Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

LEFT JAN 2010: Sheraton Suzhou, China [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LEFT JAN 2010: Sheraton Suzhou, China [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2009, 5:23 am

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
From NYC: This is a wonderful hotel in a magical city that is filled with Chinese gardens. Make sure you see the I.M. Pei Museum located at the entrance to The Humble Adminsitrator's garden. The silk factories are also worthwhile, as it isn't very often that you can see silk worms working. Feel free to PM me if you need any help.

The Sheraton hotel at Wuxi left Starwood a year ago.
Thank you for the advice. I've been to Shanghai and Hangzhou before, but 1st time to Suzhou. Now just trying to decide if I want to stay there 2 nights, or come back to Shanghai late after a one-night stay. I'll arrive late morning.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 2:34 pm

Have been at the property in June for 2 nights over the weekend. Pretty old building but in OK shape. Inside a bit like a maze and dated (esp. Pagoda wing).

New Towers building has been opened in Feb 2009 so check out if you want to pay the little extra (probably worthwhile as this hotel is very inexpensive now).

Received PLAT upgrade to Exec Suite but had issues as they erected scaffolding right in front of my room (noise and workers in front of our window). Raised a post-stay complaint as it was very disturbing. Response slow and finally GM offered Tower Suite upgrade on next stay (not really an option as I won't come back).

Staff are not overly well trained (one exception was the FO manager during checkin). Food (Breakfast and bar food tested) is not as good as in Shanghai *woods.

Consider new SZ hotels depending where you want to go in SZ. In the business districts there are also new Shangri La, Kempinski and Crown Plaza if I'm not mistaken.

Additional note: for some reasons many Sheratons in China don't show up on spg.com or sheratonhotels if you only punch in the city name. A bit frustrating indeed (Chengdu, Suzhou and Xian are the three I remember).

Rgds
Ham
Old Jul 11, 2009, 9:35 am

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Yesterday, I went to spg.com to check some possible future reservations, and decided to have another look at "Upcoming Stays". My Sheraton Suzhou reservation was no longer listed. I checked all possible areas of the *wood various websites, and no reservation was listed anymore. So, I called the Plat Elite line and was told that my reservation was still in the system, but no longer had my SPG # attached to it. The very nice lady suggested that the hotel itself had done something to the reservation and had somehow removed my number. She was unable to put it back in. I have emailed the hotel about this and am waiting for a reply.

This is a first for me, having my SPG # removed from a reservation after it went through and having received a confirmation email, from SPG central, with it attached.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
A mini report

From NYC,
Sorry that you are having issue with web site not showing your reservation; and that earlier you couldn't find the hotel under Suzhou. My own experience is about same, the not finding hotel on the web bit.
However, all these troubles are worth it after your arrival at this property.
For those who are contemplating of visiting Suzhou and planning to stay here, I would like to share the following:
- One can definitely do day trip from Shanghai. The train from Shanghai Railways Station (NOT the South Station) to Suzhou Station takes about 45 minutes. For the faint of heart, I recommend you not go to the train station and book ticket in person. Instead book it from you hotel concierge (pay a small commission, in my case: softseat costs 31 RMB and commission is 21 RMB; x2 for RT). Suzhou station is even more confusing due to massive number of tourists. Just to find the end of the taxi line can be daunting as people scrambling and shuffling around. People often cut in line without a wink. This is China. Be sure to book your train tickets (RT) in advance. A tidbit: don't be surprised to see people spit on the floor, any floor! In the waiting room & on the train or bus!
- Suzhou deserves at least stay 1 night, maybe 2. If you stay, I would recommend the Sheraton Suzhou Hotel & Towers. I stayed here in mid July. As Plat, got upgraded to a very deluxe (know not the exact category) room over looking the garden (Panmen Gate Scenic Zone). This garden, dotted with lakes, pagoda and pavilions is a fantastic place to wonder. In some way, better than the Humble Administrator's Garden. Free for hotel guest, just show your room key. Hotel recently opens the "Towers" section. When I was there, the Exec Lounge was in the Towers Lounge. A fine lounge in and of itself. 2 (might have been 3) computers with 1 printer available for online use. I got free in-room internet access. Some part of the hotel is going through exterior re-painting. Free breakfast for Elites is in the restaurant, buffet style. A fine mixed of Chinese and western food, hot and cold is available. Service was superb. Cook to order is available.

Taxi from Suzhou to hotel takes less than 18 minutes and 20 RMB. A Tourist Bus #2 has a stop opposite to the hotel, that cost 1 RMB per ride. It goes to 75% of all tourist sights (if you know its route). Very crowded, but interesting to experience it with the Chinese tourists. Otherwise taxi to Tiger Hill would be 25 RMB. Depends on the weather, in the summer, I would hire a car with driver to tour any place of your choice, instead of trying to get a taxi. Specify driver not to smoke inside and that it has air-con. Taxi in most part of city is real tough to flag down. Take a boat ride in the evening.
Back to the hotel. Staff is not too well verse in English, from front desk to restaurant, exec lounge staff excepted.

A fine hotel and I will return.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 9:32 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by allset2travel
you couldn't find the hotel under Suzhou. My own experience is about same, the not finding hotel on the web bit.
Dear members,

This glitch has been resolved. Do let me know if you are still encountering it.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Jul 31, 2009, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
Dear members,

[email protected]

Thanks for helping make the non-appearance on the website go away. Just checked it out and the choice of Suzhou, China comes up as I started typing "Suzhou".

Unfortunately for me, given all the heat and rain in Shanghai area last week, I canceled my one-night stay there because I just didn't feel like dealing with it in another place. I will definitely plan at least a 2-night stay there my next trip there, even if it's raining, as long as it's cooler. (So, I will not be going back in July or August.) Oliver Yin at the hotel, could not have been more helpful in our email correspondence, answering questions and working to make my stay as wonderful as possible. I look forward my trip there.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Dear members,

[email protected]

Good to know. Thanks Luker.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 8:56 pm

Location: San Francisco, Shanghai, Taipei, Hong Kong, Shenzhen.
Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam, UA GS
Unhappy Sheraton Suzhou disappearing...

Have been staying at the Sheraton Suzhou for the past year, with over 30 nights here in 2009 it has been my home away from home. I have loved staying at the new Towers wing, great lounge and great Italian Bene's restaurant.

Unfortunately the staff has informed me that as of September 2010, this property's contract with Starwood will expire and they will not be renewing it. Thus, this property will no longer be a Sheraton after that date. Hearing this news made me very sad... I don't even see any plans for new Starwood properties in the Suzhou area which makes things even worse...
Old Sep 8, 2009, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am hoping they'll renew - after all there is still a year left... It's one of my favorite properties in China. If not, hopefully they'll partner with some other major western chain and I'll gladly come back to say Hyatt Suzhou.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by azepine00
I am hoping they'll renew - after all there is still a year left... It's one of my favorite properties in China. If not, hopefully they'll partner with some other major western chain and I'll gladly come back to say Hyatt Suzhou.
Hi all,

I was informed by the property's GM that it will be bought over by another hotel chain in January 2010.

I have not received any official confirmation except from the GM.

September 2010 might be incorrect.

[email protected]
Old Sep 9, 2009, 4:48 am

September 2010 might be incorrect.

Lurker, you are right. It seems it's January 2010, not September. My bad.

Are you aware of any plans of a "replacement" hotel opening up in this area?
Old Sep 9, 2009, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by F0CUS
Lurker, you are right. It seems it's January 2010, not September. My bad.

Are you aware of any plans of a "replacement" hotel opening up in this area?
Hi F0CUS,

No worries.

Nothing concrete at the moment so I am afraid not.

[email protected]

Old Sep 9, 2009, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00

Totally agree, this is a wonderful property, I hope there is still a chance that it can remain within the Starwood brand.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 1:40 pm

does anyone think this is related to the Sheraton Wuxi leaving Starwood for Park Hotel Group? Same deal here maybe?
Old Sep 11, 2009, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by F0CUS
Totally agree, this is a wonderful property, I hope there is still a chance that it can remain within the Starwood brand.
This is my favorite hotel in China. Aside from being a beautiful property, I have received great perks there, even as a Gold.

Say it ain't so! I was planning on returning with my family next summer. It will be hard to break the news to them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.