Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Starwood Corporate : exploring options to boost value inc acquiring or being acquired

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood Corporate : exploring options to boost value inc acquiring or being acquired

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I don't believe a low end brand is needed in the SW portfolio. Four Points is flexible enough that it can cover the mid range down to the upper budget range depending on location. I won't disclose the specific area that we were thinking to put a Four Points with EB investment money, but the location would have relatively low land or existing property-to-convert acquisition costs and lower operating expenses than an urban or urban-adjacent center - so I can offer a solid quality product and not break anyone's nightly budget...plus the brand gives me flexibility to offer meeting space, wedding venue space, etc - I don't know many people who book their wedding reception at a local Travelodge or Motel 6.

Frankly I don't want a low end property to own - I don't need the hassle of constant refurbishment to undo guest damage, hiring security to chase out prostitutes and drug dealers, etc etc. I want mid priced business travelers and road trippers who appreciate the features, quality and value of my property and the brand is a magnet to draw SPG members into an area that has no current SPG coverage.

Days Inn, Extended Stay America, Value Inn, etc have a place in the American hotel landscape, but not as part of the Starwood portfolio. Now I believe there are a few European-only budget chains that are low priced, well maintained, very clean and offer a decent feature set (like Motel One of Germany or the Ibis brand), but I don't think you can "upscale" a budget brand in the US market and not have the individual properties end up trashed because of our unfortunate cultural practices.
I'll disagree with you. Its exactly what *W has been missing. The only decent 4P Ive been to in the US is in Rancho Cucamonga,Ca its a few yrs old and was new construction.There probably are some outside the US

Even Hyatt went with Hyatt Place and House, although some will say its like a CY or 4P, pt is Hyatt till then was only FS Hotels in main biz centers(except for its resorts). *W is more like HH or MR and not Hyatt, there may be some top hotels but by and large its not a high end chain.

I will agree that it should stay away from having say Super8,DaysInn,HoJo,s, Motel6 very low end but does need to bring to the table the likes of Hampton Inns or Fairfield Inns
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:13 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Not to make this a debate about Four Points but I find the new builds to be fine for what they are it is just the conversions that tend to be less than desirable.

As for acquisitions. this year I have spent a number of nights in Choice hotel properties and find them to be perfectly adequate and think they would be fine to bulk up Starwood's lower end
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:40 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I'd guess in the current market environment a PE firm will lever *Wood up and buy it (and take it private). Clean up the balance sheet for a few years and then try to spit it back out to the markets.
That's exactly the scenario we should all be wary of as many of us saw firsthand what happened to Hilton under Blackstone.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by factory81
3) Sources reference Starwoods lack of limited service hotels. Aloft/Four Points simply do not have the market penetration.
And where they do exist, they suck!
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by Flews
Depends where you are perhaps. In Canada, both 4PTs and Motel 6, are - for the most part - pretty well brand new, well-located, and quite nice.

Cheers,
I was thinking the same thing. The 4P in Canada that I've been to in the past are actually all quite nice and are on a much better level than the Holiday Inns or Days Inns around them.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:02 pm
JK
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
I've been travelling today so not online much, but the firm Starwood have hired is Lazard. I understand Starwood is more interested in acquiring than being acquired, though they will be selling some outlying assets this year.

The first thing Lazard are looking into is actually Accor. But take it with a pinch of salt - they'll consider many options before any deal gets struck.

Will share more as I get it.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by JK
I've been travelling today so not online much, but the firm Starwood have hired is Lazard. I understand Starwood is more interested in acquiring than being acquired, though they will be selling some outlying assets this year.

The first thing Lazard are looking into is actually Accor. But take it with a pinch of salt - they'll consider many options before any deal gets struck.

Accor makes no sense - too expensive and too much brand quality overlap. I understand SW might not want to fish around the bargain bin at the outlet mall (Motel 6, Travelodge, Value Inn), but Accor? What am I missing?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:15 pm
JK
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Question

Accor makes no sense - too expensive and too much brand quality overlap. I understand SW might not want to fish around the bargain bin at the outlet mall (Motel 6, Travelodge, Value Inn), but Accor? What am I missing?
I don't necessarily agree or disagree, just reporting what I'm seeing. That said, I do think Accor are strong in markets where Starwood are weak, so there is some definite synergy. And the Accor brand could do with a boost to get it in the realms of Starwood / Hilton / Marriott / Hyatt. Accor also covers a broader base than the Starwood portfolio from Ibis through to Sofitel and Pullman etc.

It's not the worst idea!
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by JK
I don't necessarily agree or disagree, just reporting what I'm seeing. That said, I do think Accor are strong in markets where Starwood are weak, so there is some definite synergy. And the Accor brand could do with a boost to get it in the realms of Starwood / Hilton / Marriott / Hyatt. Accor also covers a broader base than the Starwood portfolio from Ibis through to Sofitel and Pullman etc.

It's not the worst idea!
Well you're right...it depends on the overall strategy. If they want to fill the gap at the low end, it's probably a bad strategy. If they want to add additional coverage across the brand range in underserved markets where an acquisition is faster and cheaper than waiting for new properties to open, it's probably a good strategy.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Well you're right...it depends on the overall strategy. If they want to fill the gap at the low end, it's probably a bad strategy. If they want to add additional coverage across the brand range in underserved markets where an acquisition is faster and cheaper than waiting for new properties to open, it's probably a good strategy.
Accor is pretty strong in budget properties (ibis, mercure etc) in many markets just not the us.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:39 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by abk
Time for Barry Sternlicht to come back as a "white knight" and take back his company.
I was thinking the same when the last CEO, Frits van Paasschen, got canned.

Originally Posted by JK

I didn't suggest Accor because it's way too overweight on French properties. Accor has 2665 hotels; 1559 are in France (according to their website). France is not a high growth country.

Accor's stock has a PE ratio around 40; I'm not seeing this as a viable acquisition target.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:51 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I just love the endless speculation from people here who have no idea about what Starwood will or should do.

Starwood might acquire another hotel chain, Starwood might be acquired by another hotel chain, Starwood might merge with another hotel chain, Starwood might do nothing.

Starwood should do what its investors want, Starwood should do what its most loyal customers want, Starwood should do nothing at all.

Perhaps it's wisest to wait and see.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Perhaps it's wisest to wait and see.
What's the fun in that???
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by CLEguy
What's the fun in that???
^ This is just a normal FT thread.

Whether it's speculation on the next quarterly bonus, loyalty program changes, or hotels flagged/deflagged, there's a metric sh!tton of speculation on FT. Or a flat tax. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-...l#post24730037

Last edited by iflyjetz; Apr 29, 2015 at 7:47 pm
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/m...ood-hopes.html

Looks like many hope IHG and Starwood would merge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.