Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$200 Check from SPG Amex

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
What did the envelope look like? I've had an SPG AmEx for years (low activity, though and thought I'd recieved all my points in any case) and haven't received a check, but I wonder if I'd tossed the envelope 'cause it looked like junk mail?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:11 pm

I bet the checks are an attempt to avoid another Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) settlement/order.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-1...d-add-ons.html
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
My wife got a check, and hasn't had a card in quite a while. I've been a cardholder for years (both personal and business), and got nothing.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:43 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Exclamation

Originally Posted by onlybeef42
I bet the checks are an attempt to avoid another Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) settlement/order.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-1...d-add-ons.html
This appears to be the reason why CA card holders did not receive!
Old Oct 26, 2014, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Titanium; Priority Club Platinum; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Unfortunately, depending on which card it's for, they may have an obsolete address for us (and our forwarding just expired). Oh well, it's found money anyway so I'm not really concerned.
Mr. Itrvl and I each received a $200 check on SPG Amex Business accounts that were closed in Sept. and Oct. 2011 respectively. One other time I received a check for the same reason for a Hilton Optima Amex, but that was for $5 and change.

mahasamatman, we moved about 6 months ago and the checks came to our current address, so I'm guessing that if you have a current AMEX account, they will find you.

Our checks were cut in late Sept., but we were out of town for 3 1/2 weeks so they were just opened today. Going to deposit in my Chase "fun money" account.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Anyone else still holding out? Nervous because of things like this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-...employees.html
Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:12 pm

What did the envelopes look like? Did they explicitly say "American Express" as the sender?
Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
What did the envelopes look like? Did they explicitly say "American Express" as the sender?
Standard #13 envelope. Amex return address (as I recall). Some text on the front about it being important and not throwing it away.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Some text on the front about it being important and not throwing it away.
Grrrr ... then I'm sure I've shredded mine, then (I get a lot of junk mail telling me how important it is)

Did anyone happen to recall any phone number(s) on it? Maybe I can call and get a replacement?
Old Oct 26, 2014, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I'm sure I've shredded mine, then
There's a good chance you never got one. I never did.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I never got one, either, but sounds like they were from several years ago (a class action suit that was finally settled) - our affinity Amex cards are more recent. Oh well. Easy not come, easy not go.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I never got one, and I've had an Amex SPG card for a number of years.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: HH diamond
It sounds like these checks were sent only to those who had and closed a SPG AMEX business card awhile ago. I closed mine in 2011 and got a check.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I received a letter today stating that I received a statement credit on one of my AMEX cards (the last 5 digits match my SPG Personal card and no others have these ending 5 digits). When I logged in to see if there was a credit on my account, I noticed the following entry from 12 days ago (the letter is dated one week later on 10/22).

Oct 15 2014
Credit Adjustment for Billing Inquiry
-$35.00

I have no charges for $35.00 at any point in the past 25 months nor anything with "Inquiry" in the name.

The text of the letter:

Account Ending In: XXXXX
Our Reference: CAT - XXXXX

Dear Jibi,

We recently discovered that we did not issue your annual renewal benefit. At American Express, we are committed to providing you with the best possible experience which includes informing you when an error has occurred.

You are Receiving A Statement Credit
We are issuing a credit to your account as reimbursement for the value of the annual renewal benefit. You will see this credit on an upcoming statement.

If the statement credit results in a credit balance on your account and you would like to receive a refund, we can issue you a check. Please visit americanexpress.com/inquirycenter to open an inquiry or call the number on the back of your Card.

As a reminder, you can always track your credits and spending online at americanexpress.com.

What Happened
Due to a technical error, when your Membership fee was waived we mistakenly disqualified you from receiving your annual renewal benefit. We have now corrected this technical error.

We apologize for not sending your annual renewal benefit to you, and any inconvenience it may have caused. If you have any questions, please call the number on the back of your Card to ensure that you receive the best experience possible.

Thank you for your continued Card Membership.

Sincerely,

American Express Customer Care
I see no other credits and there are no open inquiries. I'm hoping it will be for more, as I'm not sure which annual benefits they are referring to that they did not provide me. I also have not received a waiver in many years, if ever on this account. I did receive 7,000 points as a retention bonus, but that comes out to a half-cent per point.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
What "renewal benefit" do you usually get on a personal SPG Amex? I don't get one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.