Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$200 Check from SPG Amex

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

$200 Check from SPG Amex

Just received a check for $200 saying that they had failed to credit my account with the proper amount of starpoints. Seems kind of strange. Has anyone ever received something like this before?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:47 pm

I just received the exact same thing with a similar cryptic message.

Does anyone know what this is for? Do we know how they valued the points (as I would like prefer 20k starpoints over $200 if that is indeed the amount).
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
So did my mother (I manage her account). Very odd, because I am 100 percent sure ever point posted...
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond,Ambassador Club,Delta FF,USAIR FF
We also received $200 as well today - really wish they had provided more details.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 5:39 pm

ditto

just got mine today for the "delay". i don't really remember a delay, but I'm pretty sure I've gotten all my points, so they aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

Also, I'm assuming the is for a Business card I opened about 6 months ago, vs. the Personal card I've had opened for a few years now-- unless this isn't bonus related, but I don't really put a lot of spend in the Personal so it would be pretty darn generous of them to give me $200
Old Oct 3, 2014, 5:43 pm

language

"reimbursement for the value of the Starwood Starpoints that we were unable to apply to your account at the time you earned them"

So, actually to me it's unclear now if this was for a simple delay, or they think they didn't post at all. This is truly weird.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Platinum
$600

Another thing that is unusual about this is that all the reported amounts are in hundred dollar increments. if they were reimbursing for Starpoints wouldn't they likely would be in various odd amounts? We cancelled my wife's Starwood card at least 5 - 8 years ago. Anyway, we'll cash her $600 check tomorrow.

Last edited by dfwdal; Oct 3, 2014 at 9:18 pm
Old Oct 4, 2014, 1:36 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I would not cash any check that I did not know why I received it.

Often there is a catch - "cash this check and you're forever enrolled in the Jelly of the Month Club" or something equally awful (seriously, often some type of insurance or roadside assistance or warranty program).

Does everything about these checks scream authentic SPG Amex?

And why send you cash, why not just give the elusive points?
Old Oct 4, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: DL Spam; SPG Gold; other randoms
I received a $200 check yesterday as well. I genuinely have no idea why--I don't recall missing out on any bonuses. @Eujeanie--the check looks completely legit--drawn off JPMorgan Chase Bank. There aren't any "weasel words" anywhere that would lead anyone to think that cashing it enters one into a contract of any sort. In fact, the letter states "You don't need to take any further action before using this check."

Weird--but I'm inclined to take it at face value (which is $200!)
Old Oct 4, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Starwood Platinum
Compensation

Who do i contact for compensation as i didn't get a check?
Old Oct 4, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
My wife got one ($200) earlier in the week. I checked her account and there are no missing points, and no obvious delays.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Originally Posted by uhclem
I received a $200 check yesterday as well. I genuinely have no idea why--I don't recall missing out on any bonuses. @Eujeanie--the check looks completely legit--drawn off JPMorgan Chase Bank. There aren't any "weasel words" anywhere that would lead anyone to think that cashing it enters one into a contract of any sort. In fact, the letter states "You don't need to take any further action before using this check."

Weird--but I'm inclined to take it at face value (which is $200!)
I would cash the check at a JP Morgan Chase Bank
Old Oct 4, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
I also received a $200. check. I checked my last 12 months amex Starwood statements - all posted correctly. gift horse, mouth.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 1:31 pm

Sounds like the sort of thing you might get as settlement for a class-action suit. However, if there was such a case being pursued, you all would have been notified at some point. Plus, I can't believe anything like that related to AmEx AND SPG it wouldn't have been discussed somewhere on FT.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
And why send a check? Why not a statement credit?

Not that I don't hope I get one, too, but still sounds fishy to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.