Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2015 : *now 20% off*; Success, failure & discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Signed-in FT members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost.

What is the Best Rate Guarantee (BRG ?)
If a lower rate at a Starwood Hotel is made available on a non-Starwood website or non-Starwood mobile application, upon its receipt of a claim that satisfies these Best Rate Guarantee terms and conditions, Starwood will honor that Competing Rate and provide the individual that submitted the valid claim one of the following rewards: (1) an additional 20% discount off the Competing Rate per room per night (up to a maximum of three rooms); or (2) 2,000 Starwood Preferred Guest® Starpoints® per room per stay (up to a maximum of three rooms).

BRG Wiki on Flyertalk

• You cannot BRG against a rate on a Starwood Website/App (hot escapes, promos, Gov. Rate etc.). It has to be a 3rd party website/App.
• Cancellation policy has no bearing on a BRG claim with one exception if the rate difference is within 1%.
"Starwood may deny claims where the difference between the Competing Rate and the rate on the Starwood Website is less than one percent; provided that Starwood will not use the fact that the difference between the Competing Rate and the rate on the Starwood Website is less than one percent to deny such claims if the cancellation policy for the Competing Rate is more favorable to the guest than the cancellation policy for the rate on the Starwood Website."
A valid Starwood website reservation is required to submit a BRG (only exception is when there is no availability on the Starwood website)
• Only one claim may be submitted per reservation number (If your first claim is denied, you may submit a new claim for that reservation if you find another lower rate after you receive the denial email)
• Make sure to book a flexible rate on SPG.com. This will allow you to then cancel this booking if you find a lower Starwood rate later (like the hot escapes etc.) or if your travel plans change.
• You can BRG with a flexible rate against a prepaid rate. In other words, if expedia is offering a room for $100 prepaid, and spg.com shows a prepaid room for $150 or a flexible room for $200, you can book the FLEXIBLE spg.com rate and BRG it against the PREPAID $100 expedia rate. And you will receive the flexible cancel terms if the BRG is approved.
• If your comparable rate includes extras like breakfast or parking, make sure there is a room available on spg.com that includes the exact amenities. If there is the same room type with the same amenities on SPG.com, they will compare and if lower on third party, the claim may be approved for the room type and with the amenities. If there is the same room type available but no/different amenities offered, the claim may still be approved, but the rate will be room only.
• Room types must be the same for a BRG.
• If you have an approved and finalized claim and you find an even cheaper rate later, then you may submit a new BRG claim that is not connected to any existing reservation. If this BRG claim is approved, you will need to make a new flexible reservation on SPG.com. Once the process is completed, you will then email the BRG desk to cancel your first reservation, if it is within the cancellation deadline.
• If you find availability for the room type you want on a third party website/app but there is no availability for that room type or no availability for any room type on the Starwood Website, then this may be an approved claim if it meets all other terms and conditions. You will need to make sure that you specify the room type you actually want on the Starwood Website section and enter 0 in the rate and currency. This will ensure that the processing associates know that the room type you want is not available on the Starwood Website. You may also add additional comments near the end of the claim form indicating that there is no availability on the Starwood Website to help clarify.

Differing currencies
• "The Best Rate Guarantee department will approve a claim if there is a difference of 2.5% or greater where the currencies are different or a difference of 1% or greater if the currencies are the same."

Link to T&C
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/bestrate/terms.html

Practicalities During/After Stay
• Reconfirm your rate at check-in; normally the hotel will have the correct BRG rate in your reservation, but sometimes you will need to remind them.
• If you choose points, they will be credited after the stay; check in one week to see if they have posted. If not contact the BRG office to arrange to have them posted.

How to add a SNA to a BRG reservation
• Click on your stays to view our your current reservation
• Look for your BRG reservation and click on "send confirmation" link for the BRG reservation
• reload the page and you should be able to now select "apply SNA to this stay" link
Print Wikipost

Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2015 : *now 20% off*; Success, failure & discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:55 pm

Do you always get a generic acknowledgement email shortly after submitting a claim?

I have had one successful claim - before I found this very helpful thread. Last time I had a generic email stating that they had received my claim not long after I had submitted it. I put in a claim several hours ago but have not had an acknowledgement. Don't want to submit the same claim twice but if the acknowledgement email is always sent it would appear that my claim didn't register for some reason. If it's the case that sometimes you get an email, sometimes not, then I'll wait to see if I get a response in the next 24 hours or so.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
You always get the automatic e-mail reply. After that, wait patiently for a non-automatic reply Yes, it can and sometimes does take over 24 hours, two years ago double the amount.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, PC Plat Amb, BA EC Gold, Asiana Diamond, TK Elite
Originally Posted by fakeman
I just got a deny.....the reason is.....conversion rate......
=================
I have reviewed the rates for an Executive Club at the Sheraton Towers Singapore for the dates of your claim, on our website I found a rate of 313.17 SGD per night, plus taxes and service charge which is lower than the rate of 317.05 SGD (1838.75 HKD) per night, plus taxes and service charge found on expedia.com.hk. Since the rate is lower on our website, I am not able to approve your claim. Mr. Wong, for your convenience, I have created this live link for you where you can access our most up to date best available rates.
=================
First of all, HKD 1838.75......is about SGD 296, even with fluctuations, it wouldn't go beyond SGD 300....and they deny my claim based on this, and not to mention the original rate posted on SPG website was 318 (to be exact, 317.5) but not 313.17....

I've just sent back some screen shots to CS, dunno how long I have to wait....
SPG is only using www.xe.com for the currency conversion.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by remymartin
You always get the automatic e-mail reply. After that, wait patiently for a non-automatic reply Yes, it can and sometimes does take over 24 hours, two years ago double the amount.
Thanks for your quick reply. So think it's likely my claim didn't get through - I'll wait till tomorrow and if I've not had an automatic email reply I'll resubmit it.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:19 pm

So I received the approval for a BRG, and from the wiki and comments a few post back, I wanted to confirm that even though the price on booking.com was non-refundable, I should still book the even more expensive refundable rate from spg.com?

Example: SPG.com had rate of $120(non-refund) and $200(refundable). Booking.com has the room for $100(non-refund). So if this was approved, I should book the $200 room, and when I send my confirmation, they will adjust the price for $80? Even if the BRG claim price for spg.com was submitted as the $120(non-refund)?

Sorry if this is extremely confusing!!
Old Jan 21, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: SPG Plat(100), Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Avis First, United Gold
Correct, always book a refundable rate and use the prepaid rate as BRG

Number of Adults :1
Number of Children : 0
Number of Rooms : 1
Room Type On Reservation: Accessible, non-smoking
Rate On Reservation : USD 225.0 ---> refundable rate
New Starwood Room Type : classic
New Starwood Rate : USD 175 --> pre paid rate used for BRG
Competing Website : booking.com
Competing rate : USD 140 --> BRG rate
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:39 pm

Filed my first ever BRG claim and it was denied. The lower rate I got on booking.com (claim was filed after I reserved the room) was only available after signing in, so it was deemed to be "members only" rate leading to denial. I'm pretty sure that anyone who cares to create an account and sign in to booking.com would get it. Did not expect much out of it, so not particularly disappointed (and got $40 off the best rate on Starwood site anyway), just thought I'll let people know that under similar circumstances your claim is unlikely to be approved.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by fakeman
First of all, HKD 1838.75......is about SGD 296, even with fluctuations, it wouldn't go beyond SGD 300....and they deny my claim based on this, and not to mention the original rate posted on SPG website was 318 (to be exact, 317.5) but not 313.17....

I've just sent back some screen shots to CS, dunno how long I have to wait....
Conversion right now on XE.com shows:

1,838.75 HKD = 316.393 SGD
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by SadKingBilly
Filed my first ever BRG claim and it was denied. The lower rate I got on booking.com (claim was filed after I reserved the room) was only available after signing in, so it was deemed to be "members only" rate leading to denial. I'm pretty sure that anyone who cares to create an account and sign in to booking.com would get it. Did not expect much out of it, so not particularly disappointed (and got $40 off the best rate on Starwood site anyway), just thought I'll let people know that under similar circumstances your claim is unlikely to be approved.
That's true, it has to be a publicly available rate, not members rate.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by tvervenne
Correct, always book a refundable rate and use the prepaid rate as BRG

Number of Adults :1
Number of Children : 0
Number of Rooms : 1
Room Type On Reservation: Accessible, non-smoking
Rate On Reservation : USD 225.0 ---> refundable rate
New Starwood Room Type : classic
New Starwood Rate : USD 175 --> pre paid rate used for BRG
Competing Website : booking.com
Competing rate : USD 140 --> BRG rate
And this also works if you didn't have a booking already? The rates I used for the BRG were non-refundable, but now I can just book the refundable rate(which is higher), and they will apply it to BRG price? Sorry again for the confusion.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa
And this also works if you didn't have a booking already? The rates I used for the BRG were non-refundable, but now I can just book the refundable rate(which is higher), and they will apply it to BRG price? Sorry again for the confusion.
That is correct, you don't even need a booking in the first place.

I suggest you read the wikipost at the top of this thread. All the info you need is there.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck
That is correct, you don't even need a booking in the first place.

I suggest you read the wikipost at the top of this thread. All the info you need is there.
Thanks again. I re-read the wiki about 10 times, but the wording about booking a refundable rate after being approved for prices that were non-refundable is throwing me off a bit.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa
the wording about booking a refundable rate after being approved for prices that were non-refundable is throwing me off a bit.
After you've been approved, you can make your booking on spg.com using any available rate for the appropriate room type. It doesn't matter whether the rate being matched is refundable or not - you can always book a fully refundable rate on spg.com.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
If i want to BRG 2 rooms(20% D/C) with separate booking in same hotel and same date
i need to ?
1.submit 1 BRG Claim and at claim form choose 2 rooms then make 2 separate booking after BRG approved.
or
2.submit 2 BRG Claim and do as normal procedure.

???
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
I wanted to post a couple of kudos to the BRG Team from this week.

As most of FTers know, the response times for the English websites have been slower than usual, which can be frustrating for us. The response time for the non-English websites has been pushing the 48 hour mark as well, which can seem like an aeon, while waiting for a response.

I had 5 interactions via email and phone with the St Thomas, ON team yesterday and each one was professional and pleasant.

In one situation, expedia.com, showed a rate that would qualify but in the next step there was a booking error message, so these things happen.

In the other situation, I requested a time-sensitive review of a BRG claim for an aloft property and it was done within an hour.

When I think of the ridiculous responses (or lack of responses) from Hilton, Marriott, IHG or Accor...Starwood shines. The only other 2 hotel chains that have been very user-friendly in the BRG claim process have been Fairmont and Delta Hotels, which must be done in front of a computer and via the phone only.

Kudos to the BRG Team!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.