Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

"Paid Breakfast cannot be transferred to children"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Paid Breakfast cannot be transferred to children"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Often1
This is just someone who wants it both ways, is used to getting away with it and ran up against a competent staff which does a good job, both for the customer and their employer.
Agree

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'm very surprised you find this to be the case in Japan. In my experience, I've always seen higher charges there based on occupancy. You also need to be very careful elsewhere. In some countries, there are strict restrictions on room occupancy. Trying to get four people into a room designed for two can get you and the hotel in trouble, and they could potentially invalidate your reservation. You really should always list the correct number of people if you don't want to take the risk. It's like speeding - you may have gotten away with it for years, but that doesn't mean you won't get caught at some point.
Very sound advice! ^ I too have always seen higher rates when the occupancy number increases.

It would get the hotel in trouble, per say, but many hotels are historic and in certain cities/regions/countries local codes make it mandatory that the property know the exact amount of guests in the room.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:42 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
The title is misleading.

It should read:

"Paid breakfast cannot be transferred to people who are not registered guests".
Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DCF
The title is misleading.

It should read:

Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
No need to exaggeratedly beat up on OP, imho.

Seriously? A HUGE "1" ?
Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DCF
The title is misleading.

It should read:

Excuse me this isnt the place to be bringing up the facts. If I decide to rip-off a hotel how dare they stick to their T&Cs
Old Dec 29, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Wow. I thought the whole point of FT was to stretch the limits, and here everybody is coming down on the OP for thinking that he might be able to redistribute the 4 breakfasts he was entitled to

Rather than taking shots at the OP why not try to help him out ? This is a community, not a blog with a hoard of trolls in the comments.
The idea to give the kids the plat vouchers is a good one.
Otherwise chalk it down to experience, but my 2c is that the OPs expectation is reasonable, and such strict interpretation of the fine print is simply bad CS.

FWIW, I often forget to change number of guests from 1 when I make a rez when traveling with family, and have never, ever had an issue. I do check max occupancy for the room type, and never hide the size of the party when checking in.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by DCF
The title is misleading.

It should read:

But as I read, he did declare the kids at check-in, so that makes them registered guests. The reservation is null and void at the time of check-in. If the FDC forgot to update the record, that's not the OP's fault.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 10:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dgwright99
Wow. I thought the whole point of FT was to stretch the limits, and here everybody is coming down on the OP for thinking that he might be able to redistribute the 4 breakfasts he was entitled to

Rather than taking shots at the OP why not try to help him out ? This is a community, not a blog with a hoard of trolls in the comments.
The idea to give the kids the plat vouchers is a good one.
Otherwise chalk it down to experience, but my 2c is that the OPs expectation is reasonable, and such strict interpretation of the fine print is simply bad CS.

FWIW, I often forget to change number of guests from 1 when I make a rez when traveling with family, and have never, ever had an issue. I do check max occupancy for the room type, and never hide the size of the party when checking in.
Issues have been pointed out, when you post, here on FT, and you're not within the T&Cs you'll get "opinions". Its not different when when we complain about properties when they don't follow the published T&Cs. When people say dispareging things about properties or staff, rarely do people take to their defense. I'm a firm believer, we can't hold SPG/Starwood to the fire if we dont operate within the published T&Cs ourselves. We can't have it both ways.

I completely disagree with the highlighted above. He didn't disclose the correct number of guests in the room, so he is NOT entitled. If the hotel breaks the rules for this guests, when does it stop? In addition, the hotel could be found to be breaking laws. In addition, the OP might be fined for breaking local law. Having said that, put yourself in the FDA shoes. That person could possibly have lost their job.

The bigger question is why the OP didn't disclose the correct number of people in the room to begin? Going forward, lets hope this is a teachable moment for all. Register all guests of the room to take advantage of the appropriate elite level published benefits.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
...And they are obviously declared when I check-in. I don't believe that violates the "rule" since I'm not asking for anything more than what I paid for... a meal for "up to two guests".
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
...He didn't disclose the correct number of guests in the room, so he is NOT entitled....
But he did declare, just not on the rez. So he should be entitled.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 11:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RogerD408
But he did declare, just not on the rez. So he should be entitled.
"Telling" the hotel and changing the reservation to reflect that four people are occupying the room are two different things.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
"Telling" the hotel and changing the reservation to reflect that four people are occupying the room are two different things.
And once you check in the rez is cancelled/closed and a folio is created. The FDC should have made the change at that time. Fault hotel.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO it's downright fraud to book a hotel for fewer people than will actually stay in the room. If OP knows that children will be traveling, it's wrong to deliberately reserve a rooms for less than the actual number of people who will arrive.

Someday one could arrive to a full hotel in an overbooked city where the reserved and assigned room cannot legally allow so many occupants. I don't see why when would want to take such a risk when traveling with children. At best one should be forced to pay the rack rate for the presidential suite or whatever high room category can officially accommodate the entire group.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 11:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RogerD408
And once you check in the rez is cancelled/closed and a folio is created. The FDC should have made the change at that time. Fault hotel.
Its not clear to me if the OP made this "declaration" at check in or after.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 11:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO it's downright fraud to book a hotel for fewer people than will actually stay in the room. If OP knows that children will be traveling, it's wrong to deliberately reserve a rooms for less than the actual number of people who will arrive.

Someday one could arrive to a full hotel in an overbooked city where the reserved and assigned room cannot legally allow so many occupants. I don't see why when would want to take such a risk when traveling with children. At best one should be forced to pay the rack rate for the presidential suite or whatever high room category can officially accommodate the entire group.

I agree, the rack rate should apply!
Old Dec 29, 2013, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

It's not fraud. If the guest shows up and demands more than what was reserved and expects the rate reserved, THEN there's an issue. I did not read that at all in the OP's post. However, many times my travel plans have changed and people have joined me on a trip at the last minute. Since most sites require a cancel and rebook to change a rez, I won't risk losing my rez if they are fully booked already. Now if I need a larger room or the such then it's up to me to make arrangements. That's why I usually book a room for two from the get go to hedge the bets.

Sounds like the OP has no qualms with making rooms work for his family. And from what I read OP did declare the kids at check-in. So if the FDC did not update the folio properly showing the two kids just like you would expect them to do if your check-out date is different or you wish to add names to the folio for charging.

A friendly chat with the manager should resolve this issue and may educate the property or guest how to make things work right. This is not a clear cut case and I can understand the property not getting it right, but management should be able to correct it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.