Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[GONE] SPG + Uber Partnership - Earn Starpoints with Uber Rides - ENDED 17 DEC 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yosithezet
Promo Landing Page: https://www.spg.com/uber
SPG + Uber FAQ: https://www.spgpromos.com/uber/?acti...M=UberLink_DEF
SPG + Uber T&Cs: https://www.spgpromos.com/uber/?acti...M=UberLink_DEF

UPDATE: October 26, 2017
Effective December 17, 2017 the SPG partnership with Uber will come to an end.

Members who have met all of the requirements to earn Starpoints in accordance with the SPG-Uber benefits program, including, without limitation, having a Stay posted to their SPG Member account for the current calendar year will continue to earn Starpoints on Uber rides up until 11:59PM on December 17, 2017.

If the stay overlaps with the program end date, you will still earn 2 starpoints per USD 1 spent on Uber rides taken during your stay. Any rides taken after 11:59 on December 17, 2017 even if taken during a stay that originated on or before December 17, 2014 will not earn starpoints on that uber ride.

Frequently Asked Questions

When will members stop earning Starpoints on their Uber rides?
Members who have met all of the requirements to earn Starpoints in accordance with the SPG-Uber benefits program, including, without limitation, having a Stay posted to their SPG Member account for the current calendar year will continue to earn Starpoints on Uber rides up until 11:59PM on December 17, 2017, subject to applicable limits.

If members have a stay that overlaps with the program end date, will they still earn 2 Starpoints per US$1 spent on Uber rides taken during the stay?
Yes, members who check-in for a Stay prior to 11:59PM on December 17, 2017 and have an Uber pick-up time prior to 11:59PM on December 17, 2017, subject to applicable limits, will earn 2 Starpoints for every U.S. dollar or its foreign equivalent denomination spent for fares on the Uber ride(s). Any rides taken after 11:59PM on December 17, 2017, even if taken during a stay that originated on or prior to December 17, 2017, will not earn Starpoints on the Uber ride(s). To earn Starpoints for any Uber ride the member must have met all of the requirements to earn Starpoints in accordance with the SPG-Uber benefits program, including, without limitation, having a Stay posted to their SPG Member account for the current calendar year.

Why did I recently have a delay in my Starpoints posting for my Uber rides?
An issue was identified affecting Uber rides over the last month that delayed the posting of points to member accounts. We have since fixed this issue and members should receive all ride credits within the stated 2-4 week period.

UPDATE: January 18, 2017
Uber Partnership Update
  • During Hotel stay: Members will earn two Starpoints per US$1 spent with Uber (versus two, three or four Starpoints per US$1, depending on member tier).
  • Everyday: members will earn one Starpoint per US$2 spent with Uber (versus one Starpoint per US$1).

With your SPG and Uber accounts linked and you have met a requirement of ONE qualifying stay in the current calendar year, SPG members will earn 1 point per dollar spent with Uber on every day rides. For rides during stays, SPG members will earn 2 points per dollar spent on Uber (Preferred), 3 points per (Gold or Platinum), or 4 points per (Plat75).

There is a maximum of $10,000 in points-earning spend with Uber per calendar year. This means that you could have up to 40,000 SPG points with this promotion (if you were a Plat75 and only used Uber while on SPG stays and maxed out $10,000 in Uber services).

Bangkok - Charged in local currency THB.
Beijing - Charged in USD.
Delhi - Charged in local currency INR.
Guangzhou - Charged in USD.
Ho Chi Minh City - Charged in local currency VND.
Hong Kong - Charged in local currency HKD.
London - Charged in local currency GBP (American Express)
Hyderabad - Charged in local currency INR.
Kolkata - Charged in local currency INR.
Kuala Lumpur - Charged in local currency MYR.
Mumbai - Charged in local currency INR.
Penang - Charged in local currency MYR.
Seoul - Charged in local currency KRW.
Santiago de Chile - Charged in local currency CLP when using MC, charged in USD when using Amex.
Shanghai - Charged in USD.
Singapore - Charged in local currency SGD.
Taipei - Charged in local currency TWD.
Tokyo - Charged in local currency JPY.
Toronto - Charged in local currency CAD.
UAE - Charged in local currency AED
Print Wikipost

[GONE] SPG + Uber Partnership - Earn Starpoints with Uber Rides - ENDED 17 DEC 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: SPG
I actually try to stay in SPG to clock the Uber points and use Uber instead of grab whenever possible. Guess good times never last.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Very disappointed but this will let me take Uber less, but not stay at SPG less. So it's a lost for Uber. I wonder who initiated the divorce, but it does seem Uber needs SPG more than SPG needs Uber.

Overall disappointed because it's nice to pile on SPG points during business trips and riding Uber Black.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by nall
Did you guys contact research, or did they post of their own accord?

I have not seen my points yet.
No contact with research, they just appeared in my account.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
They seem to have done a sweep.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
I'll continue to do $200-ish of Uber rides a year to take advantage of the AmEx platinum credits, but the other >$10,000 I spend on ride shares will be going to Lyft as of 12/17.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 6:16 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
They seem to have done a sweep.
they aren’t recognizing Uber rides while staying at Starwood properties though. I have about 8 rides that only got .5 points/$

probably not going to call over a few hundred star points though
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by bigshooter
they aren’t recognizing Uber rides while staying at Starwood properties though. I have about 8 rides that only got .5 points/$

probably not going to call over a few hundred star points though
I got those the day after (without calling).
Old Oct 29, 2017, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Back to normal until Dec. 17th it seems - points for my Uber trip yesterday posted overnight.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 6:11 pm

Goodbye Uber....
Old Oct 30, 2017, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by PayItForward
Goodbye Uber....
I am far from an Uber superfan, but I really do not understand this. Do people have such great ways of getting around that yield that much more in the way of points to other programs? I take Uber where it works for me, and the 50 or 100 extra SPG points a month were a bonus but did not change my behvaior much.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:29 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Very disappointed but this will let me take Uber less, but not stay at SPG less. So it's a lost for Uber.
This sums it up quite nicely for me as well. Instead of defaulting more towards Uber whilst on SPG stays, I'll do more price-shopping to see if Uber/Lyft/other local equivalent suits my needs better.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 8:36 am

Not to go off on a tangent but I used to ride Uber something like 50 times per month. The past year I have mainly been using Lyft. Uber's pricing is almost always higher, they reduced the partnership Amex points, and I encountered major issues which they refused to take responsibility for (i.e. a glitch that had me dropped off in the wrong city and was left stranded in a bad neighborhood). I now ride uber a few times per month if that and usually only when there is a significantly longer wait time for Lyft. The loss of Capital One credits, now Amex points, will probably be the end of my Uber usage.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:24 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I got a response from Research, all the previous missing rides posted. Rides are now posting within 12 hours again.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by ckendall
I am far from an Uber superfan, but I really do not understand this. Do people have such great ways of getting around that yield that much more in the way of points to other programs? I take Uber where it works for me, and the 50 or 100 extra SPG points a month were a bonus but did not change my behvaior much.
Grab is competitive to Uber where I stay. Been taking Uber primarily because of the Starpoints. When that is no longer True, Grab with its own loyalty program will likely get my business. Additionally, in Singapore, when there is a surge in play, local cabs are generally way cheaper to just flag off the street.
Brendan likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
As this partnership gasps its death rattle, I've been surprised that SPG points are crediting pretty much immediately. I did four Uber rides in Taipei on Saturday/Sunday and the points posted same day. I checked out of the Aloft yesterday at 4pm and this morning my Aloft points posted as did the Uber bonus points.

Clearly, the housekeeping is being done before the programme ends.

So that's it for Uber. I'll use Grab wherever it exists in preference and use Uber as my fallback. So long.
Brendan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.