Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Announcing SPG’s 2015 Category Changes : effective March 10, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 10, 2015, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: daiseee
When did the 2015 Starwood hotel category changes go into effect?
The changes took effect on March 10.
What's the breakdown of properties going up/down?
Based on the initial list of changes--see below for more on this--22% of hotels are changing category. Of these, 10.49% are moving up and 11.78% are moving down.
Where can I find the list of changes?
The initial list can be found here.

Note that the initial list is not final or authoritative, and that additional changes (or even reversal of changes proposed in the initial list) have been made & may continue to occur. To date, these include
  • The Royal Palm going up to 6
  • Le Méridien Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok Golf Resort & Spa going up to 3
  • W Bangkok remaining 4
  • Le Méridien Taipei remaining 6
  • Sheraton Mahwah remaining 4
  • Heathrow Sheraton remaining 3
  • Westin LAX remaining 4
  • Le Westin Montreal remaining 5
  • Aloft Buffalo Airport going down to 2
  • Aloft Tampa Downtown going down to 3
  • Sheraton Gran Canaria going up to 4
I booked a property before the category went up, but a) now my online reservation prices my stay at the higher category and/or b) I'm getting followup emails showing the higher rate? Is this problem?
As explained in post #118,
there is often a system-generated change that makes it look like the price will go up when checking reservations online and on any reservation confirmation emails for existing bookings that are re-sent after the change takes place. You will be charged what you booked originally, however.
Print Wikipost

Announcing SPG’s 2015 Category Changes : effective March 10, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by heakja
A lot up in the US, a lot down in Europe. Just as expected.
Many of the category changes seem to reflect changes in exchange rates.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's interesting to see the new Sheraton Bloomington (Minnesota), the former Sofitel, go up a category just in the middle of a major renovation continuing into the summer, but they have a good staff and the same GM as the Westin Edina Galleria.

It's also interesting that the Westin Verasa Napa moved up a category, given their damage from the earthquake and resulting closure for months of rooms and facilities.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:43 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
These changes work out well for me. At least there isn't a huge bumper crop of hotels moving up in category!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:58 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
I count 125 moving up and 138 moving down. Nice to see more moving down than up.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:06 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
I like the changes, thanks.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:01 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Announcing SPG’s 2015 Category Changes

This annual head's up is most appreciated and just another reason we are SPG fans.

The changes this year seem mostly logical with a few happy surprises. There are 2 hotels on the list that are going up a category that we planned for points stays in 2016 and we are thankful for the opportunity to book now at current redemption rates.

Thanks Lurkers
Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:30 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Congrats to SPG for the reasonable changes. A reason to stick with SPG!
Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:42 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
It amazes me how Le Meridien Jakarta moved from Cat 2 to Cat 3 two years ago, and now goes from Cat 3 to Cat 4. But the hotel remains as dumpy as ever.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Announcing SPG’s 2015 Category Changes

Quite pleased here as well with the outcome, in particular reversing some of the excessive changes from last year in Europe (such as Fuschl back to cat 6). Quite possibly the weak EUR has helped.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Since when Tunisia was part of Europe?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Many of the category changes seem to reflect changes in exchange rates.
Yes, and a good example is the welcome return of LM Vienna to the cat 4 fold after a few years at cat 5. Let's hope it sticks this time even after the rev rates go back up in dollar terms.

Like many others, I think this is a pretty measured set of changes from SPG. Some travelers win & some lose out, but I see no overall chart inflation given the balance of movement up & down.

Finally, congrats to MSPeconomist on achieving FT Legend status.^
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Westin Bahrain going up to cat 6 hurts as that was a good points option. The le meridien is very comparable next store so that is where i'll be.

The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, Abu Dhabi is a great property and I wished it was still at cat 5, but moving up is not a surprise.

Aloft Cupertino goes up to cat 5? An Aloft can be a cat 5? I don't think so IMO. Maybe in NYC but outside of that.... no. Also the four points in Cupertino goes up to 5..... I have seen some very nice four points.. such as in Dubai but not in the US.

I really want to try out the Schloss Fuschl, a Luxury Collection Resort &
Spa, Fuschlsee-Salzburg and going down to a cat 6 makes it much more feasible.

Le Méridien Vienna is a very good value at cat 4. Been there and prime location and new amenities inside hotel. Great value for Vienna.

I like the Greek properties going down and with teh Euro tanking this summer is looking like my first trip to Greece.

I also like all the Colorado properties going down, these are some of the very best scenery in the USA so very exciting as I'll be there this summer.

Overall I'm pleased really.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:30 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by schley
Aloft Cupertino goes up to cat 5? An Aloft can be a cat 5? I don't think so IMO. Maybe in NYC but outside of that.... no. Also the four points in Cupertino goes up to 5..... I have seen some very nice four points.. such as in Dubai but not in the US.
The incredible price inflation in the West Coast has made some of it more expensive than New York - and you can see that in the category changes.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:18 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by schley

I really want to try out the Schloss Fuschl, a Luxury Collection Resort &
Spa, Fuschlsee-Salzburg and going down to a cat 6 makes it much more feasible.

Overall I'm pleased really.

We absolutely loved SF. It's a lovely property and this inspires us to visit there again. The grounds are gorgeous and it was one of our favorite breakfast buffets in Europe. Hardly any Americans when we were there (late October)
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
An attempt at a quick analysis. Numbers are close to, though not exactly the same as, SPG's, so I may be off here and there.

Pretty close to a net wash across the board. It's good to see my ITC regulars in India, the properties in Maui, and the ski resorts in Beaver Creek and Steamboat, going down.

Last edited by CPRich; Feb 24, 2015 at 1:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.