starwood, it's unlikely that the US DOJ will be able to defeat it on antitrust grounds.
The other problem with blocking Chinese involvement is, in a nutshell, when the Chinese earn U.S. dollars by making iPhones, we need a darned good reason to stop them from spending the money they earn.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 5:12 am
JK
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Related:

InterContinental Hotels Said to Mull Deal After Drawing Interest
  • Company discussing options including sale, merger, purchases
  • World's biggest provider of hotel lodging worth $9.4 billion
By Ed Hammond, Ruth David and Dinesh Nair

(Bloomberg) -- Holiday Inn owner InterContinental Hotels Group Plc is exploring strategic options including a potential sale or merger after attracting interest amid a boom in lodging deals, according to people with knowledge of the matter.

The world’s largest provider of hotel accommodation, which has a market value of about 6.2 billion pounds ($9.4 billion), is discussing with financial advisers whether to sell itself or combine with a competitor as the sector consolidates, the people said, asking not to be named because the talks are private. No final decision has been made and the company may choose to stay independent and could focus on making acquisitions of its own, the people said.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 4:02 am
JK
Original Poster

Wow, we all got this one wrong...

*MARRIOTT TO BUY STARWOOD HOTELS IN DEAL VALUED AT ABOUT $12.2B
Old Nov 16, 2015, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JK
Wow, we all got this one wrong...

*MARRIOTT TO BUY STARWOOD HOTELS IN DEAL VALUED AT ABOUT $12.2B
Found a link. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/marri...-arne-sorenson

Wow. Well I think I can say "told ya so" when I posted above that a deal isn't done until it's done. And neither is this deal done until it passes a few more steps.

It looks good to me at first glance. I'm comped to Marriott Gold, but hopefully my Lifetime SPG Plat status will "comp" me further.

Last edited by stimpy; Nov 16, 2015 at 4:12 am
Old Nov 16, 2015, 4:08 am
JK
Original Poster

Huh?
Exactly my initial thought too...

Press release here.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 4:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hertz PC, IC Plat, Hilton Gold, Carlson Gold
Huh?
Well that sucks. Looks like my 50/50 Hyatt/Spg split is going to become all Hyatt. Can't imagine anything good to happen to my existing board of Starpoints.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 4:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
A Marriott acquisition of Starwood is probably not going to be good for SPG elites who value the current SPG Platinum benefits.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 4:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
As, it seems, the speculation has ended with the announcement of the Marriott deal, I'll close this thread to focus discussion here :

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...out-12-2b.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.