Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

LEFT JAN 2010: Sheraton Suzhou, China [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LEFT JAN 2010: Sheraton Suzhou, China [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2009, 8:59 pm

Location: San Francisco, Shanghai, Taipei, Hong Kong, Shenzhen.
Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam, UA GS
Originally Posted by HOTguy
does anyone think this is related to the Sheraton Wuxi leaving Starwood for Park Hotel Group? Same deal here maybe?
Damn! The Sheraton Wuxi is leaving too?!!! When/how did you hear that?
Old Sep 13, 2009, 10:32 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by F0CUS
Damn! The Sheraton Wuxi is leaving too?!!! When/how did you hear that?
The previous Sheraton Wuxi has left SPG few months back.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...aton-wuxi.html

There might be a new Sheraton at Wuxi few years from now.

And nope. There is no relation between this and Sheraton Suzhou leaving.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Sep 14, 2009, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, it's "more official" now. Published announcement.

The hotel has been owned by the Pan Pacific group and they're going to rebrand it a Pan Pacific hotel.

http://www.chinahospitalitynews.com/...pen-in-suzhou/

This particular rebranding stinks for those of us with status across several of the major brands. Who has status with Pan Pacific? While I've always enjoyed the architecture of the hotel -- and my upgraded room facing the fantastic traditional public garden in the rear -- the BEST thing about the hotel was the deal I could get even as only an SPG gold. Cheap cash & points rate and then an upgrade to lounge benefits/breakfast for a modest additional number of miles. I guess now I'll have to pay "real money" for these bennies. Or stay elsewhere next summer. A sad travel day for me -- this was one of the best hotel deals in the world!
Old Sep 14, 2009, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not sure what SPG is thinking - Suzhou is a popular tourist destination and WuXi area has had a lot of business growth recently. And yet starwood promptly dropped two properties with no replacement.

I really don't care when SPG drops a generic property (say Sheraton SFO) but Sheraton Suzhou is one of those interesting hotels I really want to return to...
Old Sep 14, 2009, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by azepine00
I am not sure what SPG is thinking
It sounds like the property owners were doing most of the thinking.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 1:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
I am not sure what SPG is thinking...
Did you read the press release posted above? SPG had nothing to do with this hotel leaving. The hotel owners want to expand their own brand in the region.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Sep 14, 2009, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Did you read the press release posted above? SPG had nothing to do with this hotel leaving. The hotel owners want to expand their own brand in the region.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
William, this is a major loss, as this is another fine hotel leaving the Starwood empire.

Could Starwood "Code Share" some of the best hotels with other chains in a similar fashion as airlines do code shares with other airlines?
Old Sep 14, 2009, 2:07 pm

wuxi sheraton left the group a couple years ago.

i guess business was not that good and it's expensive. There is a marriott courtyard not far and much cheaper. Kempinski wuxi opened last year. quite nice.

i think Shangrila suzhou is nicer than sheraton suzhou. There are also several new hotels which you can consider, kempinski, intercontinental etc.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
...Could Starwood "Code Share" some of the best hotels with other chains in a similar fashion as airlines do code shares with other airlines?
Not that I'm aware of.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Sep 14, 2009, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iceage
i think Shangrila suzhou is nicer than sheraton suzhou. There are also several new hotels which you can consider, kempinski, intercontinental etc.
The Sheraton was half the reason I always stopped in Suzhou when in Shanghai. The other half was to take the wife to buy pearls at the nearby "Pearl City" wholesale market. If she still wants to go pearl shopping, I guess I'll read all the reviews and play "let's make a deal" to figure out where to stay. I feel like I lost "my home" in Suzhou. The good news is that, in China, there's always a new luxury hotel going up, so maybe I'll find a new home. I doubt it will be as unique as the Sheraton, however.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
I realize that. However I would expect Starwood to be somewhat more proactive with searching for new/rebranded properties in the area once Sheraton Wuxi left almost two years ago and Suzhou's contract was coming up for renewal. Right now it appears that the back up plan was to simply abandon the area.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 3:27 pm

I realize that. However I would expect Starwood to be somewhat more proactive with searching for new/rebranded properties in the area once Sheraton Wuxi left almost two years ago and Suzhou's contract was coming up for renewal. Right now it appears that the back up plan was to simply abandon the area.
AFIK, Starwood doesn't go out of its way to score contracts in second tier cities.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
AFIK, Starwood doesn't go out of its way to score contracts in second tier cities.
Actually, I'm sure that it would if there was a similar interest expressed from a hotel owner in those second tier cities.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Sep 14, 2009, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Very nice hotel and I especially liked that the subway stop was on the property. That said, I will not stay there if it's a Pan Pacific.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 3:46 pm

Actually, I'm sure that it would if there was a similar interest expressed from a hotel owner in those second tier cities.
Right. That was sort of my point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.