Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Announcing SPG’s 2015 Category Changes : effective March 10, 2015

Old Mar 10, 2015, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: daiseee
When did the 2015 Starwood hotel category changes go into effect?
The changes took effect on March 10.
What's the breakdown of properties going up/down?
Based on the initial list of changes--see below for more on this--22% of hotels are changing category. Of these, 10.49% are moving up and 11.78% are moving down.
Where can I find the list of changes?
The initial list can be found here.

Note that the initial list is not final or authoritative, and that additional changes (or even reversal of changes proposed in the initial list) have been made & may continue to occur. To date, these include
  • The Royal Palm going up to 6
  • Le Méridien Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok Golf Resort & Spa going up to 3
  • W Bangkok remaining 4
  • Le Méridien Taipei remaining 6
  • Sheraton Mahwah remaining 4
  • Heathrow Sheraton remaining 3
  • Westin LAX remaining 4
  • Le Westin Montreal remaining 5
  • Aloft Buffalo Airport going down to 2
  • Aloft Tampa Downtown going down to 3
  • Sheraton Gran Canaria going up to 4
I booked a property before the category went up, but a) now my online reservation prices my stay at the higher category and/or b) I'm getting followup emails showing the higher rate? Is this problem?
As explained in post #118,
there is often a system-generated change that makes it look like the price will go up when checking reservations online and on any reservation confirmation emails for existing bookings that are re-sent after the change takes place. You will be charged what you booked originally, however.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
I was disappointed to see the Plaza Athenee in Bangkok move up to Cat 4. In Bkk, a location where most often it is better to pay cash rates rather than redeem points, the Plaza Athenee offered great value for a 5 night redemption (5th night free) on a Royal Club Room with club benefits for 34000 Starpoints. Perhaps some plats might already get the Royal Club upgrade, but for a non-plat, this was a great way to go. Now at Cat 4, the Plaza Athenee does not present a great value anymore for points redemption on free nights. Oh well, Plaza Athenee was one of the best Starwood Cat 3 properties, so perhaps they deserved a higher category.

While on bkk, I was surprised to see the St. Regis staying at Cat 6 rather than going to a lower category. With placements like that, The Starwood methodology to assign categories remains quite difficult to understand.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:28 pm

The new Aloft in Detroit is going up to a cat 4. Must be strong demand....
Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by factory81
The new Aloft in Detroit is going up to a cat 4. Must be strong demand....
Yes, at the same time Four Points DTW is going down to cat 1, will be one of (only) four cat 1 in USA. Nice to have various choices around the town.

Aloft Detroit is already cat 4, though.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:58 pm

Disappointed that none of the Venice hotels went down in category
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
The Palace Hotel in SF going up to a Cat 6 is surprising. I've stayed there and nothing about it screams Cat 6 to me.
You must not be looking at the rates, since that's the only thing that matters.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's interesting to see the new Sheraton Bloomington (Minnesota), the former Sofitel, go up a category just in the middle of a major renovation continuing into the summer, but they have a good staff and the same GM as the Westin Edina Galleria.
Was there in Nov...maybe it will be nice post-reno, but it's an absolute dump at the moment
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:45 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
I love the Europe changes
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:38 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
I'm happy for the ones I frequent most often! So all in all a good change for my travel pattern!
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:46 am

Four Points by Sheraton Tempe from 2 to 3.

This was the most rundown Four Points I have stayed at. I had already decided to move to the Aloft at the airport for future stays anyway.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:22 pm

Really liked four points San Diego as a cat 2 but going to cat 3 roughly doubles the points needed to stay there.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:36 pm

Hey Pew Pew: Stay at the Grand Bretagne but do eat at the King George -- sublime salmon -- the BEST I've ever eaten.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
You know the changes are great when the announcement thread is only five pages long after two days (last year's announcement was double that in the same amount of time) and the biggest complaints seem to be random Aloft and Four Points in places like Cupertino and Nashville.

Originally Posted by lenny851
Disappointed that none of the Venice hotels went down in category
I really thought the Danieli had a good shot at falling to a category 6 since it only went up two years ago. Maybe next year. I guess the Westin E&R could have dropped too, but I thought the Danieli would be the most likely of all the Venice properties. Rates at the St. Regis and Gritti are probably too high to ever expect a drop in category unless the Euro starts trading at .50 to the U.S. dollar.

I also highly recommend the Grand Bretagne now that it's dropping back to a category 5. Stayed there last year and it's a fantastic property.

Ms. Tigre is very sad the Parker is moving back up but is delighted that Maui is back on the dance card. Overall, I'm pretty happy myself.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Very fair changes, especially in light of Marriott's release of its changes!
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
This times well with my upcoming E. Europe trip. The price/points ratio was out of whack because of exchange rate changes, perfect timing for me as I'm trying to burn SPG points
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Not a big deal but : Four Points by Sheraton Boston Logan Airport - 3 to 4 - seriously ???
I swear this was a "fat finger" (Wall Street term on the floor). They meant to press 1, but somehow a 4 came out. Is this going to Cat 4 because of the restaurant that's always closed during arrivals, or is it because of the ... gee shall I fill in the blank? Loooooooooooong shuttle ride.....??

Who's smoking the hootch at this hotel. Who got the memo?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.