Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Announcing SPG’s 2015 Category Changes : effective March 10, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 10, 2015, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: daiseee
When did the 2015 Starwood hotel category changes go into effect?
The changes took effect on March 10.
What's the breakdown of properties going up/down?
Based on the initial list of changes--see below for more on this--22% of hotels are changing category. Of these, 10.49% are moving up and 11.78% are moving down.
Where can I find the list of changes?
The initial list can be found here.

Note that the initial list is not final or authoritative, and that additional changes (or even reversal of changes proposed in the initial list) have been made & may continue to occur. To date, these include
  • The Royal Palm going up to 6
  • Le Méridien Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok Golf Resort & Spa going up to 3
  • W Bangkok remaining 4
  • Le Méridien Taipei remaining 6
  • Sheraton Mahwah remaining 4
  • Heathrow Sheraton remaining 3
  • Westin LAX remaining 4
  • Le Westin Montreal remaining 5
  • Aloft Buffalo Airport going down to 2
  • Aloft Tampa Downtown going down to 3
  • Sheraton Gran Canaria going up to 4
I booked a property before the category went up, but a) now my online reservation prices my stay at the higher category and/or b) I'm getting followup emails showing the higher rate? Is this problem?
As explained in post #118,
there is often a system-generated change that makes it look like the price will go up when checking reservations online and on any reservation confirmation emails for existing bookings that are re-sent after the change takes place. You will be charged what you booked originally, however.
Print Wikipost

Announcing SPG’s 2015 Category Changes : effective March 10, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
SF Bay Area just got hammered with this one...
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:11 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Then 2 Tampa Sheratons going 2>3 is pretty devastating for us. At 2 cents a point, this equates to $140 a night. After spending 10-15 nights this year at both (total), there is no way either is worth a Category 3 level. It looks like I'll be back to my Lifetime Gold status in 2016
The ONLY good news in Florida is that the Sheraton LBV by Disney stays a 2 and is probably the biggest bargain around. I would have bet that one would have gone up
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:53 pm

Programs: SPG lifetime Platinum, Air Canada Super Elite, Priority Club Platinum Elite,
Does anyone know exactly how this is decided?

I agree about the Four Points Revere, total disaster. The neighbourhood is so sketchy and there are always mangy hookers all over the property.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...es-hotels.html
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Dubosc
Does anyone know exactly how this is decided?
Room rates. That's all, nothing else.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've used the Sheraton Madison as a place to fill out my 25 stays the last 2 years. Seeing it go from a 2 to a 3 means I'll need to work harder to make this happen earlier this year with revenue stays.

No big surprise at the jump, though -- the rates can many times be higher than I'm willing to pay for a mattress run.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Couldn't you book now for later in the year and cancel if not required?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Yes
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I could, sure. I'm also figuring I'll hit 25 stays with ease this year and it doesn't seem worth it at this point.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:03 am

If I want to stay at a Sheraton next Feb, and that property is going up a category, but I don't know if I'll stay 1, 2, or 3 nights. How should I book that? I know for sure I'll stay one night, but it might be 2 or 3 as well. Should I book each night individually and cancel the ones I don't need? Or book each (1 night, 2 nights, 3 nights) separately and cancel the two reservations I don't need?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:14 am

Programs: AA, BA, SPG Gold
If I book a property with points that is going up a category will I lock in the old points or do they automatically charge the new point rate?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:25 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by slhansen219
If I book a property with points that is going up a category will I lock in the old points or do they automatically charge the new point rate?
You're locked at the old points as long as it's booked before the change.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by klepton
If I want to stay at a Sheraton next Feb, and that property is going up a category, but I don't know if I'll stay 1, 2, or 3 nights. How should I book that? I know for sure I'll stay one night, but it might be 2 or 3 as well. Should I book each night individually and cancel the ones I don't need? Or book each (1 night, 2 nights, 3 nights) separately and cancel the two reservations I don't need?
Yes book each night individually to maintain flexibility. I do this even when rates aren't going up!
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think some hotels might zero out availability before the new level to prevent people from booking under the new rate...

Also, interesting enough...a hotel I use only had full point redemption for later this year when I checked the last few months. Now, it is showing cash+points. My guess is maybe the hotel hoped to go up a category. It did not work so they opened everything up...
Old Feb 27, 2015, 5:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Boy....after looking at the changes at MR I am really happy with the overall SPG changes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.