Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Announcing SPG’s 2015 Category Changes : effective March 10, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 10, 2015, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: daiseee
When did the 2015 Starwood hotel category changes go into effect?
The changes took effect on March 10.
What's the breakdown of properties going up/down?
Based on the initial list of changes--see below for more on this--22% of hotels are changing category. Of these, 10.49% are moving up and 11.78% are moving down.
Where can I find the list of changes?
The initial list can be found here.

Note that the initial list is not final or authoritative, and that additional changes (or even reversal of changes proposed in the initial list) have been made & may continue to occur. To date, these include
  • The Royal Palm going up to 6
  • Le Méridien Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok Golf Resort & Spa going up to 3
  • W Bangkok remaining 4
  • Le Méridien Taipei remaining 6
  • Sheraton Mahwah remaining 4
  • Heathrow Sheraton remaining 3
  • Westin LAX remaining 4
  • Le Westin Montreal remaining 5
  • Aloft Buffalo Airport going down to 2
  • Aloft Tampa Downtown going down to 3
  • Sheraton Gran Canaria going up to 4
I booked a property before the category went up, but a) now my online reservation prices my stay at the higher category and/or b) I'm getting followup emails showing the higher rate? Is this problem?
As explained in post #118,
there is often a system-generated change that makes it look like the price will go up when checking reservations online and on any reservation confirmation emails for existing bookings that are re-sent after the change takes place. You will be charged what you booked originally, however.
Print Wikipost

Announcing SPG’s 2015 Category Changes : effective March 10, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Four Points Nashville Airport is a joke at 4.

Sheraton Columbia SC has gone from Cat 2 to 4 over past few years.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Happy to see LM Budapest go from 4 to 3. Will be there in April and no brainer to spend 7000 pts/night instead of 127 Euros + 22% tax!
Still only results in a 2.5% redemption rate... not great. Perhaps hold out for a little better imo. But yes, that is a good hotel in a very good location.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Aloft David Whitney is surprising. Seeing as it opened a month or two ago. And you can stay at the Weston down the street....
Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
ETA: I'm anxious to see how the move to Cat 7 affects award space at StR Punta Mita. They're clearly playing games with their inventory now, and it's disappointing for the credibility of the program--particularly since astute posters here have alerted the Lurker team as to exactly how they're doing it, too...
I agree. This is the first one in the list that stood out to me. Not that it doesn't belong in a Category 7 (which I don't think it does), but because they have been attempting to wedge out the award space as it is. So much for attempting to visit this property in the future.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Le Parker Meridien Palm Springs moving back up to a Cat 6 is interesting. They just moved down to a Cat 5 last year.

It looks like one of our hotels booked in May is moving down to a Cat 5. It was not a good deal at 20,000, but it is a lot more appealing at 12,000. Hmm.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:11 pm

Overall not any terrible news, though a few disappointments.

I wil say though, with 4 Indonesian hotels going up...

If $100-120 hotels are Cat 4 and $80-95 hotels are Cat 3, then I clearly don't understand the math.

Bandung's TA #1 rated hotel can be had for $100. You'd have to be crazy or devoid of even infant level math skills to blow up 7000 points/night at the Sheraton- either pay $ or stay elsewhere. A TERRIBLE value on points.

and the LM JKT has been in need of renovation for many years- which I understand is starting. So bump to a CAT 4 before/during renovation? 10k points, only 2k/night below The Keraton!? That should bring their total award stays for the next year to roughly zero.

In BKK, hard to figure Plaza Athenee a Cat 4 either. It was a non-choice as a 3 already. Was hoping Aloft would fall back to a Cat 1. Granted, good thing it's not in Indonesia, it would have become a Cat 3. Or 4!....

Last edited by uncommonsensical; Feb 24, 2015 at 12:06 am Reason: post was mildly incoherent
Old Feb 23, 2015, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's The Real Deal?

Aloft Tampa Downtown shows going from Cat2 to Cat3.

But web site says it's currently Cat4.

??
Old Feb 23, 2015, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Nehawk
Glad to see Westin LAX dropping!
Though it's interesting to see the Sheraton going up at the same time.

Glad to see the Guildford return to Cat 2, and nice to see some other drops. Not thrilled with the SF changes, but not surprised either.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Wow a lot of Ontario hotels moving down a cat. Good news
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, DL
Originally Posted by cfabar1
Aloft David Whitney is surprising. Seeing as it opened a month or two ago. And you can stay at the Weston down the street....
Shocking really. A block and a half apart, the Westin has better restaurants, amenities, etc. Not to mention the Westin is overall nicer. And yet the aLoft is a higher category?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Happy to see the Grand Bretagne going down. I had a stay booked next door, at the King George, on C&P since it was cheaper. Now I can switch to the GB, which everyone tells me is better
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Good result for UK Hotels

Aloft Liverpool goes from a Cat 3 to a 2 - probably to be expected given how low their prices are!

Sheraton Skyline Heathrow Goes from 4 to a 3

And Sheraton Heathrow goes from a 3 to a cat 2!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pewpew
Happy to see the Grand Bretagne going down. I had a stay booked next door, at the King George, on C&P since it was cheaper. Now I can switch to the GB, which everyone tells me is better
OT, same situation coming up...is the GB really superior?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Tbh, I've never been to either, but if you look at the GB thread on FT, it sure looks sexy. As a Plat, you can select the breakfast amenity, which would be given to you on their rooftop restaurant which supposedly has stunning views (having looked online, I concur). As a Gold, I'd have to pay the 20 euros, so I'm probably not going to get breakfast there

What really cinched it for me was that, according to that thread, the sauna and aromatherapy treatments in the spa are complimentary. This is a vacation for me, so, why not?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:51 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
From my stays last year, I say yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.