Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2015 : *now 20% off*; Success, failure & discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Signed-in FT members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost.

What is the Best Rate Guarantee (BRG ?)
If a lower rate at a Starwood Hotel is made available on a non-Starwood website or non-Starwood mobile application, upon its receipt of a claim that satisfies these Best Rate Guarantee terms and conditions, Starwood will honor that Competing Rate and provide the individual that submitted the valid claim one of the following rewards: (1) an additional 20% discount off the Competing Rate per room per night (up to a maximum of three rooms); or (2) 2,000 Starwood Preferred GuestŽ StarpointsŽ per room per stay (up to a maximum of three rooms).

BRG Wiki on Flyertalk

• You cannot BRG against a rate on a Starwood Website/App (hot escapes, promos, Gov. Rate etc.). It has to be a 3rd party website/App.
• Cancellation policy has no bearing on a BRG claim with one exception if the rate difference is within 1%.
"Starwood may deny claims where the difference between the Competing Rate and the rate on the Starwood Website is less than one percent; provided that Starwood will not use the fact that the difference between the Competing Rate and the rate on the Starwood Website is less than one percent to deny such claims if the cancellation policy for the Competing Rate is more favorable to the guest than the cancellation policy for the rate on the Starwood Website."
• A valid Starwood website reservation is required to submit a BRG (only exception is when there is no availability on the Starwood website)
• Only one claim may be submitted per reservation number (If your first claim is denied, you may submit a new claim for that reservation if you find another lower rate after you receive the denial email)
• Make sure to book a flexible rate on SPG.com. This will allow you to then cancel this booking if you find a lower Starwood rate later (like the hot escapes etc.) or if your travel plans change.
• You can BRG with a flexible rate against a prepaid rate. In other words, if expedia is offering a room for $100 prepaid, and spg.com shows a prepaid room for $150 or a flexible room for $200, you can book the FLEXIBLE spg.com rate and BRG it against the PREPAID $100 expedia rate. And you will receive the flexible cancel terms if the BRG is approved.
• If your comparable rate includes extras like breakfast or parking, make sure there is a room available on spg.com that includes the exact amenities. If there is the same room type with the same amenities on SPG.com, they will compare and if lower on third party, the claim may be approved for the room type and with the amenities. If there is the same room type available but no/different amenities offered, the claim may still be approved, but the rate will be room only.
• Room types must be the same for a BRG.
• If you have an approved and finalized claim and you find an even cheaper rate later, then you may submit a new BRG claim that is not connected to any existing reservation. If this BRG claim is approved, you will need to make a new flexible reservation on SPG.com. Once the process is completed, you will then email the BRG desk to cancel your first reservation, if it is within the cancellation deadline.
• If you find availability for the room type you want on a third party website/app but there is no availability for that room type or no availability for any room type on the Starwood Website, then this may be an approved claim if it meets all other terms and conditions. You will need to make sure that you specify the room type you actually want on the Starwood Website section and enter 0 in the rate and currency. This will ensure that the processing associates know that the room type you want is not available on the Starwood Website. You may also add additional comments near the end of the claim form indicating that there is no availability on the Starwood Website to help clarify.

Differing currencies
• "The Best Rate Guarantee department will approve a claim if there is a difference of 2.5% or greater where the currencies are different or a difference of 1% or greater if the currencies are the same."

Link to T&C
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/bestrate/terms.html

Practicalities During/After Stay
• Reconfirm your rate at check-in; normally the hotel will have the correct BRG rate in your reservation, but sometimes you will need to remind them.
• If you choose points, they will be credited after the stay; check in one week to see if they have posted. If not contact the BRG office to arrange to have them posted.

How to add a SNA to a BRG reservation
• Click on your stays to view our your current reservation
• Look for your BRG reservation and click on "send confirmation" link for the BRG reservation
• reload the page and you should be able to now select "apply SNA to this stay" link
Print Wikipost

Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2015 : *now 20% off*; Success, failure & discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
This latest change doubles the discount on a successful BRG claim. Definitely makes the value proposition more attractive when there is no price parody between Starwood and some OTA.

Even better news for StayAngel members who now get an extra discount from Starwood for using the automated BRG features.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Another fail. This one was legit as the rate was gone by the time they checked it. But it was available on Thursday (day brg was submitted) and all day Friday. They didn't check until Saturday. Way to work the system *Wood... delay until the rate disappears. Doesn't instill confidence. But at 20% I will keep trying.

btw - what is everyone's experience re cancel policy on BRG? Is it matched exactly how the OTA shows? In my limited successful experience I've found they are more lenient than the OTA... and usually provide me with 24 hr cancel. Is this more of the norm?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Another fail. This one was legit as the rate was gone by the time they checked it. But it was available on Thursday (day brg was submitted) and all day Friday. They didn't check until Saturday. Way to work the system *Wood... delay until the rate disappears. Doesn't instill confidence. But at 20% I will keep trying.

btw - what is everyone's experience re cancel policy on BRG? Is it matched exactly how the OTA shows? In my limited successful experience I've found they are more lenient than the OTA... and usually provide me with 24 hr cancel. Is this more of the norm?
Cancellation policy has no bearing for brg approvals. So it depends what one has booked on spg.com. if you booked a prepaid rate, youll get its corresponding cancellation policy. If you book a flex rate, youll get its cancellation policy.

So always book a flex rate when brg'ing so youll get flex cancellation policy, even though the ota has a 100% non-refundable cancel policy

And for post #75:

Ex. If there is classic room on OTA but none available on spg.com and the lowest category is superior, IMEs i would just book superior flex rate and they will change the room category in their end. So to answer ur question, if they ask u to book a room to get your confirmation #, then book the lowest category available on spg.com that has a flex cancellable policy

Last edited by supatight80; Jan 10, 2015 at 1:52 pm
Old Jan 10, 2015, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by supatight80
Cancellation policy has no bearing for brg approvals. So it depends what one has booked on spg.com. if you booked a prepaid rate, youll get its corresponding cancellation policy. If you book a flex rate, youll get its cancellation policy.

So always book a flex rate when brg'ing so youll get flex cancellation policy, even though the ota has a 100% non-refundable cancel policy
Very helpful explanation, thanks!
Old Jan 10, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Very helpful explanation, thanks!
Yep, it's already covered in the wiki as well.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:45 pm

Another fail. This one was legit as the rate was gone by the time they checked it. But it was available on Thursday (day brg was submitted) and all day Friday. They didn't check until Saturday. Way to work the system *Wood... delay until the rate disappears.
I'm in the same boat with you. Usually they respond within 24 hours, mostly in about 12-16 hours. I had a couple of brg claims and while I'm not getting any responds for 26 hours, both of those rates have just disappeared.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Is there a preferred site to look for rates?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:32 am

I use HotelsCombined, Trivago and Kayak. All are meta sites and search numerous travel sites at once saving me the hassle of looking them up one by one.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by supatight80
^^^ I wish I had understood this earlier. I now understand why some people have almost all their stays as BRG. This should help in sustaining my homelessness.

Big thank you, as I definitely had not understood this from the wiki as-is.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by YXXFlyer
^^^ I wish I had understood this earlier. I now understand why some people have almost all their stays as BRG. This should help in sustaining my homelessness.

I see, glad that you know how it works.

Not sure was it there before but the wiki does mention it.

• Make sure to book a flexible rate on SPG.com. This will allow you to then cancel this booking if you find a lower Starwood rate later (like the hot escapes etc.) or if your travel plans change.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by YXXFlyer

Youre welcome Count me in as one of those people who's paid stays are almost always brg Next month, 15/16 nights or 8/9 stays are brg so that's 16K addtnl points for just 1 trip.

Just keep in mind that rates (both spg.com and ota) do fluctuate daily so persistence, lots of patience, good timing, and a lot of luck (that rates hasnt changed) is key to success. Took me an entire week to get these brg rates approved. So dont lose hope.

Also during peak season in that country/continent, it gets harder to brg IME. So plan accordingly if you want all your stays to be brg rates. Low season = higher chances to brg. Peak season = use points that u got from brg. IME, thats how i do it.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 3:39 pm

I find Taipei properties are super pricey even with a BRG rate.

Will probably use points or C&P for my short April 2 nighter.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:28 am
J00

First try, first success

Hotel Name: Le Méridien Angkor
Arrival Date : 08/xx/2015
Departure Date : 08/xx/2015
Number of Adults :2
Number of Rooms : 1
New Starwood Room Type : Superior w Breakfast prepaid
New Starwood Rate : USD 160
Competing Website : Onhotels.com
Competing rate : USD 120.79
Competing Room Type : Superior
Competing Site Language : en_US
Comments : Please note that the price listed on the competing site (362.37$) is for the whole stay and includes tax, so price per night is 100.81$ (362.37 - 2.1% tax - 7% tax - 10.71% tax = 302.45 / 3 = 100.81).
BRG Reward : tenPercent
Actual confirmed rate: $80.66 per night, taxes excluded ($100.82 less 20%)
Old Jan 12, 2015, 5:37 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Hmm, they have been fast in processing my claim recently, although all has been rejected. However my latest attempt wasn't answered for about 40 hours now, is that normal? I hope my price will still show on the third party side when they finally seen it.

Do you guys keep on trying when claims got rejected? I have to be honest to say, i have been trying daily for the past few days whenever it get rejected.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by shevboyz
Hmm, they have been fast in processing my claim recently, although all has been rejected. However my latest attempt wasn't answered for about 40 hours now, is that normal? I hope my price will still show on the third party side when they finally seen it.

Do you guys keep on trying when claims got rejected? I have to be honest to say, i have been trying daily for the past few days whenever it get rejected.
I recently got 2 approved on my second try... both took >36 hours to get responses. But at 20% I think it's worth it to keep trying. Depending on the length of your stay 20% can result in a decent discount. I saved ~$400 ($200 each) on my last two successful BRGs. Both took multiple requests to *Wood. One shouldn't have (as the rep was just wrong on the first look) and the other was denied correctly (albeit due to their slow response times). Nevertheless, for $400 in savings it was worth the hassle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.