Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

LEFT JAN 2010: Sheraton Suzhou, China [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LEFT JAN 2010: Sheraton Suzhou, China [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2009, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
William, this is a major loss, ..........
Major loss indeed.
Can't claim that I stayed at that many SPG properties. Sheraton Suzhou is my MOST FAVORITE hotel within the chain WW. My latest stay in July this year was fabulous in terms of upgrade, service in the "Towers Lounge" and the lounge itself. Breakfast was comped in the restaurant (also in the Towers). Every thing was excellent. I even received 3 teddy bears (sm, med, & lg size) for my birthday.
The level of English speaking ability was lacking on the part of lobby staff, including the concierge. That was no biggie though.
The best part is that the Panmen Scenic Garden (proper name?) is right next door and admission is free for hotel guests. I spent min 3 hours there one morning. It was great!
Sorry to hear that Sheraton Suzhou no more!
Old Sep 14, 2009, 8:48 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by azepine00
I am not sure what SPG is thinking - Suzhou is a popular tourist destination and WuXi area has had a lot of business growth recently. And yet starwood promptly dropped two properties with no replacement.
Originally Posted by azepine00
I realize that. However I would expect Starwood to be somewhat more proactive with searching for new/rebranded properties in the area once Sheraton Wuxi left almost two years ago and Suzhou's contract was coming up for renewal. Right now it appears that the back up plan was to simply abandon the area.
SPG is glad to know that the property has created such an impact on their guests.

According to my previous post, there might be a brand new Sheraton Wuxi coming up in a few years' time.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Sep 15, 2009, 12:30 am

I read on hotels.net that the hotel is to become a Pan Pacific.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 7:31 am

Location: San Francisco, Shanghai, Taipei, Hong Kong, Shenzhen.
Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam, UA GS
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
a few years' time.

So nothing in the Suzhou/Wuxi area until 2012?!

I have made about 40nights in the Sheraton Suzhou this year... I have no idea where I will stay now... Maybe the Meridien She Shan... But a little far.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by F0CUS
I have made about 40nights in the Sheraton Suzhou this year... I have no idea where I will stay now
Wow, and I visit every year or two and felt "impacted."

Maybe just consider staying at the same hotel when it becomes a Pan Pacific? If you're that frequent a guest, I assume they'll take good care of you. They don't seem to have an active frequent stay program, however -- according to the website, a new one is in the works.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 8:04 am

Major loss indeed!

Adding my voice to the chorus that states this hotel departing Starwood is a major loss.

For me, this hotel was not just a place to stay, but a destination in its own right--not to be missed!
Old Sep 15, 2009, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Globehopper
Adding my voice to the chorus that states this hotel departing Starwood is a major loss.

For me, this hotel was not just a place to stay, but a destination in its own right--not to be missed!
Your right Globehopper. Suzhou is not a second rate city as some have suggested. The Humble Administrator's Garden and the I.M. Pei Museum are two of the many sights this city boasts.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 6:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I will be staying here at the end of October. I hope they are good til the end!
Old Sep 15, 2009, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
Your right Globehopper. Suzhou is not a second rate city as some have suggested. The Humble Administrator's Garden and the I.M. Pei Museum are two of the many sights this city boasts.
I never said "second rate", only "second tier". While the former term is a subjective judgment, the latter is an industry term employed by real estate investors and asset light players like Starwood when managing risk in developing markets like China.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 8:55 pm

as a guy from suzhou, i am kind of moved by your kind words.

actually i saw the hotel built up from the scratch. during the biz trips to china, i always spend a night or 2 there. to be frank, i dont always stay there, alternating between shangri-la and sheraton.
the park behind the hotel is very nice too. i didnt know hotel guests have free access to the park.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 9:22 am

great property

My husband and I spent 2 nights at this property last week. The staff is excellent and attentive. I'm sad to see this property leaving Starwood.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 9:36 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
I add my voice to the general lament - the Suzhou hotel represented the SPG chain very well, and especially in Mainland China.

Particularly when it first opened, it was a real oasis for the foreign traveler in a desert of other lodging options that mainly included Army-owned or Party-owned hotels of questionable value and integrity.

Via con Dios, Sheraton SUZ!
Old Sep 16, 2009, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iceage
the park behind the hotel is very nice too. i didnt know hotel guests have free access to the park.
Yeah, nobody told me, either. I always paid.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone ever stay at the Suzhou Sofitel? Very reasonable rates (half the price of the Shangri-la, and that's before additional discounts), and very good tripadvisor reviews.

The only thing that annoys me is that their rates are "room only," and things like breakfast are $20+ per person extra. That's part of the reason I loved the Suzhou Sheraton, is that I could toss them a few starpoints and be upgraded to executive floor privileges, with all the extras thrown in. I don't think I could actually pay out of pocket more than $20 to eat breakfast in China.

BTW, the "Sheraton" is now listed on Pan Pacific's website as "opening" in January, but it doesn't seem like you can actually book a room yet. I'm curious what the rates will be.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:38 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Sad to see Sheraton Suzhou deflagged

Moderator: If you think it more appropriate to link this with a existing thread, go for it. I tried to post this in an existing thread, but the searches did not yield anything useful.
I love this property and sad to see it go, knowing other property due west of here will serve the *wood guests. I had this property in my book as THE BEST Sheraton WW (of course, my experience is quite limited).
If your travel brings you back to Suzhou again, where & which *wood would you stay now?

This post was triggered by the following email letter that I received from the staff director (copied & pasted below):

Dear Guest,

We really appreciate your support and loyalty towards the Sheraton Suzhou Hotel and Towers over the past few years. Now we are delighted to share with you that from January 11th 2010, the Sheraton Suzhou Hotel & Towers will be rebranded to Pan Pacific Suzhou and managed by Pan Pacific Hotels and Resorts, a listed renowned hotel group based in Singapore . Pan Pacific Suzhou will continue to provide you with the service and familiarity that you have come to expect and enjoy from the number one international hotel in Suzhou .

Pan Pacific Hotels and Resorts have won many esteemed accolades including World Travel Awards, AAA Four Diamond Awards, Condé Nast Gold List and Readers Choice Awards. Its portfolio comprises of over 18 hotels, resorts and serviced suites throughout Asia and North America, with Global Sales Offices in San Francisco , London , Singapore , Hong Kong, Tokyo and Sydney .

· The existing recently refurbished Tower Wing will be transformed into Pan Pacific’s exclusive executive accommodation, the Pacific Club. Pacific Club guests will enjoy the unrivalled level of personalized attention, with butler service and access to the enhanced Pacific Lounge serving complimentary breakfast and evening cocktails, as well as access to comprehensive business amenities, including fully-equipped meeting rooms.

· Pan Pacific’s award-winning Chinese restaurant, Hai Tien Lo, will open its door to guests in search of fine Cantonese cuisine including gourmet dim sum and local specialities.

· Finally, the hotel walkways and gardens will reveal a fresh, new look and will feature extensive landscaping and enhanced lighting effects, as well as refurbished elevators.

Please contact us directly or through reservations which ever is easiest for you and let us really spoil you on your next visit to Pan Pacific Suzhou .

From January 11th we look forward to welcoming you to Pan Pacific Suzhou!!

Yours Sincerely

Keiichi Ando I Assistant Director of Sales Sheraton Suzhou Hotel & Towers

259 Xin Shi Lu I Suzhou I Jiangsu I 215007 I China

telephone++86.512.65103388 ext.8714 facsimile +86.512.65190918

mobilephone 15062436878

[email protected]

Sheraton I

Belong

This electronic message transmission contains information from the Company that may be proprietary, confidential and/or privileged. The information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying or distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the address listed in the "From:" field.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.