Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KENNECTED
Initial Announcement of the SPG/UBER Partnership (January 2015)

SPG + Uber Partnership - Earn Starpoints with Uber Rides
Print Wikipost

Uber Partnership Update

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:00 am
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster

Programs: SPG
Uber Partnership Update

Next month we begin our third year of partnership with Uber and we will be changing how members earn Starpoints for their rides.

Beginning February 1, 2017, SPG members will earn Starpoints in the following ways after they link their accounts and have one qualified stay:

While staying at a SPG Hotel: Members will earn two Starpoints per US$1 spent with Uber (versus two, three or four Starpoints per US$1, depending on member tier).
When not in-stay, members will earn one Starpoint per US$2 spent with Uber (versus one Starpoint per US$1).

If you haven’t already linked your accounts, be sure to do so at spg.com/uber. This is still an easy way to boost your Starpoints balance through your everyday activities.

We also wanted to give you a sneak peek into a promotion we will offer throughout February. Members will earn five total Starpoints per US$1 spent with Uber while staying at a SPG hotel. You will earn automatically if your accounts are linked. Additional registration is not required.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just got the e-mail. I guess the program has been "enhanced", especially for Platinum and above
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:15 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Thumbs down
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
With whom does Lyft partner beside JetBlue? When the Starwood-Uber partnership is devalued for consumers, consumers should again consider what alternatives there are to pursue as a response to a degraded service/value proposition.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:26 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, UA Platinum
Just got the email too. This is "SAD."
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:41 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I appreciate they were honest about it instead of trying to spin it as an enhancement.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not a high-volume Uber user (basically to/from airport each week and about $10 each way) so it is not a huge loss.

Note that one can buy Uber gift cards on UA's MileagePlus X for 1 mile/$. So, that helps a little.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Just got my email. I've accrued about 3000 SPG points from Uber journeys over the last couple of years. Enough for one free night at a Four Points. For free.

So, I'll be quicker to take Grab now as the SPG points become more meaningless.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:09 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
What a disappointing change. SPG is slashing Uber earn rates in half.

The Marriott merger is already starting to deteriorate the program… first, the lousy Double Take Q1 promotion, then killing the Caesars' partnership without notice, now this…
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by helvetic
What a disappointing change. SPG is slashing Uber earn rates in half.

The Marriott merger is already starting to deteriorate the program… first, the lousy Double Take Q1 promotion, then killing the Caesars' partnership without notice, now this…
Easy to blame everything on a merger but only the Double Take promo was intiated by Marriott. Ceasars was in a death spiral when the deal was signed with SPG and the deal expired. Ceasars is in better shape now, so no need for them to renew. Uber also has to start making money at some point and they are well known now. It makes sense that they would want to cut back on their purchase of SPG points if they feel they can.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Wow this sucks. At 4 points per $, this was a program that actually changed my behavior. Between to/from the airport on both ends, plus cars to/from meetings (often pretty far), it was a meaningful amount of star points for me (often 1,000+ points each trip)

50% devaluation means I'll be looking elsewhere for both stays and car service.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
This is a devaluation, yes, but I'm not going to sweat it terribly. Merger-wise I feel they've handled it well so far with the introduction of benefits and solid point-transferral rate. If we were going to hit with a devaluation, this one isn't a *terrible* one.

Won't really impact my stays - I don't think Lyft or any other rideshare apps offer anything similar, anyways
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:12 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jmanirish
Wow this sucks. At 4 points per $, this was a program that actually changed my behavior. Between to/from the airport on both ends, plus cars to/from meetings (often pretty far), it was a meaningful amount of star points for me (often 1,000+ points each trip)

50% devaluation means I'll be looking elsewhere for both stays and car service.
For me, earning SPG points was really icing. It wasn't really an huge amount to affect behaviour. Uber has wider coverage than Lyft. And definitely not going back to taxis.

I don't see Uber partnership with SPG really affecting one making a decision to stay at SPG as opposed to other chains. I would imagine the chain's frequent guest program would have a larger effect than Uber partnership.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:57 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I agree- the points have been icing. I use Uber a lot and this won't change my behavior.

And I'm glad they didn't try to spin this a la WOH as "an exciting new benefit!"
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:32 pm

Le sigh. I didn't earn a lot of extra points this way, but I liked getting them anyhow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.